Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video & details: Mirage crash test - top 5-star rating by ANCAP

Video & details: Mirage crash test - top 5-star rating by ANCAP

The new Mirage has scored a 5-star rating, with an overall score of 34.07 (out of 37).

Interestingly, this lines up with the result Mitsu officials said they had predicted in computer testing.

ANCAP = Australasian New Car Assessment Program.

Frontal offset test at 64 km/h (40 mph)

The Mirage - which has returned to the Mitsubishi fleet after around a decade out of the market - achieved a 5 star ANCAP safety rating with solid results across all safety tests. The Mirage provides a safe choice for consumers looking for a low cost new car.
    Source: http://www.ancap.com.au/crashtestrecord?Id=510

The information below is from the PDF of the Mirage report, available at: http://www.ancap.com.au/pdf/510.PDF

Test Variant: Mitsubishi Mirage
    Variant Applicability*: All variants
    Kerb Mass: 900 kg
    Vehicles Built: 2013
    Engine: 1.2 litre petrol
    Category: Small Car

Summary:

Airbags: ESC Frontal Offset Side Impact Pole Whiplash Pedestrian Seat Belt Reminders Overall
    Score
    ANCAP
    Safety Rating
    Front + side + head Standard 14.07
    (out of 16)
    (out of 16)
    (out of 2)
    GOOD ACCEPTABLE 2
    (out of 3)
    34.07 (out of 37) *****
    (5 stars out of 5)

The tested model of Mitsubishi Mirage was introduced in Australia and New Zealand in 2013. This ANCAP safety rating applies to all variants.

Dual front airbags, side airbags and head-protecting side curtains are standard equipment. Antilock brakes (ABS), electronic brake distribution (EBD), emergency brake assist (EBA) and electronic stability control (ESC) are also standard. Advanced seat belt reminders are fitted to both front seats.

There was a slight risk of serious chest injury for the driver and passenger in the offset test and a slight risk of serious leg injury for the driver. All injury values were good in the side impact and pole tests.

SAFETY FEATURES:

Safety Assist Technology (SAT) Availability
    Front airbag - driver S
    Front airbag - passenger S
    Side airbags (chest protection) - front seats S
    Side airbags (head protection) - front seats S
    Side airbags (head protection) - 2nd row seats S
    Knee airbag - driver X
    Three-point seat belts for all forward facing seats S
    Seat belt pretensioners (front / rear outboard) S / X
    Intelligent seat belt reminder - driver S
    Intelligent seat belt reminder - front passenger S
    Intelligent seat belt reminder - 2nd row seats X
    Head restraints for all seats S
    Antilock brakes (ABS) S
    Electronic brake distribution (EBD) S
    Emergency brake assist (EBA) S
    Electronic stability control (ESC) S
    Adaptive cruise control (ACC) X
    Autonomous emergency braking (AEB) X
    Lane support system X
    Hill launch assist V
    Automatic headlights V
    Electronic data recorder (EDR) S
    S = Standard on all variants.
    O = Optional on base variant. May be standard on higher variants.
    V = Not available on base variant but standard or optional on higher variants.
    X = Not available on any variant.

OCCUPANT PROTECTION

Frontal Offset Test.

Each body region is scored out of 4 points

Head / neck: 4.00 points
    Chest: 3.36 points
    Upper legs: 4.00 points
    Lower legs: 2.71 points

The passenger compartment held its shape well in the offset test. Pedal and steering wheel displacements were well controlled. Driver and passenger contact with the airbags was stable. There were no knee hazards. All doors remained closed during the crash. After the crash all doors could be opened with normal effort.

Side Impact Test.

Each body region is scored out of 4 points

Head: 4.00 points
    Chest: 4.00 points
    Abdomen: 4.00 points
    Pelvis: 4.00 points

All injury measurements were good in the side impact crash test.

Pole Test.

Scored out of 2 points

The vehicle was eligible for a side pole test because it has side curtain airbags. The vehicle scored the maximum 2 points for head protection in this test.

Whiplash Protection Test.

Whiplash protection is assessed to the RCAR Protocol
    Geometric test: GOOD
    Dynamic test: GOOD

PEDESTRIAN PROTECTION

Pedestrian Test.

Scored out of 36 points

Child head impacts: 11.20 points
    Adult head impacts: 7.65 points
    Upper leg impacts: 0.00 points
    Lower leg impacts: 6.00 points

The Mirage performed well for most of the head areas. Full points were obtained for the full leg on the bumper. A good result could have been obtained for the upper leg with some extra attention to the design of the bonnet leading edge.

----

For full details (INJURY MEASUREMENTS, INTRUSION MEASUREMENTS, SCORE DEDUCTIONS) and additional graphics, see the PDF of the Mirage test at the ANCAP site: http://www.ancap.com.au/pdf/510.PDF

=====

See also:

-Thread: Mirage / Space Star: 4/5 stars on EURO NCAP - crash test result/video

-Thread: US: 2014 Mirage IIHS crash test results (videos, pictures)

Attached Images Attached Images  

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-06-2016)

Also: I wonder if this is the first official crash testing we've seen for the car.

There might be Japanese results too (since the car's been on sale there since August '12), but there's that pesky language barrier making it difficult to find out. As far as I can tell from the Google translated Japanese language site for the car, there's no mention of crash testing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Just to show you how far we've come with car safety (all brands, not just Mitsu) ...

Here is the 1996 Mitsubishi Mirage Hatchback ANCAP Frontal Offset test:

According to the video, "The Used Car Rating guide gave it a one star rating *."

ANCAP should be releasing a video of the new Mirage test. Hoping to post that too.

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Thats a very good result for a small car to get a 5 star rating. As i had mentioned in one of my post i was told by a Mitsu dealer here in Oz a few weeks ago they said they had recieved a 5 star safety rating.Or maybe they were just going off there own prediction that you mentioned Metro. And great that it has now been published.
    Thanks Metro for the update

I would much prefer to have a crash in the new Mirage then the old one if i had to have a cash that is.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Agreed, we certainly have come a long way in crash safety over the years. IMO safety shouldn't even really be an issue when purchasing a car these days, big or small they are all pretty darn safe. You the driver have by and far the biggest impact on safety.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

YouTube video of the crash tests added to post #1. What a difference compared to the older car. Holy smoke!

Read this interesting safety-related tidbit from the recent launch of the N.Z. car.

Apparently Mitsu wasn't quite expecting to score the top ANCAP rating:

Since the car is in receipt of a maximum five-star NCAP crash test result – admittedly something of a surprise to MMNZ, which feared a four star score simply because of the lack a knee airbag - it is obviously quite tough. (Source)

ANCAP posted another Mirage crash test video:

Published on Feb 19, 2013
    ANCAP CRASH TEST (side impact test): Mitsubishi Mirage (from 2013) - maximum 5 star ANCAP safety rating.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Also: I wonder if this is the first official crash testing we've seen for the car.

There might be Japanese results too (since the car's been on sale there since August '12), but there's that pesky language barrier making it difficult to find out. As far as I can tell from the Google translated Japanese language site for the car, there's no mention of crash testing.
    You just have to look on the JNCAP/NASVA site. Results are quite good with a four of five star rating:
    Mitsubishi Mirage M
    The Mirage/Space Star is sold all over the world, therefore it has to fulfill all different testing methods. Especially european cars like the Mini and the Fiat 500 fail in the full-wrap frontal collision test.

Mitsubishi Space Star 1.2:
    Daihatsu Cuore L251:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Space Star Klassik Kollektion+ 1.2 manual: 67.5 mpg (US) ... 28.7 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 81.0 mpg (Imp)