Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: oil filter torque spec

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    Thanks for calling me a gorilla
    Did you honestly take off the original Mirage oil filter with your bare hand? If so, you are not someone I would mess with!

P.S. - I love gorillas. They are awesome creatures!

The factory oil filter was on my Mirage so tight, the square part of the ratchet would spin within the plastic oil filter socket. It took a lot of torque with a good metal socket to get the original one off.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Did you honestly take off the original Mirage oil filter with your bare hand? If so, you are not someone I would mess with!

P.S. - I love gorillas. They are awesome creatures!

The factory oil filter was on my Mirage so tight, the square part of the ratchet would spin within the plastic oil filter socket. It took a lot of torque with a good metal socket to get the original one off.
    Yah, my factory oil filter was on so tight I literally destroyed it removing it. Ridiculous to say the least.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I use a longer filter in my Mirage and have no issues getting the filter replaced from the top. It's a tight squeeze but no rubbing issues on any hoses.

Attachment 20762

Attachment 20761
    My Purolator ONE oil filters are longer than the factory oil filter. Regardless of length, I don't think I can get a good grip with my bare hand & crank on on it. I've been changing oil since the 1970's. I have an assortment (small box full) of oil filter sockets. I use them on everything including my John Deere riding lawnmower, Kawasaki Mule, & even my log splitter has an oil filter that I am planning to replace soon. I guess I like my filters a little more snug than just a hand crank, but I would never over do it.

I have seen a quick lube place over crank an oil filter. They stripped the threads on it, and it fell off a day later. It destroyed a brand new Chevy S10 Blazer engine (first oil change). The quick lube place (insurance claim for them) had to replace the engine.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    All good advice. The only thing I can add is to make sure the old oil filter "O" ring is NOT stuck to the engine & wipe the sealing surface of the engine clean before you install the new filter...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

Mark (03-08-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    All good advice. The only thing I can add is to make sure the old oil filter "O" ring is NOT stuck to the engine & wipe the sealing surface of the engine clean before you install the new filter...
    Great point! That's an easy check by just looking at the oil filter you take off. You don't want to double gasket a new oil filter.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Great point! That's an easy check by just looking at the oil filter you take off. You don't want to double gasket a new oil filter.
    Is this like masks? 5 gaskets should be 500% as good.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirageman38 For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (03-27-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    Is this like masks? 5 gaskets should be 500% as good.
    You're on a roll today!

If wearing 5 masks suffocates you, I guess you don't need to worry about COVID doing you in at least!

Now, I have an image of a gorilla wearing 5 masks stuck in my brain, too!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    ive watched some youtube videos on the topic while waiting for my oil to come in the mail. Ive never seen someone clean the mating surface on the engine before installing the new filter?

Also i was wondering why people always drain and fill the oil before changing the filter?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    ive watched some youtube videos on the topic while waiting for my oil to come in the mail. Ive never seen someone clean the mating surface on the engine before installing the new filter?

Also i was wondering why people always drain and fill the oil before changing the filter?
    Trust me, after being a licensed mechanic for ~25 years on cars & transport trucks & trailers, you should at least make sure there is nothing on the sealing surface of the engine. Be careful of some of the stuff you see on youtube. people have different sequences of doing stuff, & it may just be their own preference. I drain the oil, change the filter, let oil continue to drain for ~ 1 more beer, replace drain plug, fill oil, start & run & check for leaks, turn car off & let sit for 1 more beer then check & top off if necessary, but that's just me, others may have a different ritual
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-09-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I will start using a filter with a grippy surface going forward. Either a FRAM or some of the purolator models. OR I will cut an inch or so from the box and coat the tops of the filter with an undercoating or other rough coating. I'll buy a few at a time and have them ready when I need them. This should make changing from top that much easier. My first oil change with the factory filter was from underneath (car was on a rack) I had to use filter pliers and it was very tight. The second change was from up top and after draining down the factory trough I rotated the filter hole upwards to reduce any spillage.