Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Bypass the AC compressor with a shorter serpentine belt?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Gates doesn't list it as fitting the Mirage. I am sure they don't know. Perhaps in North America they all had AC? I really don't know how aftermarket companies stay in business. I recently started compiling MOST of my correspondence with the manufactures such as Gates, Moog, Dorman, Wix, etc. where they have application issues and/or omissions. Sometimes they pass it along for corrections, sometimes they blow me off (and not in a good way)
    Unfortunately, you rarely get to talk to the applications/catalog department. You get stuck with tech line and that's a coin toss for competency depending on the company.
    I show the OE number to be 1340A128. I didn't have much luck interchanging it.
    Name:  mirage belt.PNG
Views: 683
Size:  13.8 KB

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Christopher_B For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (03-31-2021),Fummins (03-31-2021),inuvik (03-31-2021),MetroMPG (03-31-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Sorry I'm in Canada eh, and my 2014 ES Mirage does not have AC.

No cruise either, and roll-down windows in the back. The folks here keep on referring to my car as the "poverty edition" because I have no options. Actually I have optional thunder grey paint and that's the only option on my bare bones Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

BigMW (12-19-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well that shoots that theory to hell (about NA cars being AC only)
    are there any visible numbers on your belt by chance? Or have you ever replaced it with an aftermarket belt?

Performance edition!

EXACTLY Like a Porsche 911 RS with AC delete and leather straps for interior door handles.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

So tight. So much HP!

Name:  mirage-both-belts.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  100.7 KB

I've NEVER struggled to put on such a tight fitting belt in my life! Even with the alternator adjustment completely slacked off.

Unless I'm lacking in belt-installation skills (possible), I would go with the next size larger belt next time.

They must have left this one in a hot dryer a bit too long.

Oh, and with the belt off, the AC pulley freewheels on the best bearings in the world. Spin it by hand, go get a coffee and it'll still be spinning when you get back. So I figure this mod is good for 1.3 TBSP per year in fuel savings and +0.000092 HP.

Totally worth it!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-07-2021),Top_Fuel (04-07-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    So I figure this mod is good for 1.3 TBSP per year in fuel savings and +0.000092 HP.

Totally worth it!
    Got another good loud chuckle on that! 1.3 TBSP! Now that's worth fighting for!

0.000092 HP converts to ~ 1/2 hp though, you need to consider that!

HP = Horsepower
    hp = hampsterpower (as calibrated on Mexican dyno's).

7milesout

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-07-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

I've NEVER struggled to put on such a tight fitting belt in my life! Even with the alternator adjustment completely slacked off.

Unless I'm lacking in belt-installation skills (possible), I would go with the next size larger belt next time.

They must have left this one in a hot dryer a bit too long.

Oh, and with the belt off, the AC pulley freewheels on the best bearings in the world. Spin it by hand, go get a coffee and it'll still be spinning when you get back. So I figure this mod is good for 1.3 TBSP per year in fuel savings and +0.000092 HP.

Totally worth it!
    I seldom use A/C, but these cars do fog up easily when it rains sometimes. A minute or two of A/C & things are cleared up. I do like that.

I've always heard it's good (for the seals) to run your A/C every couple weeks whether you use it or not. I could easily live with a more basic Mirage without A/C, power windows, remote entry, etc... Our ES has always has these features.

Since I paid for all those items on a Mirage, I don't feel bad using them.

Yeah, but I'm gonna win when we drag race!

I can finally sleep at night now.

---

( EDIT: If I knew I was going to keep this car, I'd yank out the whole AC system. I did that with my crapcan Miata. )

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Yeah, but I'm gonna win when we drag race!

I can finally sleep at night now.

---

( EDIT: If I knew I was going to keep this car, I'd yank out the whole AC system. I did that with my crapcan Miata. )
    Nah! I have 4 more hp than you!

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Name:  mirage-both-belts.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  100.7 KB

Your belt is a 6PK895 (6 ribs 895mm length) but the correct belt is 6PK906 with 906mm length.
    The same belt is OEM for Mirage without A/C.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

daleWV (04-07-2021),MetroMPG (04-07-2021),mohammad (01-15-2022)