Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Post 2 cars of your past, the most reliable and the biggest lemon.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

Post 2 cars of your past, the most reliable and the biggest lemon.

Time for a trip down memory lane. Post your most reliable vehicle you've ever owned and the biggest lemon you've had for laughs! I'll start:

Most reliable: 1989 Honda Civic, 10 years old at time of purchase, 100k miles. Within 2 weeks of getting this Civic, I got into a fender bender on a first date, smashed my front fender. It was a flip light model so everytime it got dark, I had to get out and manually flips both lights up. It also destroyed my front latch forcing me to keep the hood down with tiedowns. I delivered pizzas in this car during college, putting a hard 50k miles on this car for 2 years, with once a year oil changes foolishly. The amount of abuse and neglect this sedan took is amazing.

Least reliable: 2004 Subaru Outback V6 auto. I got it at 115k miles and drove it for 5 years. Subaru reliability is overated in my opinion. I dealt with a broke serpentine belt, 2 new sets of pads and rotors in only 40k miles, multiple failed sensors including crankshaft twice, failed catalytic converter, extreme rust damaged heat shield, muffler, electric seat motor failed, and many fuses.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've had lots of reliable vehicles but one really unreliable one: 1984 F150 2wd. Had the 300ci 6cyl which was reliable but everything around it was falling apart and failing daily. But it was just all used up by the time I acquired it for 450.00 in 1996.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (06-26-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Most reliable - 1986 BMW 325e. Nothing but regular maintenance and it went about 325K miles, it was absolutely amazing. It was the transmission that finally died. If she burned oil I certainly never knew it, never ever really checked it back then.

Least Reliable - 1964 Baja bug. Something broke nearly every other week, but it was a bit of a frankenstein vehicle. Only had it a year and a half.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gone.a For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I haven't owned one car myself long enough to have any good stories, but in the family...

Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    I've had lots of reliable vehicles but one really unreliable one: 1984 F150 2wd. Had the 300ci 6cyl which was reliable but everything around it was falling apart and failing daily. But it was just all used up by the time I acquired it for 450.00 in 1996.
    When I was born, we had an '88 F-150, also with the I6 motor and a lovely blue interior. Same story with us. Endless problems, everything falling apart. Even the paint was falling off after five years. My mom still gets angry any time Ford is mentioned.

In 1994, my dad bought a new Saturn SW1 (a small wagon) with a 5-speed in the bluish-green color popular at the time. We road tripped the whole family in that thing from Georgia to upstate New York several times. He never had a major issue with it, except the odometer failed at 210,000 miles, and he never bothered to fix it. It got a big hole in the fender from a deer impact, since plastic body panels just shatter instead of bending. It probably had over 300k before it finally needed almost as much oil as gas.

I had an 86 bronco with a 300 6 and a 4 spd. I was reliable and would have lasted a long time if I didn't beat the crap out of it. I drove a tree through the grille and rad. Replaced with a 3 core from an old buick and held it in with ratchet straps. Broke the motor mount trying to do burnouts, held it down with more ratchet straps. Then used it to move 4 hrs away then put tow truck lights on it and used it as a yard unit in the junkyard. Then it caught fire. The only problems were caused by driving like a retard. It didn't really ever break down but I did leave it in the bush a few times after burring it in mud.

Attachment 14870
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I see why you wrote "Not For Parts" on the windshield...it doesn't look like there is one good part on it! Seriously, though, I love those old Fords.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-26-2019)

Yeah, there were suprisinly a lot of people wanting to grab the tach dash and oddball tilt column from it. I sold the 1/4 glass then pulled the bronco body and put a 90' truck cab on it. And converted it to propane cause the gas tank leaked. I'm sure it's still parked where I left it.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (06-26-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I had an 86 bronco with a 300 6 and a 4 spd. I was reliable and would have lasted a long time if I didn't beat the crap out of it. I drove a tree through the grille and rad. Replaced with a 3 core from an old buick and held it in with ratchet straps. Broke the motor mount trying to do burnouts, held it down with more ratchet straps. Then used it to move 4 hrs away then put tow truck lights on it and used it as a yard unit in the junkyard. Then it caught fire. The only problems were caused by driving like a retard. It didn't really ever break down but I did leave it in the bush a few times after burring it in mud.

Attachment 14870
    Mad Max truck looks awsome. You could def mount a giant crossbow on the back of that truck.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Most reliable: 1989 Honda Civic, 10 years old at time of purchase. It was a flip light model so everytime it got dark, I had to get out and manually flips both lights up. The amount of abuse and neglect this sedan took is amazing.
    I am a bit confused...you had a 1989 Honda Civic sedan with pop-up headlights? Or does "flip light" mean something else?

I know the Prelude had pop-up headlights, but it was not a sedan.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I am a bit confused...you had a 1989 Honda Civic sedan with pop-up headlights? Or does "flip light" mean something else?

I know the Prelude had pop-up headlights, but it was not a sedan.
    Your completely right, my memory fails me, it was a 1986 Honda Accord sedan with flip lights, the LX I think? Id have to ask my Dad, he was the one who bought it for me in 1999 when I was 17.