Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting Mirage Quirks!!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    On mine, the speed at which it becomes continuous varies with the amount of rain falling, too. Gets there much quicker in a heavy rain, which leads me to believe it's actually rain sensitive, not speed sensitive. In reality, when your Mirage move gracefully through the rain storm, the amount of rain hitting the windshield increases with speed.
    I actually like it until it goes to continuous. Then I back it down one notch - if I can!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 44.2 mpg (US) ... 18.8 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The windshield wipers will be the one thing in this car that I will absolutely hate I do not want my wipers to change speed unless I change the speed it matters not the speed I am going most of the time I keep them off and let my RainX coated windows have the water just run off. but if I need my wipers I set a the slowest setting I need.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mine just does that if you have it on wiper delay at the top speed of the delay and it starts raining hard then it will speed up . Not when you press on the gas. Unless euro models are diffrent.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    The windshield wipers will be the one thing in this car that I will absolutely hate I do not want my wipers to change speed unless I change the speed it matters not the speed I am going most of the time I keep them off and let my RainX coated windows have the water just run off. but if I need my wipers I set a the slowest setting I need.
    Well, it's not that I've never been wrong about how to read the manual, but...

According to the manual, the speed of the wipers does NOT change.
    What changes is the interval setting when intermittent is selected, ie the delay between wipes. The delay can go to zero.
    And luckily for you, you can take your manual open to page 3-122 to your dealer and ask them to deactivate this feature.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 46.0 mpg (US) ... 19.5 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by debburyl View Post
    Mine just does that if you have it on wiper delay at the top speed of the delay and it starts raining hard then it will speed up . Not when you press on the gas. Unless euro models are diffrent.
    You're certain? When I tested mine last night on the 2nd intermittent setting, at 60mph, there was a non-zero delay. At 61mph, zero delay (ie continuous low speed).

I doubt pressing on the gas has anything to do with it; you can maintain a steady gas pedal setting and the car can still speed up, so I suspect what happened to you was that you went from the top speed of the delay setting to just over. I gather that with the CVT it n be hard to tell if you've speeded up slightly.

And with drive by wire cars, it wouldn't be unusual to have the pedal programmed for flywheel torque demand for manual transmissions, and road wheel torque demand for automatics so even if the gas pedal position never changed, the throttle plate could still change.

The reference to euro cars is that the upper trim levels in the UK in fact DO have rain sensing wipers on Mirage 2 and Mirage 3, and that would give the behavior you've described. But any rain sensor I've seen so far is fairly obvious on the widshield close to the mirror, and if we had them, I'm sure it would be listed as a feature.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 46.0 mpg (US) ... 19.5 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.2 mpg (Imp)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mpaton View Post
    As I don't have a shop manual I'm not certain about this one, but it appears that my US 2014 Mirage ES with FAST key has no steering lock.

I've never owned a keyless start car before, but it seems like a good idea. If I have a key, and I want to turn the engine off while I'm moving, I know how to avoid locking the steering, but this would be much harder to do with a start/stop button.

Plus if I ever tow it 4 wheels down, I won' have to leave any key in it.

If I pull the blank plug that covers the hole where the mechanical key would have gone, then I can see the slot in the steering column where the lock would have engaged.

I confirmed this today. I was able to turn the steering wheel from one extreme to the other with the car turned off and it never locked.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Your probly wright , all I know is I was doing the speed limit and I had it on wiper delay and it was raining all of a sudden the rain came down real hard and the wipers went to wiping faster then when it slowed down the wipers went back to delayed wiping
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Pull up once on the wiper stick and they'll sweep one time. If you hold the stick up, the wipers will speed up and wipe wildly for as long as you do.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I noticed something changing the oil yesterday. I've mentioned the cutout in the air dam that lets you easily grip the oil filter to remove it. But in addition to that, there is a spout under the filter. So the oil from the filter, instead of dripping on everything beneath it, running down the block, etc, like some more, ahem, EXPENSIVE cars, it just drains down that spout and into the drain pan.

Look at your oil filter from under the hood (It's a little below and to the driver's side of the intake manifold) and you can see the metal spout.

The more I drive this car, the more examples I see if engineers making life easier for me to keep the car running.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tinker1980 For This Useful Post:

fatcat (03-23-2015),flgrown (02-26-2020)