Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vee Rubber City Star tires

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Vee Rubber City Star tires

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Vee-Rubbe...Tire/412162508

anyone tried these or heard of vee rubber before?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by benwerks View Post

Steer clear. Lots of quality control issues.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by benwerks View Post

I've heard of Vee Rubber, but I have never tried them. I check tire prices on simpletire.com at times & Vee Rubber tires are always listed there. Simpletire.com seems to list the most 165/65-14 tire options, but I would question the quality of some of them.

"Vee Rubber was founded in 1977 by Sukanjanapong as a manufacturer of bicycle and motorcycle tires and tubes." Nov 24, 2014

If I was shopping for tires, I would look at Walmart, but I would surely check other sites like tirerack.com, simpletire.com, & tires-easy, and others.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    In their website, they specified 36 PSI as the max pressure for their 165/65/14. Since for Mirage you need 35 PSI and being so close to max allowed tire pressure, did not seem very reliable to me.

If you check Dunlops for the same size, their max inflation pressure is 44 PSI which is well above 35 PSI.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grevster View Post
    In their website, they specified 36 PSI as the max pressure for their 165/65/14. Since for Mirage you need 35 PSI and being so close to max allowed tire pressure, did not seem very reliable to me.

If you check Dunlops for the same size, their max inflation pressure is 44 PSI which is well above 35 PSI.
    A 165/65-14 tire like the Vredestein Quatrac 5 has a 51 psi maximum.

I would be very skeptical of Vee Rubber tires. They could be awesome, but someone else is going to have put 40,000 miles on them first & then convince me of that!

At this point, Federal SS657, Vredestein Quatrac 5, Dunlop WinterMaxx 2, and Nokian Nordman 7 are the only 165/65-14 tires I would still consider buying for my Mirage. If I found an awesome deal on a pair of Bridgestone Potenza, I may give them a try. They would have be priced less than the Federals for that to happen, however.

Since White Bear offers the 165/65R-14 the Nexen N'Priz AH5 as a tire option for the Mirage, I may explore them some day. I want to see how the Federal & Vredestein compare first. That alone may take a few years to happen for me.

Sidenote: The 165/65-14 Vee Rubber tires may have been designed for the Can Am Spyder, too. The front wheels on a Spyder are 165/65-14 on 14" x 5" rims. Vee Rubber may be more known for bicycle and motorcycle tires maybe?
    Last edited by Mark; 08-31-2019 at 02:42 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    i found 1 review from a mirage owner so far and it seems good. not saying im going to buy them but its interesting to see a review for a mirage.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I bought a set from Pep Boys when they had them super cheap. Had them installed by a local shop, and immediately noticed serious vibration. Went back to the installer the next week, presuming I just had a tire out of balance. Turns out that three of these brand new tires were OUT-OF-ROUND! I sh!t-canned the whole set and replaced them with Goodyears at Sears. The tire shop guys there said they call these tires "Sh!tty Stars" because they replace so many of them.

Spend a few bucks more and get Federals.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I bought a set from Pep Boys when they had them super cheap. Had them installed by a local shop, and immediately noticed serious vibration. Went back to the installer the next week, presuming I just had a tire out of balance. Turns out that three of these brand new tires were OUT-OF-ROUND! I sh!t-canned the whole set and replaced them with Goodyears at Sears. The tire shop guys there said they call these tires "Sh!tty Stars" because they replace so many of them.

Spend a few bucks more and get Federals.
    Cobrajet - You make some excellent points!

I once bought a cheaper front tire for one of motorcycles. I took it back in twice, & we could not get it to balance. Spending a few extra bucks for a better front tire was the only solution.

That's why I would never order tires like Vee Rubber from someone like simpletire.com. Imagine ordering the tires, taking them in somewhere to be mounted, & then realize they are crap (bad enough that you can't really use them from the start). Now what do you do? It's not worth taking that gamble. Just because something is cheap doesn't mean it is a good deal!

Ordering them through Walmart may be less of a crapshoot, but why gamble on cheap, lesser known tires?

That's why my list of 165/65-14 tires that I am willing to try is very small. Outside of snow tires, Federal & Vredestein are the only tires I am going to try at this point. If I feel these tires are a bust over time, I will go with 175/65-14 options.

I would never buy tires from a dealership, but I do look at what White Bear Mitsubishi offers for their customers. They have a nice tire center option listed under parts & service on their website. Since they sell a higher volume of Mirages, I check from time to time on what they offer. By the way - their tires are way over priced.

I noticed a new offering by White Bear. They sell a 165/65r14 KUMHO SOLUS TA31 tire that has a 60,000 mile tread wear warranty. I don't see this tire in that size on the market elsewhere, but I haven't looked that hard either.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (09-01-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    there are a lot of bad reviews for the city star tires. federal seems like the best inexpensive option so far. anything with such a silly title like vee rubber city star kind of throw me off as being legitimate. i will have to keep a look out for the kumho solus's as i have had good experiences with kumho.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I would never buy tires from a dealership
    I would, and I have, especially if they will price match. Even if they won't price match but will get close. I would opt for the professionals at my dealership and help them keep their brick-and-mortar store in business. But that's just me.

There are hidden risks in always choosing the lowest cost.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)