Thread: Door panel removal

Country
    UK
    Thanks

Door panel removal

Window lowered and ended with a clunk. Motor runs but no movement. All the panel screws removed, plus switch panel and triangular panel above main panel. What's the trick to release the panel from the clips (6 I think) holding it to the metalwork?
    2013 Mirage 3.
    Thanks for any advice.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SoundAdvice View Post
    Window lowered and ended with a clunk. Motor runs but no movement. All the panel screws removed, plus switch panel and triangular panel above main panel. What's the trick to release the panel from the clips (6 I think) holding it to the metalwork?
    2013 Mirage 3.
    Thanks for any advice.
    Did you also get the 2 screws under the handle that attach the center of the door panel to the inner door skin? If so you just need to pry the panel outward to release the push clips. Once you free one of them it will come off easily.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillAce For This Useful Post:

Mark (10-16-2022),SoundAdvice (10-17-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    There is a post on here by someone named CrazyJerry about rustproofing. I think he had some good pictures and described removing the panels

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 46.2 mpg (US) ... 19.6 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jbarr For This Useful Post:

SoundAdvice (10-17-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 46.2 mpg (US) ... 19.6 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jbarr For This Useful Post:

SoundAdvice (10-17-2022)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Looking at the metalwork, its just a case of BFI (Brute Force and Ignorance). As you say, releasing one clip enables gentle prying to free up the others.
    The cause of lack of mechanical drive to the window was due to a rotted splined shaft within the motor gearbox. I am attempting a repair with a view to buying another when it fails again (money is tight here...!)
    The cause of the rot appears to be inadequate sealing between the gearbox cap and body. Not enough goo was provided by Mitsuba, in my opinion.

If my solution lasts more than 3 months then I'll put some pictures on here.

Quote Originally Posted by SoundAdvice View Post
    Looking at the metalwork, its just a case of BFI (Brute Force and Ignorance). As you say, releasing one clip enables gentle prying to free up the others.
    The cause of lack of mechanical drive to the window was due to a rotted splined shaft within the motor gearbox. I am attempting a repair with a view to buying another when it fails again (money is tight here...!)
    The cause of the rot appears to be inadequate sealing between the gearbox cap and body. Not enough goo was provided by Mitsuba, in my opinion.

If my solution lasts more than 3 months then I'll put some pictures on here.
    I haven't run into that problem before. How do you figure water got in there? High humidity, plugged drain holes, or do you submarine your car sometimes?

Seems like different regions have very different problems.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Given the amount of internal rot I reckon its been sucking in moist air since installed. The grease has all dried up, but luckily the nylon gear is still good. The door inside is spotless and there are no other cases of corrosion.

I did accidentally submarine it last year in a flood which came up to the doors. Lots of belt squealing but everything recovered OK. Not recommended. Still a good machine. I now have two.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoundAdvice For This Useful Post:

inuvik (10-17-2022),Wil B (10-18-2022)