Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the most gas you've ever filled in your Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I do 37 psi all around
    If I using tires that max out @ 44 psi, I run my tires at 40-42 psi.
    If I am using tires that max out @ 51 psi, I run my tires around 47-48 psi.

Discount Tires has a very nice selection of 175/65r14 tires. Since we live in different parts of the country, we may not see the same ones? They have some really good choices in that $60-70 price range. Yes, they are bit more expensive than what you currently have, but they are also 70,000+ mile tires verses your 40,000 mile tires.

For example - The TOYO EXTENSA A/S II P 175 /65 R14 81T SL BSW is 75,000 mile warranty tire. Tire description -

"The Toyo Extensa A/S II is a fuel efficient, all-season touring tire designed for your sedan, crossover, SUV or light truck. The Extensa A/S II delivers dry and wet performance with a special silica compound and multi-wave sipes for extended tread life and a comfortable, quiet ride. It is built in popular 14 through 18 inch sizes and is backed by a 75,000 mile limited treadwear warranty in T and H rated sizes and 65,000 miles in V rated sizes."

I wouldn't rule out the HANKOOK KINERGY ST H735 175 /65 R14 82T SL BSW @ the same price or the KUMHO SOLUS TA11 175 /65 R14 82T SL BSW for $68/tire.

I don't have any personal experience with these tires, but they are somewhat well known brands.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If I using tires that max out @ 44 psi, I run my tires at 40-42 psi.
    If I am using tires that max out @ 51 psi, I run my tires around 47-48 psi.

Discount Tires has a very nice selection of 175/65r14 tires. Since we live in different parts of the country, we may not see the same ones? They have some really good choices in that $60-70 price range. Yes, they are bit more expensive than what you currently have, but they are also 70,000+ mile tires verses your 40,000 mile tires.

For example - The TOYO EXTENSA A/S II P 175 /65 R14 81T SL BSW is 75,000 mile warranty tire. Tire description -

"The Toyo Extensa A/S II is a fuel efficient, all-season touring tire designed for your sedan, crossover, SUV or light truck. The Extensa A/S II delivers dry and wet performance with a special silica compound and multi-wave sipes for extended tread life and a comfortable, quiet ride. It is built in popular 14 through 18 inch sizes and is backed by a 75,000 mile limited treadwear warranty in T and H rated sizes and 65,000 miles in V rated sizes."

I wouldn't rule out the HANKOOK KINERGY ST H735 175 /65 R14 82T SL BSW @ the same price or the KUMHO SOLUS TA11 175 /65 R14 82T SL BSW for $68/tire.

I don't have any personal experience with these tires, but they are somewhat well known brands.
    Those Toyos look good Mark. Thank you. I'll put those on next time.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post

I pussed out on Monday night. I left the house with 3 bars, and thinking I was going to make it all the way to my dad's house, ~142 miles away). And I was going to "calibrate" the trip meter / odometer while doing it. But I pussed out. I like to get gas at one particular brand, not because of fuel quality (or maybe the lack thereof), but for the overall cheapness as well as I get points and free coffee / drinks everytime, and other free crap too. Anywho, I was just getting north of Atlanta, and there is a long gap between available preferred gas stations, so I pussed out when it said I had 50 miles range left.

I wasn't feeling the risk though, and juiced up.
    I sort of view the 8 bars on the gas gauge as representing 1 gallon of gas for each bar. When a gallon of gas is used up, a bar disappears. Just a rough estimate on my part. I've been doing some longer trips lately, & I have waited until my final bar has been blinking a couple times to fill up. If I let the final bar totally disappear, I feel there's about 1.5 gallons left.

When the last bar starts to blink, I sort estimate that I have about 2 gallons left. If I had a can of gas in the car, I would make bolder predictions!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Those Toyos look good Mark. Thank you. I'll put those on next time.
    I would keep them in mind. Things can always change in the tire market. Discount Tires does seem to offer nice choices, & I know you are happy with their service.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,417 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Hankooks and Kuhmos are Korean tires. After having worked in design for Toyota, then switching and working in design for Hyundai-Kia, and vomiting for years over the joke what is Hyundai-Kia and their suppliers compared to what I saw first hand with Toyota and their suppliers, I get queasy even thinking about anything Korean.

I'm sure there are some decent Korean things out there (Korean women ), but as it relates to Hyundai-Kia and their suppliers I worked with, they were amazingly horrible as compared to Toyota and their suppliers.

That said, I doubt I will ever own a Korean made product if there is an alternative.

Caveat - Hyundai-Kia still CRUSHES BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Volkswagen, in regards to owning a vehicle that is not a complete money pit. I'd rather own a Hyundai-Kia than anything European, except Porsche, Lambo, Ferrari.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Hankooks and Kuhmos are Korean tires. After having worked in design for Toyota, then switching and working in design for Hyundai-Kia, and vomiting for years over the joke what is Hyundai-Kia and their suppliers compared to what I saw first hand with Toyota and their suppliers, I get queasy even thinking about anything Korean.

I'm sure there are some decent Korean things out there (Korean women ), but as it relates to Hyundai-Kia and their suppliers I worked with, they were amazingly horrible as compared to Toyota and their suppliers.

That said, I doubt I will ever own a Korean made product if there is an alternative.

Caveat - Hyundai-Kia still CRUSHES BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Volkswagen, in regards to owning a vehicle that is not a complete money pit. I'd rather own a Hyundai-Kia than anything European, except Porsche, Lambo, Ferrari.
    My 4 pairs of 165/65r14 tires are made in -

Dunlop Enasaves - Thailand - factory
    Nokian Nordman 7 - Russia - paid approximately $80
    Federal SS-657 - Taiwan - paid approximately $40
    Nexen N'Priz AH5 - Korea - paid approximatley $50

I bought a pair of Nexen tires when they were on sale for $50 last summer. They are typically around $75. For $50, they were the best available value in my mind at the time. At $75, I would buy the Federal tires for $40-50 instead. The Nexen have a better warranty than the Federal tires. I used the Nexen tires on the rear this past winter, & I have zero concerns about them.

The Federal tires aren't bad. I prefer them over the Dunlop Enasave tires, but they wear down about as fast. Then again, the Federal tires are about 1/3 the cost if you find them on sale. Pumped up to 40 psi I don't notice any hit on mpg.

I am currently watching the price of Kumho Solus TA31 tires. They have a 500AA rating with a 60,000 mile warranty. If someone knows of a better warranty tire for 165/65r14 tire, please share? I don't care what country the tire is made. I've seen them as low as $59, & I should have bought a pair at that price. Tires prices really fluctuate.

My Federal & Dunlop tires are extremely worn down. I plan on wearing them down completely this summer. If I should have an issue with either pair, I have the Nexen pair ready to go. I take a Nexen tire with me as a spare on any of my longer trips.

I will most likely pick up another pair of tires some time this year. If I find the Kumho Solus TA31 drop below $60 again, I am picking up a pair. I am not convinced tires made in Russia, Thailand, or Taiwan are made better than Korean tires.

There are two American tire companies (Goodyear & Cooper), and Goodyear just bought out Cooper recently. Cooper tires are the most common tire brand in my area, but they don't make any 165 tires.

A bit off topic in this thread!

I'd pick up some of those kumho's if they're cheap enough and I actually needed tires.
    I've got crapy dunlops on the black car now. They'll probably last this summer easily and maybe next too? I've got china rotalla winter 175's that are still good for a few more winters. And I've got a pair of chinese aptany 165's that still have lots of life left.

I just checked on quattrotires.com and they only have 3 165-65 14 all/4 season tires in stock. I'm sure they had more to choose from last month when I bought some for the car I sold.

I don't care where a tire is made, I'd rather not support that cheap flu place but I'm cheap.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    "All US market cars sold since 1971 have a closed circuit system to trap and later burn the fumes from their gas tanks. A complex array of charcoal canisters, tubes, valves and sensors comprise a system designed to handle gasoline vapors only, not liquid fuel. Jamming too much fuel into it repeatedly can result in a Check Engine state that will keep your car from passing an emissions test and could cost hundreds of dollars or more to repair."

In some cars this can be a very expensive repair. Just something to think about when filling up.
    Combining the vapor systems with OBD II software and placing the fuel pump in the tank is what causes problems. Nobody ever had a problem topping off a 1973 Malibu or 1986 Camry, except maybe for excessive spillage.

The only vehicle I had that was a total pita to fill was our 04' Armada. I'm pretty sure the charcoal canister was flooded in that turd pail.
    Otherwise I've never had a problem filling up my vehicles until gas was right below the gas cap. Though I rarely kept anything for more than a few years.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    The only vehicle I had that was a total pita to fill was our 04' Armada. I'm pretty sure the charcoal canister was flooded in that turd pail.
    Otherwise I've never had a problem filling up my vehicles until gas was right below the gas cap. Though I rarely kept anything for more than a few years.
    Nissan had some problems with a bunch of their vehicles:

https://www.nissan-techinfo.com/asis.../V/I/1VI38.PDF