Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uber Mirage

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Uber Mirage

You guys might have noticed me not posting in here AS much as normal, its simple I am not at home much anymore, I should get a tablet so I can post but most of my time is on my iphone watching videos while sitting in my Mirage waiting for a "ping" ride request.

I left my job as I became a number and not a person, I enjoy driving for uber part time so I figured when I was suspended for my last barcode scan at 10:56 when we are not allowed to leave the floor until 10:58 (very large distribution center) I told myself that was the last straw. I worked uber for the whole week I was suspended then put in my two weeks notice. I have been driving full time now for a month now. There are very few full time drivers in my market that can stay in business at times, its not always easy and I put in a ton of hours working, but 65% of those 60-70 hours im Just relaxing in my Mirage. My markets are far from my home, I'm kinda in the middle of 6 markets. Harrisburg is the easy 60Mph cruise control 50 miles, but its over saturated with drivers so I go to other cities like Allentown during the week 60 miles and State college 80 miles during friday and saturday. I put close to 600 miles a week maybe 700 some weeks. The average is about 46-47 currently with highway drive and uber combined, prius guys can edge me out easily 50mpg avg prius c, but cost per mile is what really matters and for newer cars the Mirage is unbeatable for uber. The spark is not allowed to uber because uber cars must seat 4 passengers + driver.

I'll be honest depending where your city is and your market, Uber may not be worth it. I make it work for me because I enjoy the job but stick shift is a bit of work for a taxi driver lol.

I am looking to put stock suspension in the front and the VW springs in the rear to add carrying capacity. It is very easy for me to overload the Mirage with passengers and I need to be able to increase my load capacity for the suspenion from 800lbs to 1000lbs. The prius c has 835lb capacity

I was involved in a accident as well when a 2007 accord drove into me while turning, she dented my fender, cracked my mirror, scuffed the door, tweaked my alignment-waiting for insurance to contact me.

I'm at almost 25K miles after one year, with uber full time I expect to see 75K miles by next year if I continue at this rate, but I will likely start looking for a dedicated uber car and save my Mirage as a backup. A Used CVT ES would be the best uber car if you have the cash. For me I'm looking for a 4 cylinder automatic 2006/2007 (car has to be 10 years or newer in PA) for $1500, I might go for stick if its price right.

I just made the switch to Eneos Sustina and my engine sounds like it did in the summer after 30 seconds, ticking time was reduced a good amount, being sustina is the thinnest 0w20 you can buy it should not be a surprise.

Ride share insurance is not available in PA.

The way uber works is you log in and your covered by your insurance, if you get into a accident you can't tell them you were ubering because they will not cover you. If you accept a trip your fully covered by uber with 1,000 deductible if its your fault, the same coverage follows after you pick up passengers. Once they are dropped off and trip ended your covered by your insurance. Ride share insurance is only offered in 5 states I believe and mine is not one of them,your insurance provider may have some insight if you call and ask about doing uber, I never did and just don't admit to driving uber.

How much $? I average $9 a hour after expenses. Yes its not very good but its super easy work and most of the time I'm sitting around, plus I work when I want to and get to meet new people constantly. 65% of uber drivers are part time drivers, in some large cities and in cities with special events driving for uber can make the $9 a hour go out the window. I've made over $500 in 12 hours driving for uber. I've had local drivers make $1500 in 3 days, every 10 I figure 6 after expenses= $500= $300 take home NET, $25 hour NET after taxes,gas, upkeep, depreciation, phone, ect.

If you fall on hard times its good to be signed up with uber in advanced (Background check takes 3-10 days) if this is something you might want to do, PM me if want to sign up, I can set us both up with referral bonus $ as well as guide you through things. If your bored on Saturday nights and want to meet people and make $ uber is also good, but do not bank on uber as a full time, I do it because I enjoy it, not because it pays good full time lol.

I feel like I just did a sales pitch for uber lol its not great but it is fun and pays my bills as well as gives me time behind the wheel.

2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to alex16 For This Useful Post:

cyclopathic (12-10-2015),Daox (12-10-2015),davidricardo86 (12-09-2015),kerc (12-10-2015),mitsumi (12-09-2015)

Software Engineer
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    All those miles might put your car to the test! Let us know if you get any wear and tear, and where that might have occured. Would be nice to see how this little econobox takes being driven like a taxi at times!

On another note - Way back when before I started software, I use to work on a packaging floor, moving crap around for hours. Terrible work! Back breaking, constant, hard, and no one cares.

I left after I realized I was being treated like an indentured servant. Which you are to the monsters that own those businesses.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 51.7 mpg (US) ... 22.0 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 62.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I have put nearly 28k on mine since last December. I use it solely for pizza delivery. It has held up just fine! Not so much as a squeak or a rattle in it so far.

Been considering doing Uber in my 'down time'. I am a total night owl, so I think it might work out.

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    At 50 cents a mile depreciation, does uber earn you $9 an hour after that cost deduction. That deduction is a buck every two miles.

If so then 9 an hour is great. If not then you're trading much higher levels of wear and tear for barely more than minimum wage.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post
    At 50 cents a mile depreciation, does uber earn you $9 an hour after that cost deduction. That deduction is a buck every two miles.

If so then 9 an hour is great. If not then you're trading much higher levels of wear and tear for barely more than minimum wage.

regards
    mech
    Fifty cents per mile seems kind of steep. I have 28k on mine, and paid $14,000 for it. At a depreciation rate of $0.50 per mile, that would make my car worth....well, NOTHING! The resale on Mirages isn't great, but I don't think it's quite that bad.

Is $0.50 per mile some kind of standardized deduction for tax purposes or something? If so, then I am not sure it has any real basis when it comes to the actual depreciation of the car, especially since there are other factors at play (age, condition, etc).

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I have put nearly 28k on mine since last December. I use it solely for pizza delivery. It has held up just fine! Not so much as a squeak or a rattle in it so far.

Been considering doing Uber in my 'down time'. I am a total night owl, so I think it might work out.
    How is your MPG in delivery cycle?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post

regards
    mech
    This a good point but not across the board. Cars generally depreciate for 1st 150k then the value stays more or less constant, pretty much defined by how clean and how mechanically sound it is. For me 150k ~5 years, and we keep them 10, so the value is pretty much what you get on trade in or from salvation army.
    Last edited by cyclopathic; 12-10-2015 at 12:14 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey alex. I have the front VW springs just sitting around in my garage. Someone on here has posted that he put the front springs on the rear of the mirage and no complaints yet. Let me know if you want them. Only cost to you is shipping.

Also, I'm still really thinking about this. Houston is huge so I know there is market here. However, I also know a lot of people are already doing it here.

While I was in germany, the only TV station I can watch are CNN and BBC. There was a special on the CEO of UBER and they are apparently rolling out more uber products like delivery. So maybe you can do that too when people are not pinging you.

Thanks
    Pay me 50 cents a mile, I'm driving 60 mph, so that's $30 an hour. You DONT pay taxes on that.

If gas is 3.3 cents per mile, I spent $1.98 in gas, so now I'm down to $28.02 per hour. Still no taxes.

If you're paying me above that rate, at $9 an hour, I'm in.

But I doubt that is the case. Quibble about the true cost of driving that distance if you wish, but that is not the point when you are deducting based on miles traveled.

50 cents a mile and 9 and hour sounds great, but the 50 cents first, tax free.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    How is your MPG in delivery cycle?
    Varies a bit with the weather. But I am almost always between 45 and 51. Closer to the former in the winter and to the latter in the summer with the change in temperature, fuel composition, and electrical load.

The company I work for has a pretty large delivery area, so much of the driving is 'suburban'...cruising at 40ish mph. It's not the bumper-to-bumper urban slog that most people think of when someone mentions 'delivery driving'.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

cyclopathic (12-10-2015)