Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Salesman led to confusion (considering getting a Mirage)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Salesman led to confusion (considering getting a Mirage)

My apologies if this is the wrong part of the forum.

I was near a Mitsubishi dealership yesterday and decided to stop and check out the mirages they had in stock (only a purple one in manual, what I think I’d prefer.) The salesman (don’t want to give his name) seemed pretty adamant about not being able to add the Rockford fosgate audio as an accessory, only from the factory. Is that actually the case? I was under the impression that you could buy it after the fact and instal it yourself.

He seemed to think the same with the cup holder (and I would assume the fog lights.) Are these all only able to be installed at the dealer or was he just uninformed/trying to get me into a higher/more expensive trim?

I didn’t take the car for a drive (I don’t believe in putting miles on someone else’s car until I’m actually seeking to make a purchase, I’m not going to be on the market for a couple months, and was upfront about that.) I did however notice the shift felt very notchy, at least compared to my first car (a 2004 Nissan Sentra 5spd,) does that improve with time or is that just part of the car.

I tend to drive for fun up in the Adirondack’s as a hobby, and while I realize this is no performance car, people here tend to seem to enjoy the manual as far as driving experience. Is it too lethargic to enjoy on a back mountain road, or does it handle them fine? (Note: planning on getting one of the Daox sway bars if I end up getting one, and also the maintains here are more curvy with occasional dirt roads as opposed to the much more steep mountain passes elsewhere in the country.)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I also wanted to mention that the salesman dismissed the 10k prices people are getting elsewhere as ‘impossible.’ I understand that being in the middle of nowhere they can’t compete with those prices with the volume of sales they get (I’ve seen plenty of automatics listed for ~10k new in NYC and Maryland,) but is it really that unrealistic for them to try to get close to those prices?

It's easy to add the aftermarket arm rest. Many here have done it.

Adding that audio system is doable as well. The salesman may be trying to upsell you into the car already equipped with it?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayer7.62 View Post
    ...The salesman...seemed pretty adamant about not being able to add the Rockford Fosgate audio as an accessory...
    You can most definitely add it yourself after the fact. Mitsubishi sells a kit for that very purpose. You can read someone's account of doing this starting in this thread.

He seemed to think the same with the cup holder (and I would assume the fog lights.) Are these all only able to be installed at the dealer...
    He's uninformed. You can add the cup holder (I assume you mean the center armrest?) and fog lights yourself. If I bought an ES 5-speed I would probably add the fog lights myself.

Is it too lethargic to enjoy on a back mountain road, or does it handle them fine?
    Get a sway bar and you'll be fine. The little 1.2 is happy to rev and is fairly capable for a 74 hp vehicle. Look...this thing isn't a Corvette but it performs pretty well for what it is.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (08-01-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes I meant the armrest lol, my bad. Though it looks like the lid becomes a cup holder when open, interesting quirk. I realize it’s no corvette, my mom has a challenger with a 6.4l v8, it would be idiotic to compare the two, with that car having 5 times the displacement and power (and I can’t help but wonder if that’s the issue with reviewers, alongside them comparing msrp rather than real otd prices)

I really don’t have an interest in the cvt due to the terrain around here, but out of curiosity has anyone taken one into the mountains? I had a Honda Fit with the cvt and that thing really didn’t like anything steep unless in manual mode.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    ...the salesman dismissed the 10k prices people are getting elsewhere as ‘impossible.’
    There is some truth to what he is saying. If there's a new ES 5-speed Mirage available anywhere in the country right now for $10K (without stacking military discount, loyalty discount, corporate partner discount, etc.) I'd like to see it. And if you get it that low, does the dealer charge a $900 "documentation" fee (like a lot of Florida dealers do)?

Based on actual forum member purchases, this may be the best deal going in the country right now. This is a dealer in Minnesota that, for whatever crazy reason, always seems to have 20+ manual transmission Mirages in stock and their prices are consistently low...

Name:  whitebear.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  91.5 KB

That is a real "walk in off the street" price and doesn't include incentives that you likely won't qualify for. The only cheesy thing this dealer seems to be doing now is tacking on $300 for "PLUSE"...which is a device that causes your brake lights to flash when you step on the brakes. That's a BS gimmick...but their price is so low I'd probably pay it anyway.

I haven't seen a single manual transmission Mirage at my local dealer for over a year.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (08-01-2019),Pryme (08-03-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Salesman is blowing smoke. The prices posted at Leskovar are the real prices. They charge a $150 document fee (that is negotiable). I got such a good price on my 2019 Outlander Sport I didn’t quibble over $150 bucks.

https://www.leskovar.com/new-invento...rnetPrice+asc&

I did my entire transaction over the internet and arrived at the dealer, signed the documents and left. Spent about 20 minutes there, would have been 5 or so minutes faster but someone was ahead of me in line for the finance office. Would recommend this dealership to anyone that’s on the West Coast

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (08-01-2019),Top_Fuel (08-01-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    I was near a Mitsubishi dealership yesterday and decided to stop and check out the mirages they had in stock (only a purple one in manual, what I think I’d prefer.)
    Hello Slayer7.62 and welcome to the forum.

I'm getting the impression that your salesman must think that you are really interested in that car. If I recall correctly, 2015 was the last year for Plasma Purple. That car can't be that old, unsold - can it? If so, he should be desperate to get rid of it.

Stop talking to salesmen face to face. Call several dealers by phone for their best out the door price. And be sure to take that test drive. There's no point in buying a little car if you won't be satisfied with it. They're not exactly holding high value in resale.

Yes you can add the Rockford Fosgate amp kit yourself - I did.

By the way are you a fan of Slayer the band?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you all for the responses. I checked the Mitsubishi website and it was wine red metallic, where they had it parked made it look more purple than red to me in person, but was a 2019 model. I’ve seen a lot about White Bear posted on here, but unfortunately it’s an 18 hour drive from here. Short of taking a train (in itself a day and a half,) it’s not too likely for me to get out there.

The mirage seems like it’s a pretty frugal choice, and honestly is better equipped by far than my ‘04 Sentra was. However, I don’t think it’s worth it if I couldn’t find one under 12k (granted nothing short of hybrids seems to come very close on mileage as far as new cars.)

Though with that being said it would still probably be worthwhile in the long run as a secondary commuter car with that long warranty.

Ironically I’ve used this username for a very long time, before ever really listening to Slayer, I’m not too creative and just used it again on here lol. But the more I listen to them the more I’m liking.

By the way, what’s your verdict on the sound system in the long term? Worth it or better off spending on a regular aftermarket kit. I’m no audiophile, but hate tinny sounding speakers with no bass. I haven’t seen many people post about having it on here, though $500-600 is a lot for an option on a low cost car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I am in my mid-50's, & I only buy/own manual vehicles. I thought the manual in the Mirage was a little clunky at first, too. It's actually quite smooth in my opinion now. The clutch is super light. I go back & forth between my Mirage and 2011 Forester 2.5X manual. Now that I drive my Mirage more, the Subaru feels a little clunky to me. They have a different feel to them. In the end, they are both fine.

I don't live in the mountains, but I do drive SW Wisconsin ridge roads (driftless region). I have to downshift to climb hills, but that is no different than any vehicle I have ever owned. I like manuals for descending snow covered roads especially. I like to be in control. I think the manual Mirage is a hoot to drive! If someone gave me a CVT Mirage today, I would seriously trade it for a manual tomorrow. CVT adds $1,200 to the MSRP price. Not sure how that plays out in the end price-wise? I don't pay extra for things I don't like.

I wouldn't shop for a Mirage at @ dealership unless you like wasting time at them. I would contact Mitsubishi dealerships within a radius of what you are willing to travel. Skip the one you visited for now.

Don't cloud the issue with add on junk. I have the center armrest. It's tiny and worthless. An aftermarket one for 1/3 the cost would be better. If you want a manual, there's nothing wrong with today's ES model. Mitsubishi floor mats are nothing special. Save your money & buy nicer WeatherTech ones. Skip the garbage. Don't even go there.

If you find the right dealership, they have access to cars that are not on the radar of sites like cars.com & autotrader.com. It is possible, a base level Mirage may have some things added to it while sitting on other lots. You may need to cut the dealer searching for you some slack on that. If the car is closer to them, it's in their best interest to present that one to you.

I would be very blunt -

I like email better than a phone call. Everything is in writing.

1. Tell them exactly what you want. For example - 2019 Mirage ES MANUAL in your top 3 color choices, & you are not interested in paying for any extras.

2. Along with that ask them for their OTD price. They may need to ask you a few things to give you that accurately. That's them working for you now. OTD price should include everything! Nothing is left out. Tax, license, new plates, everything is included. You don't pay one penny more for anything. If they are interested in selling you a car, they aren't going to add garbage this way. If you are eligible for a rebate, they are going to include it. They know you are shopping around, & they don't have you in their front door yet. If they hesitate to give their OTD price, that is a huge red flag. You have every right to know what something is going to cost you. Don't accept this price plus this & this extra as an answer.

Once you find the best deal, go test drive the red Mirage. If you like it (color & all), ask them to match whatever price you now feel is fair. If they aren't interested in doing that, thank them for the test drive. Buy exactly what you want elsewhere. You're the customer. You call the shots!

Final note: I couldn't get the best deal paying cash for a new Mirage. I financed it to get another $500 rebate off the car. I didn't come up with that either. The general manager trying to sell me a car came up with that. I refinanced the car 3 months later @ my local credit union for $30. I did that on line, too. I didn't go to the dealership or my bank to buy my Mirage. My salesman was the guy who delivered my Mirage to my driveway from a dealership 4 hours away.

Last edited by Mark; 08-01-2019 at 04:42 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (08-01-2019)