Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: The Small Car Stereotype: You're poor, have bad credit, or in a bad place

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tytotheler92 View Post
    I bought mine because of a couple reasons.

A: New cars suck. If you're an enthusiast and want reliable A to B transportation so you can invest your time and money into cooler, older vehicles that you don't want to see daily use or salt/snow.

B: Dealers suck. These cars never go back to the dealers. My 2016 Tacoma and 2013 Regal both loved to visit dealers.

C: Modability: The ECU/BCM is open, the suspension has tons of room for improvements, the parts interchangeability is great. I could see keeping this stupid car on the road for 20 years, easy.

D: Fuel Economy: It's nuts.

And that's why I bought one. And Love it. And my sister. And my friend. And another friend. And another.

I think they're great, and the last of their kind. Honest to goodness cheap transportation that is reliable, easy to fix, and cheap to maintain.

Oh and my credit is great. I own a house and 3 other cars. Those people can go be dumb somewhere else.
    Agree with all you said. Aftermarket parts are a b&tch to find depending on what you need though.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have good credit, could've bought pretty much what I wanted used (I've only bought one new car in my life). But I'm past the age of worrying about what others think. I have a mortgage, just paid for my daughters wedding 3 months ago and need to save for retirement. Most of my drive is commuting to and from work by myself. I've seen too much road rage out there that my speeding days are over. Now I see how high I can get the MPG ( which this car does in spades)

I researched the crap out of these cars, and I've owned a 91 colt, which was a good experience until a deer merged with the front end. Even then, insurance fixed it and it ran on until I sold it.

The current mirage is state of the art car technology...from 2007. But its all proven tech, and that's its charm...reliability. Is there a bigger pain in the butt than car trouble? I avoid it however I can. I also enjoy driving and don't need to go down the road like I'm in a recliner/sofa. This G4 has done all I've asked so far, and can't wait to see her prove herself this winter as well.

Side note: from my 2007 Honda fit, my insurance only went up 12 dollars a month for a 10 year newer car.

I remain pleased with my purchase.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    I have good credit, could've bought pretty much what I wanted used (I've only bought one new car in my life). But I'm past the age of worrying about what others think. I have a mortgage, just paid for my daughters wedding 3 months ago and need to save for retirement. Most of my drive is commuting to and from work by myself. I've seen too much road rage out there that my speeding days are over. Now I see how high I can get the MPG ( which this car does in spades)

I researched the crap out of these cars, and I've owned a 91 colt, which was a good experience until a deer merged with the front end. Even then, insurance fixed it and it ran on until I sold it.

The current mirage is state of the art car technology...from 2007. But its all proven tech, and that's its charm...reliability. Is there a bigger pain in the butt than car trouble? I avoid it however I can. I also enjoy driving and don't need to go down the road like I'm in a recliner/sofa. This G4 has done all I've asked so far, and can't wait to see her prove herself this winter as well.

Side note: from my 2007 Honda fit, my insurance only went up 12 dollars a month for a 10 year newer car.

I remain pleased with my purchase.
    I enjoy driving my fiance's G4 more than my hatch to be honest, its more comfortable.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've got decent credit and go through cars more than some people change their underwear... but I like practical vehicles. That's why I have a truck, a Mirage hatchback, the Outlander Sport, etc. I really don't like sedans...

My guilty pleasure though is my LeBaron convertible. Totally useless in a practical fashion but I love having the top down and tearing the piss outta that thing.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    I've got decent credit and go through cars more than some people change their underwear... but I like practical vehicles. That's why I have a truck, a Mirage hatchback, the Outlander Sport, etc. I really don't like sedans...

My guilty pleasure though is my LeBaron convertible. Totally useless in a practical fashion but I love having the top down and tearing the piss outta that thing.
    We had a 1988-90? lebaron when I was young. It was a pile unfortunately.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    This forum represents the creme de la creme of Mirage owners, a small percentage of who actually owns these cars IMO. I would venture the majority of Mirage owners have credit issues, live paycheck to paycheck, working class, newly divorced, etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I would venture the majority of people have credit issues, live paycheck to paycheck...
    Fixed that for you.

Americans and Canadians, anyway. Many could learn from our German friends here.

I know people making combined $150-$300k (household) a year, and they're STILL living pay to pay. They owe their banks for MUCH nicer toys than I have, though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (11-20-2019)

I've got good surprisingly good credit. But have a large mortgage for being almost 40, I got into home ownership late in the game. The money I save from driving the reasonably priced car alone should help pay the mortgage off a few years early.
    That is unless........The cvt craters and I can't find a used one cause it's a weird early 14' model lol
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

It's all in the wallet

Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    The Ace of Base:2019 Mitsubishi Mirage story on TheTruthAboutCars.com inspired me to write this piece: Cheap, small cars so often have this stigma behind them. You must be poor, have bad credit, or be in some "bad place" to want to buy one, such as the Mirage. I disagree, and wrote a blog post about it if you'd like to check it out.

http://www.subcompactculture.com/201...ad-credit.html

Anyway, I've long disliked the idea that you must have to buy a car like a Mirage. You couldn't possibly have wanted it.
    I'm the middle. I do know what it's like to zoom around in a small car. Try hill climbing in your Mirage. That was me 50 years ago in my Fiat 600. I owned about 10, from my first car, to some time in my 20's when they just got to hard to find. The hill climb Fiat died in Germany in 1972, when I tried to cross a ravine, with out a bridge
    You can see a pic of it here: http://krashsplace.com/end_of_the_road.html

I do agree that most folks who buy cars like the Mirage are looking to save money.
    I got my 2014 for exactly that reason. I was used to the comfort and cargo space of minivans, but realized that in retirement, I would no longer have clients paying the travel expenses, so I picked the Mirage for price and mileage. And I got it at 15,000 miles, to cut out that "new car" price gouge.
    The first thing I did was gut it, and add as much sound proofing as it would handle, to cut down on the tin can effect.
    Now at 140,000 miles, I'm slowly maintaining the car, and eyeballing what will replace it in the next few years.
    If I had no money worries, I'd buy a good used Kia Soul My days of indestructible fun in cars are long past

11. The Following User Says Thank You to krash For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-20-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I've got good surprisingly good credit. But have a large mortgage for being almost 40, I got into home ownership late in the game. The money I save from driving the reasonably priced car alone should help pay the mortgage off a few years early.
    That is unless........The cvt craters and I can't find a used one cause it's a weird early 14' model lol
    Welcome to planet Anxietum. I for one, welcome our new CVT darklord. Hail CVTsevenius!