Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Go baby go.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Do some light grinding and detail work once its dry, and good to go. The rest of the bricks go further out back on the property for another firepit to be built beside the gazebo.

Name:  20190720_182410.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  97.4 KB
    Name:  20190720_190320.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  98.1 KB
    Name:  20190721_092240.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  91.2 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nickels For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (07-21-2019),MetroMPG (07-24-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    I'm not discussing pure maths, I'm saying the Mirage suspension can NOT handle local roads with 400lb in the back seat, yet the Micra can with 500lb in the boot.

I care not which one has a higher payload or is more capable by the data sheet, simple fact is the Micra can hold a lot more before it starts slapping its upper components with its lower components.
    The payload capacity of any vehicle is on the label inside the driver's door. Your comments yesterday just made me look up the payload capacities of the two cars for curiosity sake. I have no doubt the Micra handles heavier loads with ease verses the Mirage. It would be silly to argue that!

The Micra appears to be a nice small car. If it does everything you want it to do, that's great! If you don't feel the Mirage can handle 400 pounds in back, you are entitled to that opinion. 400 pounds in back of a Mirage wouldn't concern me in the least. I am not saying the Micra wouldn't handle it much better. I appreciate your input on both cars regardless.

The Mirage does have its limitations. Payload capacity is not its strength, but it's not that horrible for a small economy car. I value its fuel economy. Most things (4WD compact diesel tractor, UTV, ATV, riding lawn mower, ton of wood pellets) I haul around aren't going to fit in either car.

I didn't realize a parallel small car universe (Micra & Mirage forums) existed until today. If Darin ever gives up on his Metro and buys a new car some day, I don't know how he's going to do that without offending someone? Maybe he'll have to be like you & own one of each!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    He will never not own a Metro.

That said, with the gross economy potential difference between a Mirage and a Micra, he will buy a Mirage for sure. You have to truly fight and struggle to make the Micra reach the Mirages normal driving numbers, and if you put that same effort into a Mirage, you are doing 65mpg easily.

Unless he likes peppy small cars. Because the Micra does have that going for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The payload capacity of any vehicle is on the label inside the driver's door. Your comments yesterday just made me look up the payload capacities of the two cars for curiosity sake. I have no doubt the Micra handles heavier loads with ease verses the Mirage. It would be silly to argue that!

The Micra appears to be a nice small car. If it does everything you want it to do, that's great! If you don't feel the Mirage can handle 400 pounds in back, you are entitled to that opinion. 400 pounds in back of a Mirage wouldn't concern me in the least. I am not saying the Micra wouldn't handle it much better. I appreciate your input on both cars regardless.

The Mirage does have its limitations. Payload capacity is not its strength, but it's not that horrible for a small economy car. I value its fuel economy. Most things (4WD compact diesel tractor, UTV, ATV, riding lawn mower, ton of wood pellets) I haul around aren't going to fit in either car.

I didn't realize a parallel small car universe (Micra & Mirage forums) existed until today. If Darin ever gives up on his Metro and buys a new car some day, I don't know how he's going to do that without offending someone? Maybe he'll have to be like you & own one of each!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Do some light grinding and detail work once its dry, and good to go. The rest of the bricks go further out back on the property for another firepit to be built beside the gazebo.

Name:  20190720_182410.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  97.4 KB
    Name:  20190720_190320.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  98.1 KB
    Name:  20190721_092240.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  91.2 KB
    Why do you have the bricks spaced so far apart requiring so much mortar between them?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Why do you have the bricks spaced so far apart requiring so much mortar between them?
    Going for a really sloppy look. Like, really sloppy. And believe it or not, the backside of the bricks just about touch.

This was a budget firepit. Ain't cutting angles or paying more than a buck a stone!

(Really though the wife wanted it like that and I couldn't care less, gotta be decent with mortar to set those though)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Going for a really sloppy look. Like, really sloppy. And believe it or not, the backside of the bricks just about touch.

This was a budget firepit. Ain't cutting angles or paying more than a buck a stone!

(Really though the wife wanted it like that and I couldn't care less, gotta be decent with mortar to set those though)
    Looks good, but the most easy budget fire pit is a used steelie tire rim.

The wider, grey bricks are almost reminiscent of medieval bricks of days yore. Go big or go home with bricks, bricks need mortar like cake needs sugar with flour. Otherwise your structure might be tipsy dude. Definitely not living up to the 100% of your material's potential! You paid your money. But your words Sloppy then means tipsy

I am going to Europe next spring, and high my list are the Castles of Ireland and Wales. I even ordered a guide book off abe books. Lots of Wales castles would be nice!

Buy a used disposable wheelbarrow and shovels for the concrete ,and mix that stuff yourself

Sorry I don't want to sound rude there at all.. just being honest. It looks fine but the cake needs the icing finishing touches make every project, finishing jobs finish anything. An A+ reno or a B+ reno
    Last edited by dspace9; 07-21-2019 at 11:56 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Looks good, but the most easy budget fire pit is a used steelie tire rim.

The wider, grey bricks are almost reminiscent of medieval bricks of days yore. Go big or go home with bricks, bricks need mortar like cake needs sugar with flour. Otherwise your structure might be tipsy dude. Definitely not living up to the 100% of your material's potential! You paid your money. But your words Sloppy then means tipsy

I am going to Europe next spring, and high my list are the Castles of Ireland and Wales. I even ordered a guide book off abe books. Lots of Wales castles would be nice!

Buy a used disposable wheelbarrow and shovels for the concrete ,and mix that stuff yourself

Sorry I don't want to sound rude there at all.. just being honest. It looks fine but the cake needs the icing finishing touches make every project, finishing jobs finish anything. An A+ reno or a B+ reno
    It's just a fire pit, not a foundation to a home or castle. Heck, I would just stack the bricks and hope for the best!

Plus, his wife came up with the specs for it. Happy wife = happy life!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Actually, this is the correct way to make a fire pit. If he didn't leave the space between the bottom row of bricks, no air would get in & your fire would only smolder & smoke. ...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

inuvik (07-22-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    Actually, this is the correct way to make a fire pit. If he didn't leave the space between the bottom row of bricks, no air would get in & your fire would only smolder & smoke. ...
    I could have added a brick for the top three rows, or cut the bottom row for air. Too much work.

There's a ****load of mortar on the back and in the joints. Trust me, she ain't movin. Mortared to the gravel as well to prevent any shifting.

But, it's a fire pit. It looks old and weathered, which is what the wife wanted. If it falls apart (doubt it), I'll redo it. It's a firepit, not a tower base or the like.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Also, I used a full 80lb bag. Just, for reference. Not that it held that well to cheap paving stones anyway Haha.