Page 41 of 49 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas mileage / MPG achievements (with optional MPG computer pics)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skyblue View Post
    Why coast in neutral?
    Maybe it's different because I have a manual? I'm still learning this car and fuel efficient driving in general. I know when I coast in neutral the engine runs at a lower RPM than it does when in 5th gear. It also coasts further.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 48.5 mpg (US) ... 20.6 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 58.3 mpg (Imp)

Eggman's right: Coast in neutral if your goal is to decelerate (while using no fuel, until combustion resumes when engine RPM drops below a certain threshold).

Coast in neutral if you want to maximize coasting distance while consuming very little fuel.

Each technique is useful in different situations.

Impressive numbers, Casey!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Casey (06-26-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Hmmm, this reminds me of a previous thread:

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...-to-utilize-it

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post

Indeed, every gauge I've ever had can't work out engine braking.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post

Wow, that's some serious gadgeting. A little above my level. Am I hurting my car by coasting in neutral or coasting in gear? I like coasting in neutral because of no engine braking and how much further I coast. All my roads are really straight and I can see red lights a long ways off. So, I prefer to coast as far as I can without slowing and likely the light will turn green before I get there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 48.5 mpg (US) ... 20.6 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 58.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Wow, that's some serious gadgeting. A little above my level. Am I hurting my car by coasting in neutral or coasting in gear? I like coasting in neutral because of no engine braking and how much further I coast. All my roads are really straight and I can see red lights a long ways off. So, I prefer to coast as far as I can without slowing and likely the light will turn green before I get there.
    No it won't do anything really, it just means your combusting all the way to your stop versus no combusting until you hit idle RPM.

I notice the CVT does odd things when you crest a hill and take your foot of the gas, I can't quite work out what it's doing though, it seems to be almost downshifting ratios to apply engine braking, all I know is that the rpm suddenly goes up, might be something weird with my car only though.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to skyblue For This Useful Post:

Casey (06-28-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skyblue View Post
    No it won't do anything really, it just means your combusting all the way to your stop versus no combusting until you hit idle RPM.

I notice the CVT does odd things when you crest a hill and take your foot of the gas, I can't quite work out what it's doing though, it seems to be almost downshifting ratios to apply engine braking, all I know is that the rpm suddenly goes up, might be something weird with my car only though.
    Thanks! Now I understand and should adjust my driving technique. Let the engine slow it down if I'm actually stopping or neutral coast if I'm just going downhill or something.

78.5 MPG tank

Potentially the last fill-up for Mirage #2 (assuming I end up selling it and keeping Mirage #3, and not vice-versa)...

78.5 MPG US or 3.0 L/100 km over 757 km.

This was just a test to see if I could break 75 MPG using a lot of "pulse & glide". Also, the alternator was disconnected for probably 90% of the tank.

Is 80+ MPG possible? Sure. How much effort do you want to put in, and how slow an average speed are you willing to accept?

I think the ScanGauge said my average speed was around 30 mph for the tank. Though that includes the average being reduced by time spent stopped at stop signs, lights, when parking, etc. The average driving speed would have been around 40-ish, if I had to guess.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-07-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Potentially the last fill-up for Mirage #2 (assuming I end up selling it and keeping Mirage #3, and not vice-versa)...

78.5 MPG US or 3.0 L/100 km over 757 km.

This was just a test to see if I could break 75 MPG using a lot of "pulse & glide". Also, the alternator was disconnected for probably 90% of the tank.

Is 80+ MPG possible? Sure. How much effort do you want to put in, and how slow an average speed are you willing to accept?

I think the ScanGauge said my average speed was around 30 mph for the tank. Though that includes the average being reduced by time spent stopped at stop signs, lights etc. The average driving speed would have been around 40-ish, if I had to guess.
    Wow, great numbers. Did you use an engine kill switch?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Silly numbers. Impractical numbers.

And, yes, kill switch.