Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Hobbies, I have a few. What do you enjoy?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Dodge advertised the 24V as being queiter than the 12V back in the day. They done lied.
    What are these things? Straight 6? V6? they run on 3 cyls? Like that goofy Cadillac engine that could run on 2 cyls?

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Straight 6. 4 valves per on mine. No junky glow plugs, uses a heater grid that warms the air before it enters the cylinders. Valve timing is gear driven, might be noisy but never looses timing so the power doesn't drift off over it's life like it will with a stretched chain, never snaps like a belt. Very reliable, lots of power, good economy. Mine is only lightly modified and dynos in the 800 lb-ft vicinity. Running a 1,000 lb-ft clutch.

They only run on 3 cylinders when REAL cold and only at about 1,200 rpm. Hit the throttle it runs on all 6. 3 cylinder mode makes the engine work harder so it will warm up quicker. Ive heard other videos where that 3 cylinder operation doesnt sound so horrible.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Straight 6. 4 valves per on mine. No junky glow plugs, uses a heater grid that warms the air before it enters the cylinders. Valve timing is gear driven, might be noisy but never looses timing so the power doesn't drift off over it's life like it will with a stretched chain, never snaps like a belt. Very reliable, lots of power, good economy. Mine is only lightly modified and dynos in the 800 lb-ft vicinity. Running a 1,000 lb-ft clutch.

They only run on 3 cylinders when REAL cold and only at about 1,200 rpm. Hit the throttle it runs on all 6. 3 cylinder mode makes the engine work harder so it will warm up quicker. Ive heard other videos where that 3 cylinder operation doesnt sound so horrible.
    So the obvious question I have: These things seemed really darn good. Why replace them?

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    So the obvious question I have: These things seemed really darn good. Why replace them?
    If you mean on a personal level, tis a good question. I've held onto mine, it's quite a machine,

If you mean on a corporate level, mine started off with 235 hp & 460 lb-ft of torque. And customers ALWAYS want more. And the EPA always want less (emissions). It tends to go that way from an OEM. Now they come with ridiculous levels of power, and you have to add some kind of emissions juice and burn extra fuel to clean out some awful filter. I think it is DEF fluid and I forget what the filter is called, but it theoretically catches soot. And at certain soot levels there is fuel added in some way that doesn't get burned until it gets to that filter and heats up that filter and burns the soot away. And then, the soot never exists anymore and trees are hugged and everything is wonderful. And then the filter system fails and costs either customers or oems thousands to replace it and they get to start that cycle over again. It's wonderful, really.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    If you mean on a personal level, tis a good question. I've held onto mine, it's quite a machine,

the filter is called, but it theoretically catches soot. And then, the soot never exists anymore and trees are hugged and everything is wonderful. And then the filter system fails and costs either customers or oems thousands to replace it and they get to start that cycle over again. It's wonderful, really.
    It think it's called the DPF, diesel particulate filter. So said filter saves the planet till Bubba straight pipes his rig through the bed and feeds the exhaust into the cab. Got it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, but I think it is a much bigger challenge, and a lot more expensive for Bubba to straight pipe one of these modern perfect zero impact enviro-buddy trucks.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I've always thought of diesels as the only and original "pure" ICE. you don't no steenkin' computers for them. Air, fuel, squeeze. Bang. What can possibly go wrong?

Well for starters an engineering department full of monkeys looking to solve problems that don't exist with tech that's not needed or faulty at source. I get all the computer junk is probably why you now have 500hp/1000ft.lb on a turbo diesel but

the old 6-71 produced 230hp or more and were some of the most reliable OTR long haul rigs pulling 45 tons. Why does a passenger truck need 500hp again? I've forgotten already.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It would be nice to have the option to choose the Cummins ISB engine of your choice. The ISB developed specifically for mpg, or the one developed to race powerjokes and duraduds. I'd choose the mpg version. I buy a lot of fuel to run my fleet, but I don't like buying fuel.

I'm driving my Paw's GMC Sierra today. And as I was easing away from a traffic light, (I was first at the line), traffic was going nuts behind me, it looked like the start of a Formula 1 race where the pole position car stalls, and all the traffic behind goes nuts to get around it. Had this one tiny lady in a huge Expedition just barrell past, she was the car beside me when the light turned green. I was paying attention and eased away, while she must have been checking her facebutt. After a few seconds she came blasting by like she was big daddy Don Garlits. She had to have her foot to the floor. And I was thinking, she's probably on her way to a Tesla dealer to trade it in so she can thumb her nose at me tomorrow for my enviro killing machines, after she drives her monster suv like its a dragster.

My hobby: Critiquing other drivers, especially since they all suck and I'm the only one out there who knows how to drive.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-19-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    I would like to see the boxy looking Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0 L straight 6 engine return. Leave out anything associated with Fiat. Keep it simple & cheap! I wouldn't care if it had vinyl seats & no A/C.

Quote -

"The 4.0L AMC inline six is known as one of Chrysler's best engines. Dating back to 1986, its torquey 190 hp engine would commonly chug along for upwards of 300,000 miles. Over the course of nearly 20 years this engine was refined and tweaked before being phased out in 2006." Oct 19, 2015

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I would like to see the boxy looking Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0 L straight 6 engine return. Leave out anything associated with Fiat. Keep it simple & cheap! I wouldn't care if it had vinyl seats & no A/C.

Quote -

"The 4.0L AMC inline six is known as one of Chrysler's best engines. Dating back to 1986, its torquey 190 hp engine would commonly chug along for upwards of 300,000 miles. Over the course of nearly 20 years this engine was refined and tweaked before being phased out in 2006." Oct 19, 2015
    My neighbor had one, I thought it was a really cool vehicle, one of the first crossovers along with the International something or other from the late 60's? Wow, they really were ahead of the curve.

IMO only the slant 6 was an equal Chrysler engine. Could not kill them. But a $2 ballast resistor stopped you dead. I had that engine in a Scamp and it got an honest 35 mpg in the summer, doing 80 mph with 5 adults and luggage. No AC.