Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another one bites the dust (my wrecked / totaled Mirage)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Another one bites the dust (my wrecked / totaled Mirage)

So, the unthinkable happened this morning. I was in rush-hour traffic on my way to a training class for my job. Traffic was bumper to bumper, slow and go. We get to a part where we start going at about 20ish, and I glance down for a single second at my phone's GPS, and within that second, the car ahead of me slows down, and I ran straight into their rear bumper. Both the wheel and knee air bags deployed, with enough force to shatter the plastic on the key and two of my little key charms, as well as ripping my lanyard. Thankfully, no bodily injuries of any kind to either party.

I find out what the verdict is from the insurance in the morning, but I'm anticipating a total loss. At least I did have the EasyCare gap coverage, so that will pay off the loan. Right now I'm not sure if I want to go take out another loan on another Mirage, or go back to a cheap $1k Craigslist beater and skip the payments. Needless to say, it's heartbreaking. This is also my first accident I've been involved in.

I can still smell the airbags, too.

Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Cani Lupine; 06-18-2015 at 01:39 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Glad to read everyone's OK, but that BITES!!

Keep us posted about insurance.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    That's 20 mph ?
    WOW. They fold up easy huh!?
    You get to walk away though, so fair trade.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Stupid smart phones are a real problem , i got T-boned at an intercession by an idiot not paying attention and lost a leg because of it. Now i can't even get an employer to even consider me for employment , ****ed my whole life up because of someones texting was more important……FFS when you drive it's a job in on it's self .

Sorry about your loss but like Jimmy Buffet says "It's your own damn fault"
    Last edited by upflyer; 06-18-2015 at 02:05 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    so sad :*(
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That blows! However I have a feeling they are going to fix it. Based on what I see at our body shop being fixed.

It looks from the pictures as it will need one fender,hood,bumper,core support,a rail,a little cutting and pulling,airbags,module and some other things I can't think of.

Roof, A-pillar,doors,headlamps,windshield,suspension,wheel s "look" intact,that might save enough for the insurance to fix it..just a guess.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If it's totaled, you should buy it back for the drive train.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Doesn't take much to total out one of these little guys...especially when half a dozen $600 airbags deploy. Airbags are what most people fail to consider when looking at the cost of repairing a car.

Glad all parties are okay.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes please find out how much the "buy back" price is, you might be able to save it (if you don't mind a rebuilt title).

I know parting it out may not be very profitable, I've been searching for replacement parts for hoarding myself and a cheap 5 speed is $500 and engine with 4k miles can be found for 1100 shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    That's 20 mph ?
    WOW. They fold up easy huh!?
    You get to walk away though, so fair trade.
    -Modern cars with better safety ratings are designed to fold in an accident, the folding action transmits more of the crash inertia to the body of the car rather than to the occupants

When I was riding with my dad in his 2012 Ford Edge limited he was not paying attention to the road and trying to point something out at me, traffic came to a sudden halt without him noticing, the ford edge automatically turned off the a/c, radio, then had a alarm go off and red light flashing onto the windshield, he hit the brakes just in time to avoid rear ending the car stopping ahead of us. It really did save us from an accident, makes me think about investing into a expensive system like this....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HUD-Lane-Dep...50a3a9&vxp=mtr

Last edited by alex16; 06-18-2015 at 09:27 AM.
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)