Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Locking valuable stuff up

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Locking valuable stuff up

I was under the impression there was no such thing as a chain that could not be cut with large bolt cutters. Then I discovered chains with square links. I watched youtube videos to see big guys with 36" quality bolt cutters thwarted when trying to cut through chain that was 0.5" thick but square.

Where I live thieves would have to use bolt cutters as any powered tools would alert instantly and then game over for the bad guys. I'm considering buying this https://www.vevor.ca/bike-chain-lock...p_010539301978

I know a torch or hand grinder could blow through these chains in a flash but the whole idea is to make it difficult enough for the perp to decide to move on. Do you think this chain and lock will do the job?

PS. If the lock bothers you I have an insane Stanley padlock with a 3/8" molybdenum bolt, weird keys and a body that weighs over 16 oz. that I can use along with the Vevor supplied lock.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I was under the impression there was no such thing as a chain that could not be cut with large bolt cutters. Then I discovered chains with square links. I watched youtube videos to see big guys with 36" quality bolt cutters thwarted when trying to cut through chain that was 0.5" thick but square.

Where I live thieves would have to use bolt cutters as any powered tools would alert instantly and then game over for the bad guys. I'm considering buying this https://www.vevor.ca/bike-chain-lock...p_010539301978

I know a torch or hand grinder could blow through these chains in a flash but the whole idea is to make it difficult enough for the perp to decide to move on. Do you think this chain and lock will do the job?

PS. If the lock bothers you I have an insane Stanley padlock with a 3/8" molybdenum bolt, weird keys and a body that weighs over 16 oz. that I can use along with the Vevor supplied lock.
    No thoughts on the security chain, but curious about where you might use it?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    No thoughts on the security chain, but curious about where you might use it?
    March 2020 I lost a Suzuki Burgman. They were so stupid they swiped the older "cafe racer" model instead of the newer Executive. Since then I've taken pains to always park to block my bike and blowers from easy theft. I plan to lash the bike wheel to a blower to a trailer crossmember. If they want to jack something they have to jack it all or break out the noisy battery grinder/recip saw I suppose they could spend an hour with a hacksaw but where's the fun in that?

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I was hoping this would be a thread about replacing the dinkey cargo cover parcel shelf thing with something more solid.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    I was hoping this would be a thread about replacing the dinkey cargo cover parcel shelf thing with something more solid.
    I removed the cargo cover the day received my car, & I haven't used it since. Same thing with my rear seat headrest, but I seldom have passengers in the back (once in 5 years).

I can see using a security chain for a cycle. That makes total sense.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    It's painful to look outside and see a vehicle missing. I've never had a vehicle swiped. There was an attempted theft in 1992 of my expensive 1992 Polaris Indy. I always left it near empty. One night persons decided to steal it. It needed to be pushed/pulled/dragged 300 yds to nearest road where I presume a pickup truck was waiting. At the halfway point they decided to try starting it and driving the remainder. They tried long enough to pull start it they took 4 pisses in the snow, then something likely scared them off. I found my Indy the next morning after a short search. We were all shocked, figuring it was long gone. stupid thieves, or owner, maybe both.

To this day I don't leave anything that might be swiped with a full tank of fuel.

Oh, and I wish I had a second cargo bay cover, I've seen people looking into hatch cars for goodies.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    It's painful to look outside and see a vehicle missing. I've never had a vehicle swiped. There was an attempted theft in 1992 of my expensive 1992 Polaris Indy. I always left it near empty. One night persons decided to steal it. It needed to be pushed/pulled/dragged 300 yds to nearest road where I presume a pickup truck was waiting. At the halfway point they decided to try starting it and driving the remainder. They tried long enough to pull start it they took 4 pisses in the snow, then something likely scared them off. I found my Indy the next morning after a short search. We were all shocked, figuring it was long gone. stupid thieves, or owner, maybe both.

To this day I don't leave anything that might be swiped with a full tank of fuel.

Oh, and I wish I had a second cargo bay cover, I've seen people looking into hatch cars for goodies.
    I need a bumper sticker that says - "I'm a poor *******. This car doesn't run & there's nothing valuable inside!"

If someone really wants to steal something, you're probably not going to stop them. Making it less pleasant for them to do so seems wise, however!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I need a bumper sticker that says - "I'm a poor *******. This car doesn't run & there's nothing valuable inside!"

If someone really wants to steal something, you're probably not going to stop them. Making it less pleasant for them to do so seems wise, however!

Sorry, I guess you can't use the word "*******" on the forum!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-15-2022)

You have to type it bass-turd?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Mark (12-15-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Even the cops will tell the objective it to make the thieves task hard enough they decide it's not worth the effort and move along to an easier target. It's like the old, "I only need to run faster than you, not the bear" strategy.