Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worried about pushing my electrical system

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Worried about pushing my electrical system

I am waiting on a new 2023 Mirage SE and there are a few things I want to add to it really bad.

I really want to add the Rockford Fosgate sound system but I hear that might be hard to find and not possible.
    If that isn't an option I would install an under the seat sub. peak RMS 400 watts possibly.

I also am thinking of getting heated seats and a remote starter installed.

My worry is that with all of this will I be pushing my electrical system to hard?
    I don't have any values to work with which is unfortunate. but has anyone else installed these things into their car and run into any issues?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The car comes with seat heaters as an option so that shouldn't be any extra stress on the electrical system.
    A remote start simply Is a remote control that replaces the key and has minimal extra draw on the electrical system. If you plan to use it have the radio and other accessories off when you exit the vehicle.
    As far add the audio upgrades go, a 400w class D amplifier won't draw that much current. The draw would be completely dependent on the volume you're listening at and varies with the audio signal. I would say in this case it would be less than the seat heaters which are a static load.

My G4 has OEM seat heaters, remote start and a large audio System with a Mosconi AS200.4 & AS300.2 which are class A/B amplifiers and fused at 150A each. They can exceed my electrical system capacity but since it's a sound quality focused system the power is for dynamics and transients not volume and I don't have any electrical issues.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillAce For This Useful Post:

cleadus_fetus (12-21-2022),Fummins (12-21-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cleadus_fetus View Post
    I am waiting on a new 2023 Mirage SE and there are a few things I want to add to it really bad.

I really want to add the Rockford Fosgate sound system but I hear that might be hard to find and not possible.
    If that isn't an option I would install an under the seat sub. peak RMS 400 watts possibly.

I also am thinking of getting heated seats and a remote starter installed.

My worry is that with all of this will I be pushing my electrical system to hard?
    I don't have any values to work with which is unfortunate. but has anyone else installed these things into their car and run into any issues?
    And for future, there's no such thing as Peak RMS. They are separate, Root Mean Squared is the power output of a constant sine signal at a certain allowable distortion. Peak is just that, a transient usually 1.4 x the RMS value of an amp.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I wouldn't worry too much, as Fummins shows in his video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkzmRd2FDso the mirage has an 840watt electric heating element that will augment the main heater in certain conditions.(low ambient temp, low coolant temp, low alternator load)
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mohammad For This Useful Post:

cleadus_fetus (12-22-2022),Fummins (12-22-2022)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillAce View Post
    The car comes with seat heaters as an option so that shouldn't be any extra stress on the electrical system.
    A remote start simply Is a remote control that replaces the key and has minimal extra draw on the electrical system. If you plan to use it have the radio and other accessories off when you exit the vehicle.
    As far add the audio upgrades go, a 400w class D amplifier won't draw that much current. The draw would be completely dependent on the volume you're listening at and varies with the audio signal. I would say in this case it would be less than the seat heaters which are a static load.

My G4 has OEM seat heaters, remote start and a large audio System with a Mosconi AS200.4 & AS300.2 which are class A/B amplifiers and fused at 150A each. They can exceed my electrical system capacity but since it's a sound quality focused system the power is for dynamics and transients not volume and I don't have any electrical issues.
    I'd like to see pics of your install work, and where the firewall penetrations are.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here's a build log on an audio site. It goes into details on wiring, fabrication, acoustics, etc.
    https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa...0/post-6098623
    Last edited by BillAce; 01-13-2023 at 01:17 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 1,035 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Root Mean Squared is the power output of a constant sine signal at a certain allowable distortion. Peak is just that, a transient usually 1.4 x the RMS value of an amp.
    Nerd!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 1,035 Posts
    I'm not big into mods. But all those things are reasonable, considering you reside on frozen tundra. I love a good sounding stereo too, but will tolerate the crap that comes out of the stock speakers, unless they explode. If I lived on frozen tundra, it would be nice to pooooosh a button and the car starts and begins to warm, as well as the seats begin to warm up. I've not seen the seat heater switches, can they be left in the on position?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

cleadus_fetus (01-13-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Nerd!
    *takes a bow* Why, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I I've not seen the seat heater switches, can they be left in the on position?
    Yep, my 2014 can be left on,
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    So this car gets warm really quick I don't think Seat heaters are necessary even in the northern climate.
    But we do get a lot of ice in here. having to remove several mm of ice is not unusual.