Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nissan Sentra CVT Failure

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts

Nissan Sentra CVT Failure

A co-worker has a 2015 Nissan Sentra with a CVT. I think it has about 70,000 miles on it. After some ongoing symptoms (jerky, RPMS erratic, trouble climbing a hill) the dealer can finally duplicate these problems and they have called in for a replacement transmission from Nissan. Unfortunately it's on a national back order right now...so he's not sure when the new trans will actually be ready. It's a Jatco unit...but I'm not sure of the model. Nissan has had a LOT of issues with CVTs and there are class action lawsuits flying all over the place.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

I had a co worker with a 14(?) rogue with around 140k kms iirc, complaining about transmission problems. He took it to the dealer to get their opinion. They replaced the valve body and when that didn't fix it they replaced the entire cvt. Thankfully for him he unknowingly purchased extended warranty when they bought it new.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    ...he unknowingly purchased extended warranty when they bought it new.
    That's funny...this guy also purchased an extended warranty. But it wasn't from Nissan. The Nissan dealer actually sold him a third-party warranty on a new car. How cheesy is that?!? This guy should have know better. This warranty company was actually close to denying his new transmission because he couldn't prove that he had done all his engine oil changes on time?!? After a little bit of fighting they came around.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Yeah, the gf bought 3rd party warranty for her optima new from the dealer. Seems like a joke but might come in handy. But yeah, gotta keep all receipts for everything. Thankfully she gets free oil changes from the selling dealer but we moved in the fall across the city so now it's 30 min one way to get a free oil change. Almost not worth it but should have less hassle in case of a claim. They keep trying to make her pay for checkups/inspections as per service schedule: inspect belt,inspect cv boots,inspect brake hoses and fluid,tire rotation etc...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Sentra uses the same CVT7 as our Mirage correct? I know its used on the Cube and Juke. Is there any reason why Nissan is doing so badly in reliabilty vs Mitsu, using the same Jatco product? Ive heard the low curb weight, low torque theories but is there a massive difference in programming ECU work?

I'm too lazy to look it up. I'm sure the versa used the same one though and I know the chevy spark did for sure. We had a 14' spark that had 2 or 3 cvt's replaced under warranty. Then quickly sold the car after the last one was installed. The car only had around 100k kms/60k kms. I know the spark cvt shifted way differently than the Mirages. That was a few years ago though.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    I wonder how much of its ECU related? Or if its body design or if Im just reaching and its the luck of the draw no matter what your driving? Your gf like her Optima? I heard Kia has come light years from what they once were. Too bad they dont sell the Rio here in the states. Have you seen any Micras around? Seems like Canada gets the cool little cars from Europe and Japan.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Sentra uses the same CVT7 as our Mirage correct? I know its used on the Cube and Juke. Is there any reason why Nissan is doing so badly in reliabilty vs Mitsu, using the same Jatco product? Ive heard the low curb weight, low torque theories but is there a massive difference in programming ECU work?
    Same CVT, huge differences in programming. Nissan and Daewoo (Chevy Spark) programmed their CVT's differently with not so good results.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (05-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I wonder how much of its ECU related? Or if its body design or if Im just reaching and its the luck of the draw no matter what your driving? Your gf like her Optima? I heard Kia has come light years from what they once were. Too bad they dont sell the Rio here in the states. Have you seen any Micras around? Seems like Canada gets the cool little cars from Europe and Japan.
    15 years ago I'd never own a Kia. I've been driving her car since the fall, it's decent I guess. No problems yet, except for the ones cause by running into curbs and potholes. Don't see many Micra's around, Mirages and Fiats seem more common out here I find. Don't see many g4's though.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (05-08-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    What about your Armada? I bet thats a rare truck in the great white north. Theyre rare here in Atlanta too, but I justvsaw one on the road, damn do they look comfortable.