Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cost of ownership vs Yaris

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrelirwin View Post
    I don't know, I might tend to agree on the Yaris costing much less. I'm getting a little sick of buying $42 air filters from the dealership...on an economy car. It seems like there is very little aftermarket support for the Mirage. Spark plugs were difficult to find, could only find them in a 4 pack- $50 later. It seems like a car that nickle and dimes you to death.
    I bought a cabin filter on rockauto.

But as the one who started this thread, I agree there's not much aftermarket support compared to most other economy cars.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Ironically, the Mirage has outsold the Yaris every year since it was re-introduced to the U.S. in 2014.
    That's amazing. I never would've guessed that.

Imagine how many they would sell if gas prices go way up (which I expect).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Just curious why you're spending so much on an air filter?

https://www.rockauto.com/xx/cart/?ca...912846e386fe42

Price CAD$ including shipping to Edmonton

Plus if you use the coupon codes they are always posting on the forum you could get it even cheaper!!

Yeah.... there's this thing called "exchange", and with it I would be paying $38.89 best case scenario...and waiting 3-11 days. For the $3 extra I will bear the stealership.
    Last edited by Tyrelirwin; 06-08-2017 at 04:54 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    If you go to the dealer for everything. Yes. I just grab wix air filters #wa10125 they seem to be made just as good if not better than stock. I've tried a couple chepo off brand air filters cause that was all I could get in a hurry, I don't recommend them! Much lighter, flimsy and has far less surface area to capture dirt. They look like they be clogged in no time. The cabin air filters can get pricey, just pick up the cheapo ones if you change them often. Spark plugs only need to be changed til 168000k and you can buy them individually I always have them in stock at work when I need them. I'd replace them with the original iridium ones ngk 93298.
    Thanks for the good info Fummins- maybe next time I need parts I'll just come visit you! As for the plugs, I had trouble finding NGKs anywhere but online, and the 4 pack was much better deal than individual. Where do you shop for those and the Wix filters locally? As for the cabin filter, I just wash and dry it- doesn't seem to hurt it.

I put on 70,000 kms in the last year, so some of the 'occasional' maintenance items are really starting to price me out. CVT fluid is $30.40/L at the dealership- that's $150+ every 48,000 just for fluid.

And yes, I get that in the states you can just order everything from Rockauto, but up here we get killed on both shipping and the 35%+ exchange rate.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Yeah.... there's this thing called "exchange", and with it I would be paying $38.89 best case scenario...and waiting 3-11 days. For the $3 extra I will bear the stealership.
    That price WAS in Canadian Dollars. $28.29 including shipping. I'm not super good with math but it seems like that's less than $43 CAD. Since an air filter is a scheduled type maintenance waiting 3-11 days doesn't seem unreasonable but that's just me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-08-2017),MetroMPG (06-08-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the good info Fummins- maybe next time I need parts I'll just come visit you! As for the plugs, I had trouble finding NGKs anywhere but online, and the 4 pack was much better deal than individual. Where do you shop for those and the Wix filters locally? As for the cabin filter, I just wash and dry it- doesn't seem to hurt it.

I put on 70,000 kms in the last year, so some of the 'occasional' maintenance items are really starting to price me out. CVT fluid is $30.40/L at the dealership- that's $150+ every 48,000 just for fluid.

And yes, I get that in the states you can just order everything from Rockauto, but up here we get killed on both shipping and the 35%+ exchange rate.
    Do you have oil change businesses up there? I've had my transmission fluid replaced twice, I think it was around 80 US$ each time.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This car looks extremely easy to wrench on. Tons of room in engine bay and very basic underneath. Another reason I went with a 5spd is it's much simpler and easier and cheaper to maintain.

Attachment 9378 I don't know what retail cost is on this but it's compatible with the Mitsubishi J4 Fluid and I don't know why I'm posting this after your replies to innuvik's attempts to help you out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    That price WAS in Canadian Dollars. $28.29 including shipping. I'm not super good with math but it seems like that's less than $43 CAD. Since an air filter is a scheduled type maintenance waiting 3-11 days doesn't seem unreasonable but that's just me.
    My mistake, Inuvik, is now see it's in CAD. Sorry, but I've been burned before by ambiguous pricing and come to expect it online. That is a much more reasonable price, especially if they hold up as well as the oem ones. I see they also do a 2-8 day shipping for about $0.14 more.

Sorry, my response came off a little harsh- I've been in the situation where Americans genuinely don't realize our dollar is much weaker and that shipping rates to Canada are often exorbitant.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Attachment 9378 I don't know what retail cost is on this but it's compatible with the Mitsubishi J4 Fluid and I don't know why I'm posting this after your replies to innuvik's attempts to help you out.
    Fummins, I know you guys put crazy mileage on your Mirages, so I can assume the Klondike holds up as well as the J4 stuff in the Mitsu CVT. Thanks.

Where do you find the Wix filters?