Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Adjust clutch engagement point - Mitsubishi Mirage / Space Star

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    POINT, bad adjustment can wear out the throw out bearing. I checked mine by pulling on the cable. At about a half inch deflection, I could hear the release bearing hit the fingers of the pressure plate. If you have moved the engagement point to high, it will cause the bearing to be touching the pressure plate's engagement point. The bearing is supposed to be stationary when you let off the pedal completely.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deleted user For This Useful Post:

laceygirl (09-16-2015),Mr. Mits (03-26-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    When its not raining ill check adjustment again to make sure im not riding the bearing.

So far so good. Its only knotchy when cold (expected)

Alot better now shifts more "flat" (thats the best describer i have for how it was before vs now)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    My clutch feels a little bouncy.... Going to have the dealership check that one....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage LS 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.2 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ionno I think the position is perfect by default. The only car I hate the clutch position on that mitsu makes it the evo x. Just god awful your heel cant even rest on the floor ever its so damn high up.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I can't say I've ever really disliked the clutch pedal engagement position. I've just gotten used to it fairly quickly.

Having the option to move it is always nice though.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just did this on my GF's Mirage and will test drive the adjustment soon. I adjusted it the way I would adjust a clutch on the Geo Metro. I leave just a tiny amount of play/wiggle in the lever so the cable isn't under any tension when you let off. I know this will move the engagement point closer to the floor.

One thing I notice is that the adjuster doesn't have any way of locking into position. The Metro ones have a half round in the but so you have adjustments of 1/2 turn and it can't back off on its own. Can these back off on their own?

Conor

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cwatkin For This Useful Post:

Mr. Mits (03-26-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I missed one crucial step and forgot to drink beer haha. I popped the hood to see what tools I'd need.. none? Nice! Adjusted and it's so much better, thank you

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Aamp For This Useful Post:

Mr. Mits (03-26-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cwatkin View Post
    One thing I notice is that the adjuster doesn't have any way of locking into position.
    I recently found a reference to a bushing protrusion which is to mate with a recess in the adjuster nut to hold things in place. I'll have to look for this in mine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Mr. Mits (03-26-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts

Service manual: clutch adjuster

The service manual has these instructions for adjusting the clutch pedal.

Quote Originally Posted by 2015 Mirage Service Manual

CLUTCH PEDAL CHECK AND ADJUSTMENT

1.Turn back the carpet etc. under the clutch pedal.

2.Measure the clutch pedal free play. Standard value (A): 11 - 16 mm (0.4 - 0.6 in)

3.If the clutch pedal free play is out of the standard range, while pulling the clutch cable on transaxle side in the direction shown by the arrow, turn the nut so that it contacts the bushing protrusion. Return the nut to reach the nut recess nearest to the point contacting the bushing protrusion, and the protrusion into the nut recess to fix it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Daox (09-12-2016),HydroJim (01-08-2017),mitsumi (01-31-2018),Mr. Mits (03-26-2023)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deleted user View Post
    POINT, bad adjustment can wear out the throw out bearing. I checked mine by pulling on the cable. At about a half inch deflection, I could hear the release bearing hit the fingers of the pressure plate. If you have moved the engagement point to high, it will cause the bearing to be touching the pressure plate's engagement point. The bearing is supposed to be stationary when you let off the pedal completely.
    This is why I cant finish my clutch cable adjustment as I don't know how to tell if what im doing is correct or not. Hope you guys where my neighbours to help me fix this.

@Eggman

2.Measure the clutch pedal free play. Standard value (A): 11 - 16 mm (0.4 - 0.6 in)

3.If the clutch pedal free play is out of the standard range, while pulling the clutch cable on transaxle side in the direction shown by the arrow, turn the nut so that it contacts the bushing protrusion. Return the nut to reach the nut recess nearest to the point contacting the bushing protrusion, and the protrusion into the nut recess to fix it.
    how do I measure the clutch pedal free play? Sorry im so noob for this

My car still at our front gate waiting to be fixed haha..

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mitsumi For This Useful Post:

Mr. Mits (03-26-2023)