Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternator delete with regen braking modification for better MPG

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    the meter I presented is capable of measuring Charge and discharge current as indicated in its specs.

My interest though is in the regenerative braking charging process. I'm still awaiting for the arrival of my DC-DC converter with adjustable output from AliExpress so I can join Daox' quest.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitz For This Useful Post:

Daox (09-05-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Today's commute in was quite idea. Lots of EOC. I did use the fan on low (3.5A draw) for about 2/3rds of the trip for some heat. I got to work with about 4Ah used. So my really rough guess is I regenerated about .5 Ah of that. This is really rough guestimation though.

The trip home has more opportunities to use regen because of the placement of stop lights and signs at bottoms of hills. I sure hope I can get more than .5 Ah out of regen hahaha. But, I will do my best to verify it.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Are you still seeing a consistent improvement in MPG?
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yep, my trips are almost all above 60 mpg. My last tank was the best yet, and I did the mod partway through it.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

LetItMarinate (09-06-2019),Loren (09-06-2019)

Thoraxe the Impaler LetItMarinate's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Yep, my trips are almost all above 60 mpg. My last tank was the best yet, and I did the mod partway through it.

When is this puppy coming to market!?
    Shake and bake baby

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've never touched or seen an Arduino. But, from what I understand, they're quite powerful and easy to work with.

And...

They make a very inexpensive OBD2 interface kit. Like sub $50.

That seems like the hot ticket here. Interface with the OBD. Trigger your Alternator Enable circuit anytime the engine is in DCFO, or battery voltage is below... maybe 11.5 volts?

Set it and forget it. Reap big MPG rewards.
    Simplify and add lightness.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Daox (09-06-2019)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Looking at your (@Doax) fuel log, you were averaging at 20km/L, and now you have about 26km/L. That cannot possibly be caused completely by your mod.

You were averaging 20km/L, which is 0.05L/km, which is about 0.125kWh/km (10kWh in a litre of petrol, engine efficiency about 25%). On 25km/L the car uses 0.1kWh/km. the difference is 0.025kWh/km, which is 2Ah/km at 12V.
    You wrote your daily commute is about 30min, let's say 40km. In that case you should have saved 80Ah on that trip, which is 160A during that 30min. And then I'm assuming a 100% efficiency for the alternator and battery.

You also write in the log that you have mounted LRR tires. When you didn't have LRR tires before, I think they are responsible for the majority of this result.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would say the LRR tires are good for 2-3 mpg gain, the alternator delete is good for about the same. The rest of it comes from driving techniques. As mentioned above, I have been doing a lot more pulse and glide than on previous tanks.

For reference, my commute is 14 miles / 22.5 km. The fastest speed on it is 50 mph / 80 kph. This should give you guys some better reference of how I am achieving the fuel economy that I am.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LetItMarinate View Post
    When is this puppy coming to market!?
    I really wasn't planning on creating a product out of this, but I can if there is enough interest.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    I've never touched or seen an Arduino. But, from what I understand, they're quite powerful and easy to work with.

And...

They make a very inexpensive OBD2 interface kit. Like sub $50.

That seems like the hot ticket here. Interface with the OBD. Trigger your Alternator Enable circuit anytime the engine is in DCFO, or battery voltage is below... maybe 11.5 volts?

Set it and forget it. Reap big MPG rewards.
    This may be the eventually way I go. That opens up a lot of possibilities for other fun mods...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Loren (09-06-2019)