Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Started driving my Mirage in 2nd gear from a stop

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Started driving my Mirage in 2nd gear from a stop

I accidentally made a left turn from a stop in second gear. From 0-25 km's an hour, all in second gear.

I guess I know now you can do that in your Mirage; and I barely noticed any lugging. My Mirage is bad for lug shakes the odd time, no matter how good your footwork is with the clutch and the gas pedal.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I do it all the time, all it does is cause a little bit more clutchwear. Just like in winter where first gear would cause you to have full torque and wheel spin... Instead put it in second and the car will slowly go up to speed without spinning the wheels.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The Mirage engine tuning is pretty amazing with what it can do at low RPM. The combination of VVT and electronic throttle goes a long way.
    Simplify and add lightness.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (11-21-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Also when you set your speed on the cruise, and hold the plus button it revs the motor up so you can make it up hills without pressing the gas.... Except what I found out today is you have to be in the right gear no matter what... Or you will do what I did: go up a hill in the highest gear and slowly start to lose speed... When a car is right on your butt LOL. Best thing to do is just keep doing the footwork and don't worry about Cruise... I don't use it much at all. Today was the most I've ever used it.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My own Mirage does not have cruise. Only would be nice on the freeway. I generally keep my car in the right gear for the speed, going up speed, gearing down "silently," or not. I am leaving my Mirage in 4th gear more nowadays, keeping 5th for when I'm on a true freeway like an interstate or the 400 series in Ontario.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (11-21-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Just like in winter where first gear would cause you to have full torque and wheel spin... Instead put it in second and the car will slowly go up to speed without spinning the wheels.
    Yeah that’s a technique taught years ago to avoid wheel spin in slippery conditions but traction control takes care of that nowadays.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah better to leave in 5th for freeway. I think when Eggman drove my Mirage the one day, he was able to go from a complete stop in 3rd! I have to recheck with him but I'm pretty sure he started in 3rd and was able to pull away... Very slowly haha.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Yeah that’s a technique taught years ago to avoid wheel spin in slippery conditions but traction control takes care of that nowadays.
    Haha, was just talking about you, when you drove my car the one day did you start it in 3rd?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I cycle up the gears pretty fast normally, that's the technique where you're gonna get your high MPG numbers. Keep the RPM's low the whole time. But you can stall real quick if you take this method too far too. And you end up just silent as a snake.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (11-21-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah I did that today as well... Anyone in Ohio who knows what peninsula township is? Well I was going through there today and pulled up to this light... And saw this young attractive girl in a Toyota Prius, was kind of in a haze just staring at her and all of a sudden came up to the light and l accidentally left my foot off the clutch in first gear... Bam!...stall... Haha she gave this weird look and I thought "well yeah, I uh-it was nice to chat but bye-bye"! Ha I'm a goofball sometimes