Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Over-revved the Engine - Poof! (Update: 2017 engine swapped into 2015 car)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'll post photos of the clutch if there's anything unusual with it.

I've taken a total of 214 autocross runs in the car, but I don't launch abusively. Just sort of like a quick street launch. But, my clutch is noisy. Not sure if it's "normal" noise, or if there's something up with it. I've actually been thinking that it may have a broken spring, or just something loose and rattly. It's not "terrible", but it makes more noise than I think it should. And I can get it to make a hideous noise if I get too aggressive in reverse, like when I back into my driveway.

Plan is to get the flywheel lightened, and replace the clutch. There's a local clutch company that does custom stuff, I may take the disk there for an upgrade, especially if it is damaged. The pressure plate, I'll likely leave alone unless it's too worn.

I've found an engine locally. Trying to work a deal that will get me the 2017 engine plus brakes, and maybe a height-adjustable seat if they have one. Might as well upgrade some stuff while I'm at it!

Got a bunch of friends coming Saturday to help pull the engine, and a few people (including the guy who mis-shifted it... and, yeah, me) who are eager to do a post-mortem on the engine. I expect we'll have the engine out by noon, and if I know Mike (he's one of those guys who is just very speedy with a wrench), the engine will be field-stripped in about 20 minutes!

Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post

I've taken a total of 214 autocross runs in the car, but I don't launch abusively. Just sort of like a quick street launch. But, my clutch is noisy. Not sure if it's "normal" noise, or if there's something up with it. I've actually been thinking that it may have a broken spring, or just something loose and rattly. It's not "terrible", but it makes more noise than I think it should. And I can get it to make a hideous noise if I get too aggressive in reverse, like when I back into my driveway.
    Another forum member here reported a clutch damper spring failure. I think it caused problems with shifting.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

My clutch has been noisy as hell since I bought it brand new. They said the "jangly" sound was nothing, and couldn't get it to replicate the "gut shot Wookie" sound it makes under high load/strain/rpm takeoffs. 116k miles later and I'm still waiting on it to give out and/or start slipping or something worse...
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

Loren (10-24-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Another forum member here reported a clutch damper spring failure. I think it caused problems with shifting.
    Found the post:

Quote Originally Posted by VintageBandit View Post
    Hi guys, so it looks like the p̶r̶e̶s̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶t̶e̶ friction disk has a broken spring and housing.

I don't know what caused it, but the Mitsubishi dealer I bought the car from refused to warranty the part because they didn't take the car apart. Seems like a chicken**** thing to do. I ordered a new friction disk and am installing it today. I will update with results. Attachment 11481

Idk if this attachment will work, mobile isn't very good on this forum.
    For more details, follow the link and browse the rest of the thread. I'm just curious to see if this happens to others.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Loren (10-24-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Found a nice 20k 2017 locally that was hard hit in the driver's door. Pristine engine bay and all four corners.

$595 for the engine, complete with all but the coil packs.

Total cost $915 for the engine, plus front hubs and brakes, rear brakes, and delivery.

Not bad at all.

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sounds like an awesome deal!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Got in touch with my fabricator buddy who owns a big lathe. (really big... and really heavy... dates back to the 40's, I think) He's eager to help with my flywheel. If we get the engine out Saturday, as planned, I should be able to get over there Sunday and play on the lathe.

This project is slowly lining up. My hand was forced by a missed shift, but good things are going to come of it!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Daox (10-26-2018),Fummins (10-26-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Found a nice 20k 2017 locally that was hard hit in the driver's door. Pristine engine bay and all four corners.

$595 for the engine, complete with all but the coil packs.

Total cost $915 for the engine, plus front hubs and brakes, rear brakes, and delivery.

Not bad at all.
    I need the shocks/struts/and springs of of it
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I really wonder how much weight can come off of that flywheel. I know the engine revs SO slow. Is that due to counterweights to reduce NVH or is it something else like flywheel weight?
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'll be able to provide some insight on the flywheel when I get my hands on it. I expect it will be fairly heavy... based on the photos and estimated size, I'd put it about the same "build" as a 1.6 Miata flywheel, only slightly smaller. So, maybe 16 pounds?

If I can get about 3 pounds off of it, I'll be happy. If I was going with a properly engineered aftermarket flywheel, I'd go as low as 7-8 pounds. But, for shaving a stock part, I'm not going to get too crazy.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Daox (10-26-2018)