Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do your spark plugs look like?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

What do your spark plugs look like?

It feels weird to hear much less say What spark plugs have a service life off a hundred thousand miles.

Figure it would be useful to compare how everybody's holding up at what kind of mileage interval.
    I just changed mine at about 97,000, I'll probably change them more frequently because it feels weird not to.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 36.7 mpg (US) ... 15.6 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My plugs, 2014 mirage at 97,000 miles
    Attached Images Attached Images          

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 36.7 mpg (US) ... 15.6 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.1 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Avgjohndoe For This Useful Post:

inuvik (08-01-2020),Top_Fuel (08-01-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Not too bad looking really for almost 100k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    I just registered today to get some comments from you guys, I bought my mirage last year around december and now i have a strange pinging noise coming from the spark plugs. I realised that they are not the OEM recommended ones and yet looks ashy

Name:  20200801_093525.jpg
Views: 1082
Size:  91.6 KB
    Name:  20200801_092718.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  89.5 KB
    Name:  20200801_094309.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  90.5 KB
    Inside:
    Name:  VideoCapture_20200801-190900.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  87.4 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovan View Post
    I just registered today to get some comments from you guys, I bought my mirage last year around december and now i have a strange pinging noise coming from the spark plugs. I realised that they are not the OEM recommended ones and yet looks ashy
    I would replace the incorrect plugs with the correct iridium spark plugs. If the pinging noise goes away, I wouldn't worry about the spark plugs again for another 100,000 miles.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I would replace the incorrect plugs with the correct iridium spark plugs. If the pinging noise goes away, I wouldn't worry about the spark plugs again for another 100,000 miles.
    I just ordered the NGK ones, the installed ones are Denso (4703) IKH16TT, they are iridium too but they are all ashy

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    I just ordered the NGK ones, the installed ones are Denso (4703) IKH16TT, they are iridium too but they are all ashy
    DENSO 1KH16TT is equivalent to the NGK and are listed in the FSM and owners manual as well. They are not wrong.
    Your plugs, the hole where they get put in, and the piston tops as far as can be seen are definitely not clean! I would patronize a different petrol brand. Further more, I would make sure to use a good fully synthetic oil as the manual says, change it regularly and make sure it is always up to the correct level as prescribed! Crappy oil can irreversably cake up the piston rings and make it burn oil and crap up the combustion chambers and spark plugs.
    Last edited by foama; 08-02-2020 at 06:57 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Ovan (08-02-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Here are mine at about 98,000 miles. I wanted to do a compression test on my motor right before the powertrain warranty expired and decided to replace the plugs at that time instead of waiting until the recommended 105,000 miles.

Turns out, they really didn't need to be changed. I thought about gapping and reinstalling them, but these cars ask for so little in terms of maintenance I just went ahead and replaced them.

Iridium plugs are pretty amazing compared to the old copper ones, and the new ruthenium plugs are supposed to be even better.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (11-25-2020)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    DENSO 1KH16TT is equivalent to the NGK and are listed in the FSM and owners manual as well. They are not wrong.
    Your plugs, the hole where they get put in, and the piston tops as far as can be seen are definitely not clean! I would patronize a different petrol brand. Further more, I would make sure to use a good fully synthetic oil as the manual says, change it regularly and make sure it is always up to the correct level as prescribed! Crappy oil can irreversably cake up the piston rings and make it burn oil and crap up the combustion chambers and spark plugs.
    Thank you, I only hope that the ignition coils are fine.

An off-topic question: is 10W30 (Castrol Magnatec Stop-Start) too think for these small engines? It had two oil changes at a Toyota dealership in the last 10.000 kilometres and that's the recommended oil by them in Australia.

I bought one of these valvoline injector cleaners , any recommended ideas on how to clean the piston tops?

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Thank you, I only hope that the ignition coils are fine.

An off-topic question: is 10W30 (Castrol Magnatec Stop-Start) too think for these small engines? It had two oil changes at a Toyota dealership in the last 10.000 kilometres and that's the recommended oil by them in Australia.

I bought one of these valvoline injector cleaners , any recommended ideas on how to clean the piston tops?
    If an ignition coil were shot, it would not run acceptably.

My experience with additives for the fuel has shown they benefit the industry more than the car.
    If the fuel is too low octane and knocks, the sensor tells the ECU and it adjusts accordingly. Pinging noises are not normal. Did you buy it new?

If you live in the northern parts, say Rockhampton or higher, 10w 30 doesn't seem too thick. Try to get an oil compliant with ILSAC GF-5 and change it timely. See the owners manual.

Last edited by foama; 08-02-2020 at 10:51 AM.