Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Anyone try a K&N drop in air filter yet?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreePot View Post
    Sounds like there's something else going on there.
    Mine responds well enough. It's not as snappy as a mechanically operated throttle, but it's not bad.
    Maybe you could do a video of the bogging?
    It would be hard to capture with a video. I think what Cani is saying is since the throttle response is lazier than a direct cable operated throttle, that you have to wait a fraction of a second longer for the engine to rev up before dropping the clutch. Thats what I have noticed in mine anyway. It isnt a problem, its just the design of the vehicle as an economy car vs a sports car.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I bet you're right.

If someone out there is tuning these cars, they could probably play with the throttle progressivity table and sharpen it up a bit..

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Exactly. You're only going to notice it with a manual transmission, but the K&N did improve throttle response time, likely from the air being able to flow through the filter faster once the throttle is opened, reducing the pressure drop that would occur from a more restrictive filter.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cani Lupine View Post
    My K&N filter arrived this morning, and I got the chance to try it out running a couple errands. It doesn't feel like it adds any noticeable power, which was expected, but it DID increase throttle response. Before, I'd have to hold the gas down for a moment before letting the clutch out otherwise the engine would bog down a bit, but with the K&N filter in, that's pretty much gone.
    I hate my bogged down engine as well, will order K&N immediately!! Indeed I had this problem from the beginning, i even went back to the dealer in the very beginning because my engine would stall all the time

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Another trick to improve throttle response, although highly debated, is to ground the throttle body by connecting a wire from the throttle body to the chassis. It's supposed to help clean up the signal by removing electronic noise. I'm not sure if that actually has a measurable effect, but many people swear by it, and it does come standard on some performance models of cars (such as the Mazdaspeed 3).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cani Lupine View Post
    Another trick to improve throttle response, although highly debated, is to ground the throttle body by connecting a wire from the throttle body to the chassis. It's supposed to help clean up the signal by removing electronic noise. I'm not sure if that actually has a measurable effect, but many people swear by it, and it does come standard on some performance models of cars (such as the Mazdaspeed 3).
    You would best do that mod (any mod) to someones car and not tell them, then just see if they mention that it's running better.
    Otherwise, your mind may play tricks.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreePot View Post
    You would best do that mod (any mod) to someones car and not tell them, then just see if they mention that it's running better.
    Otherwise, your mind may play tricks.
    Agrees .... can you show me (picture) where to connect? What do you mean by throttle body?

Thanks!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Have you gotten your K&N yet m4v3r1ck?
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    Amen brother... so many people have wasted so many dollars on K&N filters. They are good for race cars... pretty much it.
    They actually saving you money.. if you keep car long enough.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    (I'm bumping this thread up a few years)

My local O'Reilly's auto parts place carries (not in stock, but can get in 1-2 days) two exact fit engine air filters for the 2015 Mirage DE:

-- WIX WA10125, for $26.99; and

-- K&N 30-3016, for $47.99.

For the K&N, on it's detailed description webpage, it does say that it is reusable, but it says nothing about how it is to be washed. It also says that the filter is "pre-oiled" and says how much oil is needed to re-oil it after washing, but it doesn't say what kind of oil to use.

I just popped in a WIX and don't know if it will affect performance noticeably compared to the used filter I'm replacing (a ???? 16085 ). I might consider using the K&N, if I knew more about the cleaning, drying, and re-oiling process. I wouldn't mind considering a less expensive filter than the WIX, for that matter.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.7 mpg (Imp)