Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Socket size for wheel lug nuts - 2023 Mirage

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    Wally, do you think it's wise to post that you don't use a torque wrench on wheels as a lot of members may not be as able as you to feel the amount of torque they are applying on a wheel wrench??? They may over or under torque the nuts,,, just my thoughts, but I think we should be advising the use of a torque wrench for wheels to all members, ... As before, just thoughts,,, Sorry,,,
    Well, I hoped I qualified it enough by immediately stating I always use a torque wrench when precision is required as when rebuilding engines. That should alert even the, not being rude, densest DIY that my skill levels are likely well beyond someone who is doing these things for the first time. Also, TBH, how many DIY are going to purchase a good torque wrench (forget the $100 junk, they are not worth the time and money) just to swap tires? Nobody I know would. Put it this way, if Mitsubishi was really concerned total retards might change a tire they wouldn't include their little 20 some odd inch wheel wrench, fearing wheels would fly off because users didn't reef enough on said wrench. Also, those T wrenches simply would disappear from the market because of the danger they imposed.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Put it this way, if Mitsubishi was really concerned total retards might change a tire they wouldn't include their little 20 some odd inch wheel wrench, fearing wheels would fly off because users didn't reef enough on said wrench. Also, those T wrenches simply would disappear from the market because of the danger they imposed.
    Wow, sorry, your gooder lots then me, I guess I'm just a retard because I always torque my wheels...You do you & I'll go away... Sorry...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Wow, sorry, your gooder lots then me, I guess I'm just a retard because I always torque my wheels...You do you & I'll go away... Sorry...
    I think both of you made good points. How it was said in his response could have been better, but I don't always word things the best either.

What torque wrench do you use/own? I've been looking at some. Do you need an expensive one or will a more affordable one do the trick?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    you read it wrong, Mits has to assume there are the totally clueless who will change a tire so whatever they ship with the car must be safe enough without without torque wrenches or it's lawsuit time. that's not to say you are wrong, and I am right, it's simply there are those who use a torque and those that can't/won't. I'll add one more thing, a torque wrench in the hands of someone clueless is more dangerous than the little factory wrench provided.
    Last edited by Wallythacker; 01-10-2023 at 01:45 PM.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

BigMW (01-10-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    rule of thumb , the average man, not some gorilla type, can exert about 75-80 ft. lbs. of torque on a 12" lever one handed. I personally never used a torque wrench on tires but always do when being precise matters, cyl. heads, bearings, main caps, axle nuts. I've never had a wheel come loose nor failed to get one off by hand.

these shops that impact gun lug nuts to beyond 150 ft. lbs. should be shot.
    As a 130 lb. woman it takes everything I have to get a click on my torque wrench set at 80 ft lbs. I have resorted to propping the factory wrench up with a jack stand and bouncing my full weight on it a couple times to make sure each one is tight.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Princess_Bishi For This Useful Post:

BigMW (01-10-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,392 Times in 1,009 Posts
    rule of thumb , the average man, not some gorilla type, can exert about 75-80 ft. lbs. of torque on a 12" lever one handed.
    Since I qualify as the gorilla type, I can torque them 1 handed. I use a torque wrench if I'm in the vicinity of mine. Not to hit the right torque so much as, I like knowing all the lug nuts are EQUAL in torque. I don't know why, but this evenness of torque occupies my gorilla mind. OCD I guess.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

BigMW (01-10-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I advise you to stop using that torque wrench right away and either send it for calibration or scrap it! If it's an 18" long wrench you only need to apply roughly 53 lb. of downward force to get achieve 80 ft. lb. at the socket. If you're really jumping on it with 130 lb. to get a click, something is off. you may be applying as much as 200 ft. lb. on the nut which might be beyond the elasticity design meaning it's possibly stretched to the point of snapping off under an impact!

This is the perfect example of what I meant when someone with great intentions might not have a full understanding of what they are doing and actually creating a dangerous situation.

Princess, I'd much rather see you safe in reality than having you thinking you are safe!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-11-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess_Bishi View Post
    As a 130 lb. woman it takes everything I have to get a click on my torque wrench set at 80 ft lbs. I have resorted to propping the factory wrench up with a jack stand and bouncing my full weight on it a couple times to make sure each one is tight.
    I am sort of responding to this post and the previous one. I can't say that I really understand or can visualize what you are describing above, but I get the point that it's a real challenge.

There are several factors that go into using a torque wrench. If you have a long torque wrench, reaching 80 ft lbs will be easier because of the extra leverage of the longer handle. If your torque wrench is of a shorter/smaller design, the effort needed to reach 80 ft lbs will seem greater (it has less leverage).

Adding a long section of pipe over your torque wrench may help in your situation. I'm more of the gorilla type, but there are times I use a section of pipe & slide it over my breaker bars to extend them. Extending the length of the bar increases one's brute strength (gorilla or not). I am referring to other jobs & not lug nuts in my case here.

I am guilty of not owning/using a torque wrench, but I do think it is the best practice. I've been using a large 4-way lug wrench for decades. I tend to change tires on all my vehicles twice a year (early spring/late fall). A large 4-way lug wrench works well for me, & I have never had a lug nut that wasn't one of the 4 sizes. I can tug with both arms at the same time, & I have been doing it that way for so long (not overly worried about it). I make an effort to drive a bit & double check them, too.

Despite what I do, a good quality torque wrench is the way to go. A larger/longer 1/2" drive one will most likely make the job easier. If not, search for a piece of pipe that will slide over it! Added leverage = more strength

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

BigMW (01-11-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Despite what I do, a good quality torque wrench is the way to go. A larger/longer 1/2" drive one will most likely make the job easier. If not, search for a piece of pipe that will slide over it! Added leverage = more strength
    Agreed, if you don't mind paying for quality torque wrench it's a great way to go. Also, I can't recall the number of times a pipe/breaker bar saved me although I have broken a Sears 18" breaker bar using a long pipe. It was a 32mm Dodge axle nut. I swear it was torqued to at least 500 lb. or more. My Devilbiss impact didn't budge it. It took me and my gf hanging off a 3' pipe. The bolt budged just as the bar failed. Sears replaced it, NQA.

ETA: I have two torque wrenches. One is a 1/2" x 24" very expensive Gray. The other is a Sears 18" breaker bar with a CTC digital torque adapter. I carry the Sears & adapter with me at all times as I also carry an 11 pc. 1/2" deep impact socket set. That combo is so much more flexible (and costly) than the T bar but has been invaluable several times. (Mind, I also bought the combo items on sale years ago for a total of about $30)
    Last edited by Wallythacker; 01-11-2023 at 02:28 AM.

I advise you to stop using that torque wrench right away and either send it for calibration or scrap it! If it's an 18" long wrench you only need to apply roughly 53 lb. of downward force to get achieve 80 ft. lb. at the socket. If you're really jumping on it with 130 lb. to get a click, something is off. you may be applying as much as 200 ft. lb. on the nut which might be beyond the elasticity design meaning it's possibly stretched to the point of snapping off under an impact!

This is the perfect example of what I meant when someone with great intentions might not have a full understanding of what they are doing and actually creating a dangerous situation.
    YEah, something's not right there...^ Maybe she's using a 1/4" drive torque wrench with a 6" long handle? Who knows. Too tight or too loose=bad time.

I'm all for do-it-yourselfers but some of the posts I've read lately regarding the reversible-ratchet function of a ratchet and having brakes fail after attempting to replace them is kinda concerning. Entertaining though but I'd rather not see someone's wheel or car crash into someone else cause they are cheap(a cheap Mirage owner?), stubborn, and don't know how to do something properly.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)