Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fog lights installation (how to enable without ETACS/computer connection)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Fog lights installation (how to enable without ETACS/computer connection)

Hello All,

Installed my fog lights in my 2019 ES last weekend. Set up appointment to have the dealership use ETACS to enable the lights.
    The charge? $103.00 Geez!
    Now, I ordered my fog lights through mitsubishipartsnow.com and the installation instructions that came with the lights had a procedure to enable the lights once they were installed. But, because of reading all the posts here about the fog lights needing to be enabled by the dealer, I dismissed the instructions and did not try to enable them myself.
    So today, I got to thinking about the instruction sheet again(thankfully I kept it) and re-read the procedure.
    Curiosity got the better of me, so I went out to the car, ran the enable procedure, and, lo and behold, I have working foglights.
    SWEET!
    I am assuming the are on full strength. They look like it. Hard to tell in the daylight. So, I will check them out again after dark.
    I dont know if this works for any other model years or not. I would assume it would work, at the
    very least, for model years 2017-2019. But, I dont know?
    If I can remember how I posted pictures once before, then I will post the page that describes the enable procedure.

Name:  20191109_162647.jpg
Views: 4590
Size:  90.7 KB

Name:  20191109_162654.jpg
Views: 5159
Size:  93.4 KB

Name:  20191109_162702.jpg
Views: 4485
Size:  93.9 KB

Name:  20191109_162848.jpg
Views: 4183
Size:  90.8 KB

Last edited by Eggman; 11-09-2019 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Arranged attachments and cleaned up incomplete BB Code.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bristol For This Useful Post:

craigq (11-10-2019),daleWV (07-18-2020),inuvik (07-17-2020),MetroMPG (12-21-2020),poorman1 (11-11-2019),strawboss (11-13-2019),Top_Fuel (07-20-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am not very good at posting pics. I hope to do better next time.
    But if you can sort through these, there are 5 steps.
    Save yourself paying the dealership.
    Hope it works for you.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol View Post
    I am not very good at posting pics. I hope to do better next time.
    But if you can sort through these, there are 5 steps.
    Save yourself paying the dealership.
    Hope it works for you.
    I arranged your pictures. I think everything is in order now.

That's a great find Bristol! Thanks for sharing.

How about some pictures of your new fog lights?
    Last edited by Eggman; 11-09-2019 at 10:16 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Damn! I never knew this was possible. I actually wired my driving/fog lamps to the parking lights because I heard when activated with the switch they only come on with the headlights also on. I like my driving lamps on with the parking lights and headlights.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

Nod (01-31-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks Eggman!
    Johny Mullett, it is true that with stock Mitsu setup, that the fog lights only come when the low beams are on.
    Now, if I could just find some level pavement and a wall to aim these things

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    ...Set up appointment to have the dealership use ETACS to enable the lights.
    ...The charge? $103.00
    LOL. Sounds like my dealer.

If the scan tool gets connected to the car, you're getting charged $100...even if the operation involved only takes 90 seconds.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Opening and closing the driver's door 5 times cracked me up!
    They should have, for full comic effect, had you get out of the car and run around it every time you opened the door, changing the direction you ran each time you exited the vehicle, lol!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I will try and post a picture of the lights tomorrow.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Hello All,

Installed my fog lights in my 2019 ES last weekend. Set up appointment to have the dealership use ETACS to enable the lights.
    The charge? $103.00 Geez!
    Now, I ordered my fog lights through mitsubishipartsnow.com and the installation instructions that came with the lights had a procedure to enable the lights once they were installed. But, because of reading all the posts here about the fog lights needing to be enabled by the dealer, I dismissed the instructions and did not try to enable them myself.
    So today, I got to thinking about the instruction sheet again(thankfully I kept it) and re-read the procedure.
    Curiosity got the better of me, so I went out to the car, ran the enable procedure, and, lo and behold, I have working foglights.
    SWEET!
    I am assuming the are on full strength. They look like it. Hard to tell in the daylight. So, I will check them out again after dark.
    I dont know if this works for any other model years or not. I would assume it would work, at the
    very least, for model years 2017-2019. But, I dont know?
    If I can remember how I posted pictures once before, then I will post the page that describes the enable procedure.

Watching someone else do it is easier than reading some instruction sheet. It would make me feel more comfortable about the procedure at least. You may want to check this out below -

Adding Factory Cruise And Fog lights To My Mitsubishi Mirage. ETACS Programming 101

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcMpT6JalTQ

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's what I was originally thinking also.
    But, I thought I would give it a shot. The Mirage must have a software program or be hardwired to respond to the ignition key, seatbelts buckle, door switch etc. It took, literally 60 seconds per the instructions.
    I will say, the 3rd sentence at the top of the page was curious and a bit sobering!

Last edited by Bristol; 11-10-2019 at 02:15 AM.