Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Developing a cruise control kit - now for sale!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Using info from stevedmc we can see how the Mirage ETACS cruise control compares to other kits such as Rostra. What RPMs does your Rostra cruise keep the engine at various speeds? 45, 55, 65 mph?
    30 mph seems to be the lowest I can set the cruise control. It doesn't matter what gear I'm in. I forgot to mention that it's wiring harness also plugs into the odb2 port. It gets its speed from there and I guess the brake information as well.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

LetItMarinate (06-04-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Using info from stevedmc we can see how the Mirage ETACS cruise control compares to other kits such as Rostra. What RPMs does your Rostra cruise keep the engine at various speeds? 45, 55, 65 mph?
    stevedmc has a manual transmission, so RPM will be the same (assuming stock tire size) as in:

Thread: Gear ratios: 2014 Mirage transmissions, 5-spd manual & CVT (speed vs. RPM chart)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    30 mph seems to be the lowest I can set the cruise control. It doesn't matter what gear I'm in. I forgot to mention that it's wiring harness also plugs into the odb2 port. It gets its speed from there and I guess the brake information as well.
    Correction. I think I've driven as low as 25 mph with cruise control. Doesn't really matter though unless you are just nitpicking.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    stevedmc has a manual transmission, so RPM will be the same (assuming stock tire size) as in:

Thread: Gear ratios: 2014 Mirage transmissions, 5-spd manual & CVT (speed vs. RPM chart)
    I ditched the stock tire size a long time ago. The stock tire size has very limited options and is expensive.

Around 40k miles I switched to 175/65-14 and have never looked back. The speedometer/odometer difference is barely noticable. I think it is around 1 percent.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Incidentally, I verified my Rostra cruise control speed isn't based on RPM with a very simply test.

In fifth gear I set my speed with the cruise control to 55 mph. I drove for a moment and then tapped my brakes to disable the cruise control. I then put the vehicle into fourth gear and hit the resume button the the cruise control. It cruised at 55 mph.

Thats a good enough test for me and it verifies that it is using a speed signal from the OBDII port and not RPM information.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    stevedmc has a manual transmission
    Of course - I should know that. I was too eager I guess.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm the kind of person who, when I find a problem too challenging, I walk away from it...at least for a little while. Today, I revistied the problem with getting the ETACS decoder program working on my system. I found I had TOO MANY of the X-Horse drivers installed...apparently Windows doesn't prevent you from installing multiple instances of one driver, but when you do, none of them work. I deleted all of them. I also deleted the manufacturer specific drivers for my MVCI cable.

I downloaded the latest version of the ETACS decoder program and THEIR driver for the MVCI cable and the X-Horse drivers.
    I tried to install the X-Horse drivers, but they woudn't install. I DID install the MVCI cable driver with no problems.

I decided to go ahead and try running ETACS decoder and see what happens. It found the cable and I was able to set the COM port and CAN settings, no problem. But, the program was not able to connect to the server to log me in - my firewall was blocking it. I set the firewall to allow ETACS to communicate with the server and I still had 5 writes allowed.

I hauled my computer out to my car, plugged the cable into the OBD port, turned on the ignition, and clicked the 'ON' button on the ETACS display. IT CONNECTED!!!! I then clicked on the 'Engine' tab and all the ETACS items were there; I scrolled down to the Cruise Control setting, changed it to 'Present', clicked on 'Write to ECU' and followed the pop-up instructions. IT WORKED!!!

I disconnected my computer from my car, and took the car for a test drive...I HAVE CRUISE CONTROL!!! (But no horn).

So, I'm happy. A little more tweaking to get the horn working and button everything back up; future plans to enable the fog lights, and disable the engine immobilizer; and maybe I'll just see what kind of trouble I can get into.

Thank you DOAX, and others, for making this possible.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stecoop For This Useful Post:

Daox (06-06-2018),Eggman (06-05-2018),inuvik (06-05-2018),MetroMPG (06-05-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stecoop View Post
    So, I'm happy. A little more tweaking to get the horn working and button everything back up; future plans to enable the fog lights, and disable the engine immobilizer; and maybe I'll just see what kind of trouble I can get into.

Thank you DOAX, and others, for making this possible.
    Congratulations on your success. Looking forward to seeing what else you are able to change. I would be interested in seeing if anyone can change the three-blinker-blinks with a bump of the turn signal stalk from three to say, five.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Glad to hear you figured it out!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Woohoo, very glad to hear you got it figured out.

They must have changed the wiring on the 2017+ models. The only other wires on my connector are for audio controls. The horn is on a different connector.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)