Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine Block Heater Installation (OEM cartridge style 400w)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Correct, polarity does not matter on a block heater.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (11-27-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Given the recent colder temperatures, I did some shopping for Kat's 11812 engine block heaters. Prices sort of vary quite a bit.

https://www.amazon.com/Kats-11812-En.../dp/B004A6EXV2
    Amazon was $59.99 + $9.45 shipping

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/KAT11812
    NAPPA was $36.49 (free pick up at store I believe)

https://www.autozone.com/external-en.../4216_121545_0
    AutoZone was $31.49 (free shipping if you added something else and made it $35)

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...812/11124809-P
    AdvanceAuto was $30.99 (another 15% on line discount available & free shipping)

I ordered one from Advance Auto @ a total cost of $27.79 shipped to my home.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (01-23-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Given the recent colder temperatures, I did some shopping for Kat's 11812 engine block heaters.
    Thanks for that update. I put a link to your post #32 in my original post so people can quickly reference your 2019 price links.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Thanks for that update. I put a link to your post #32 in my original post so people can quickly reference your 2019 price links.
    I appreciate your original post and write up of everything. The silicone grease (Super Lube 98003 Silicone Heat type), a 3 prong electrical cap, & a pair of electrical outlet timers almost added up to the cost of the engine block heater itself. All those added items can be used for other applications, too. Overall, not a big cost project.

It's really nice to refer to threads like these! I never added an engine block heater to any of my vehicles before, but I don't mind giving my Mirage a little extra TLC.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The silicone grease (Super Lube 98003 Silicone Heat type), a 3 prong electrical cap, & a pair of electrical outlet timers almost added up to the cost of the engine block heater itself.
    I'm not sure if it's been mentioned before but the block heater that mitsubishi sells comes with the 3 prong cap, lube,and a ton of zip ties. They're obviously gonna cost a bit more(have no idea how much) from the dealer it's has everything you need.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I'm not sure if it's been mentioned before but the block heater that mitsubishi sells comes with the 3 prong cap, lube,and a ton of zip ties. They're obviously gonna cost a bit more(have no idea how much) from the dealer it's has everything you need.
    TopFuel's first post explains everything in great detail, including everything that comes with a Mitsubishi block heater. The ZeroStart block heater comes with 3 prong cap, too. The ZeroStart was $40.54 with free shipping from Amazon.

The price of the Kat's 11812 varied. Etrailer.com wanted approximately $65 to ship one to your home, and they led you to believe that they were giving you a $47 discount on the item and a best price pledge. I bought the exact same item from Advance Auto & paid $27.79 shipped to my home for free. If the item is faulty, I have an Advance Auto store in town to return it, too. The same can be said for AutoZone, which was also half the price of etrailer.com & amazon for the exact same item.

I didn't bother to price a mitsubishi heater, & the nearest Mitsubishi dealership is 65 miles away. I really didn't spend that much for the silicone grease & 3 prong cap. The electrical outlet timers were the main added cost, & I had thought about getting a couple of them anyways. I didn't really need them to do all this.

$30 item & easy to install, I figured why not?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-23-2019),Top_Fuel (01-23-2019)

I find reading hard sometimes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

craigq (01-24-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I installed my Kat's engine block heater today using the Super Lube 98003 silicone grease. I can't really add anything that hasn't already been said about the installation. Took a little time to do, but doing a second one would take 5 minutes like you said. It was -23 degrees F early this morning. I left home around 10 a.m., & it was still about -15 degrees F. Thus, I was given a little inspiration to do this when I got home later in the day. Just a friendly fyi - This is one of those jobs you should do when it's 70 degrees F, & you have no need for the darn thing!

The forecast for this coming Tuesday is -2 to -24 degrees F, & Wednesday is -12 to -23 degrees F. Thus, I will be able to test thing out for sure in the coming week!

Top_Fuel - Thanks again for your complete write up. Overall, it's a very simple item to add to your Mirage. Like I mentioned before, I only paid $27.79 for a Kat's 11812 heater. That price included tax & shipped to my home. A relatively cheap/easy project to do!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Zerostart 360-0012 3-prong plug cover in place on my plug.
    I ordered/received this cheap 3-prong plug cap. A full page ad for a block heater controller came with the packing slip.

http://thepowerbadger.com/

The device senses the outside temperature and turns on your engine block heater accordingly. This item is about $100 plus $15 shipping. Thus, it's not cheap. If you tend to plug in your engine heater longer than necessary, it may save you some money over time. I thought sharing this item would be very appropriate for this thread.

I am somewhat cheap. I am going with the two simple manual electrical outlet timers for $12 for now. I just tested one on a lamp in my living room. It will do the job for now.

If anyone else has used this Power Badger Engine Heater Control, I would love to hear your thoughts on it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,821 Times in 2,127 Posts
    I have no timer and thus avoid the expense, added complication and energy drain. I simply plug my engine block heater in the morning about 90 minutes before going in to work and of course, unplug before taking off. This typically raises the coolant temperature about 40℉ - 50℉ above ambient conditions. Any further time spent using the heater doesn't produce much more heat and in my experience, is a waste of money and energy resources.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)