Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Efficient 15-Inch Wheels and Tires

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_B View Post
    Are the G4 and hatchback wheels completely interchangeable?
    Yes...G4 and hatchback wheels/tires can be used on either model with no issues.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 2,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Yes...G4 and hatchback wheels/tires can be used on either model with no issues.
    Mrs. Dirk's G4 steel rims (14" x 5") were on the rear of my Mirage all this past winter, while aftermarket 14" x 5.5" steel rims were on the front. Currently, I am back to the four 14" x 4.5" factory steel rims for the summer. Even though I saw some snow flurries today in lower Michigan, I am remaining optimistic about future weather!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (04-04-2021),Top_Fuel (04-02-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davidricardo86 View Post

Edit: I had my local dealer pair the TPMS sensors for $150 (ouch! ).
    This is why I purchased an Autel TS408 tool (currently $122.09 with free shipping). About the same price I paid a year ago.

https://www.jbtools.com/autel-ts408-...l-usa-version/

My nearest Mitsubishi & Subaru dealerships are 65 miles away. I am not driving 130 miles round trip to deal with sensors.

If I can't clone new sensors to my existing factory sensors, I would rather go without the sensors. It takes about 15 minutes to read the four codes on the car & clones 4 new matching sensors. When I changed both sets of tires last fall & this spring for my Mirage & Forester, the vehicles didn't even recognize the tires have been changed.

By having your new sensors programmed into your Mirage, your old sensors just became useless. Well, they aren't totally useless. You could pay the dealership another $150 to reprogram them back to the original sensors. If that's the case, I'd rather not have an extra set of sensors.

I realize you may have bought wheels that came with sensors, & this may not apply to your case exactly.

I will never change the TPMS codes on either of my vehicles. If a factory sensor dies for my 2011 Forester some day, I will just clone a $30 replacement. If I don't need the tire rebalanced, I can just break the bead & change it out myself. In my mind, owning two vehicles with TPMS & having 8 wheels for each one, justified the cost of buying a $125 tool that comes with lifetime updates. It will take care of any future vehicles I will ever own, too!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

PityOnU (04-02-2021),Top_Fuel (04-02-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    This is why I purchased an Autel TS408 tool (currently $122.09 with free shipping). About the same price I paid a year ago.

https://www.jbtools.com/autel-ts408-...l-usa-version/

My nearest Mitsubishi & Subaru dealerships are 65 miles away. I am not driving 130 miles round trip to deal with sensors.

If I can't clone new sensors to my existing factory sensors, I would rather go without the sensors. It takes about 15 minutes to read the four codes on the car & clones 4 new matching sensors. When I changed both sets of tires last fall & this spring for my Mirage & Forester, the vehicles didn't even recognize the tires have been changed.

By having your new sensors programmed into your Mirage, your old sensors just became useless. Well, they aren't totally useless. You could pay the dealership another $150 to reprogram them back to the original sensors. If that's the case, I'd rather not have an extra set of sensors.

I realize you may have bought wheels that came with sensors, & this may not apply to your case exactly.

I will never change the TPMS codes on either of my vehicles. If a factory sensor dies for my 2011 Forester some day, I will just clone a $30 replacement. If I don't need the tire rebalanced, I can just break the bead & change it out myself. In my mind, owning two vehicles with TPMS & having 8 wheels for each one, justified the cost of buying a $125 tool that comes with lifetime updates. It will take care of any future vehicles I will ever own, too!
    This is the way

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    This is the way
    Better yet to find a way to easily access the Mirage TPMS and program any compatible sensor.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Better yet to find a way to easily access the Mirage TPMS and program any compatible sensor.
    I disagree. Cloning is much better. I can change all four wheels in the spring & fall, & I don't have to do anything to keep my TPMS working. Cloned sensors aren't priced much differently than other sensors, & it doesn't require a real expensive tool to clone them.

If I had to.reprogram my car ever time I changed wheels, I wouldn't buy a 2nd set of sensors for them.
    If you use 8 different codes/vehicle, you're never done messing with the system. Yuck!

I own two vehicles. I'd much rather have my two sets of wheels cloned to each other for each vehicle. Having to deal with 16 different sensor codes each spring & fall would be a pain.
    Last edited by Mark; 04-05-2021 at 04:41 AM.

Thanks again... Also EP422 vs. EP422 PLUS

This is such a great thread, Top Fuel. \

If I could add multiple thanks to your original post, I would.

---

I ALMOST just pulled the trigger today on a set of used 185/65R15 EP422 tires, but it wasn't until I saw the tire itself that I discovered the seller had described them in the ad as "422 PLUS", when they weren't. (He copied the tire description/specs from a retailer's site without realizing there were 2 distinct versions of EP422).

FYI, the PLUS tires have even lower rolling resistance than the non-PLUS tires. (Longer tread life, too, I think).

https://www.auto123.com/en/news/tire...ce-tire/60535/

I'm holding out for a set of PLUSes. Because I'm a rolling resistance nerd.

Also, he wouldn't budge from his asking price.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (04-10-2022)

Not 15’s but I found a great deal on some stock tires https://www.kijiji.ca/v-tires-rims/e...rce=ios_social

Four New 165/65 R14 Tires for Sa $25.00
    I don’t know about using the term new for something that’s been used for 2 years but it’s cheap.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Not 15’s but I found a great deal on some stock tires https://www.kijiji.ca/v-tires-rims/e...rce=ios_social

I don’t know about using the term new for something that’s been used for 2 years but it’s cheap.
    4 new Dunlop Enasaves would be $668 + tax @ Walmart. As long as you don't have a sidewall issue, I don't think it's hard to get 35,000+ miles from the Dunlop tires. Asking $25, but wants $5/tire?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-10-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    ...ALMOST just pulled the trigger today on a set of used 185/65R15 EP422 tires, but it wasn't until I saw the tire itself that I discovered the seller had described them in the ad as "422 PLUS", when they weren't.
    I'm thinking that the "Plus" version has been around for at least 6-7 years (which I assume is when the non-Plus model was discontinued). I wonder what the date code on those tires was?

I have seen some of the older Ecopias occasionally showing up on eBay. But they have date codes that are sometimes close to 8 or 9 years old.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)