Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: 2014, Is it the Water Pump Casing? (Broken bolt installing new thermostat)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    So, I poured in the old coolant and I am taking it to get it completely flushed. I took a funnel and put one of those paper towel rags in the funnel (so basically a thick paper towel). It took like 30 minutes to fill, but at least I filtered out anything bad from when I was catching it under the car. Better safe than sorry and then I won't be guessing on the coolant that was in there/mixing it all. I am pretty sure it was the original coolant as the car has only 60,000ish on it. The color of the coolant seems to be clear.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rooksstrife View Post
    So, I poured in the old coolant and I am taking it to get it completely flushed.
    You're fine. We tend to over-analyze things on this forum. Coolant can get a 20-page discussion going here.

I'm more interested in how you got the broken bolt out?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-04-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    You're fine. We tend to over-analyze things on this forum. Coolant can get a 20-page discussion going here.

I'm more interested in how you got the broken bolt out?
    So, I think the holes for thermostat bolts are deeper than the bolts supplied. The bolts are like a 6mm x 25mm. The hole is like 30mm deep. I drilled out most of it as you all know and made that damn chip with the extractor/pressure. So, I decided to use a dremel with a small diamond bit. I started to go down the center and about a 1/5" in from what I already did I saw a small pit... I started to have a full blown panic attack that it was some kind of coolant passage... then I saw an angelic light shine around the hole and realize it was the end of the bolt!!! After that, I took the bolt and finger turned it in - I got 7ish complete turns. Then I bought like 15 different bolt lengths and landed on a 30mm 10 grade, lol. Tested that out = fit. So I put it all back together - put a little bit of trans fluid on the top portion of the bolt and rebuilt up the chip part with JB WELD COLD WELD EPOXY 8265-S as an extra precaution + more threads in case. Added a TOOTH WASHER to that bolt in case it decided to try and backtrack out.

I literally contacted at least 5-8 machine/welding shops and they all either ghosted me or were like we don't want to help.

I also found these threads at menards that looked like a possible solution since no one wanted to weld up that chip (Midwest Fastener® 6m-1.0 x 3/8"-16 Metal Thread Insert). I was forming a plan on getting the hole wide and flat enough to have someone weld it on and use that as the new threads.

I think given the situation, I did the best I could, from what happened.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rooksstrife For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (02-04-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Sounds like a good plan to me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I think we agree that these require silicate free coolant? The stuff I use at work doesn't contain silicates and it looks like the stuff you suggested doesn't either. The label on my bottle says " It is fully compatible with other similarly formulated extended life coolants and is recommended for use in newer model Asian automotive and light duty vehicles requiring a phosphate based OAT engine coolant". So do the Mirages require a phospate based oat coolant?
    I looked up this stuff made in your town probably, https://www.smarter.cl/wp-content/up...-G12-Ficha.pdf
    Sure, I agree it must be silica free! Never heared of that brand! It says compliance with TL 774-D/F so it should be OK.

After my own car got a clogged heater core due to the wrong OEM coolant right from the factory, I am a bit cautious. I don't trust that OEM coolant they put in the 2014 Mirage cars.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Lets be nice guys. I doubt there is any of us out there with a fair amount of mechanical experience that haven't broken off a bolt or a stud and learning how to use an easy-out correctly is a right of passage. That being said with what I have read I would have to agree it doesn't seem you have the necessary skill level and would highly recommend taking it to a professional to at least assess the damage and possible solutions. Before opting for an engine replacement I would look at alternative fixes including JB weld. I have used it with more successes than failures. That said there are several good you tube videos that show how to safely drill out broken bolts or stripped nuts and patience is key in doing it right.

Quote Originally Posted by seatramp View Post
    Lets be nice guys. I doubt there is any of us out there with a fair amount of mechanical experience that haven't broken off a bolt or a stud and learning how to use an easy-out correctly is a right of passage. That being said with what I have read I would have to agree it doesn't seem you have the necessary skill level and would highly recommend taking it to a professional to at least assess the damage and possible solutions. Before opting for an engine replacement I would look at alternative fixes including JB weld. I have used it with more successes than failures. That said there are several good you tube videos that show how to safely drill out broken bolts or stripped nuts and patience is key in doing it right.
    I would highly recommend re-reading this thread.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I would highly recommend re-reading this thread.
    You're so mean ... cut it out!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    You're so mean ... cut it out!
    Be nice, that hurted my feeling.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't know if you can help but I am new to this forum. I am trying to change the thermostat on my 2020 1.3 L mitsubishi mirage. I'm having trouble finding it. I can't tell what hose the thermostat housing is hooked to. The upper hose or the lower hose. Any help finding it or any help with removing it. Thank you