Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do you think Mirage's CVT has less reported failures than Nissan's?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Question Why do you think Mirage's CVT has less reported failures than Nissan's?

Hi,

I'm just wondering why y'all think there are more reported cases of CVT failures in Nissan vehicles vs Mirage since they use the same manufacturer. Do you think it's because the Mirage is lighter and has less power so the transmission doesn't get worn out as much, or does Mitsubishi build their vehicles differently than Nissan, or is it because there are more Nissan owners which increase the numbers of reported cases?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newtomit View Post
    Hi,

I'm just wondering why y'all think there are more reported cases of CVT failures in Nissan vehicles vs Mirage since they use the same manufacturer. Do you think it's because the Mirage is lighter and has less power so the transmission doesn't get worn out as much, or does Mitsubishi build their vehicles differently than Nissan, or is it because there are more Nissan owners which increase the numbers of reported cases?
    Did you ever get new tires?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    The consensus here, as far as I know, is that the CVT in the Mirage just isn't working as hard since the car is so light and only has 78 horsepower.

The Jatco CVT7 is rated for about 150 horsepower, I believe.

The "lighter load = less wear" argument makes sense.

But if we're just going on anecdotal owner complaints (eg. on forums), the apparent difference could be a sampling issue.

Nissan has sold FAR more CVT's than Mitsubishi, so even if the failure rate were the same, it'd be easy to get the mistaken impression that there are more Nissan CVT problems than Mitsu CVT problems.

Look at Versa (uses the CVT7) sales vs. Mirage in the U.S.

2014 ... 139,781 vs. 16708
    2015 ... 144,528 vs. 21515
    2016 ... 132,214 vs. 22226
    2017 ... 106,772 vs. 22386
    2018 ... 75,809 vs. 24316
    2019 ... 66,596 vs. 26966

Totals ... 665,700 vs. 134,117

The only way we can know for sure is if the companies release stats on warranty work/replacements.

Anybody want to ask them? I have one guess what they'll say.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (07-24-2020)

PS: newtomit ... make a garage page for your car!
    Garage empty: add car

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    When I had my CVT serviced at Aamco, new fluid/filter, I pulled the shop owner aside and wanted his opinion on our theory of less torque = more reliability. He was non-committal in his response since he didnt deal with Mitsubishis all that often, but I got the feeling he didnt think our theory was valid.

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Could be just how they tuned the car? I always here RX8 guys saying at stock an RX8 is unreliable but you can make it more reliable with a proper tune and changing some parts.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Did you ever get new tires?
    Update is coming, I swear

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    When I had my CVT serviced at Aamco, new fluid/filter, I pulled the shop owner aside and wanted his opinion on our theory of less torque = more reliability. He was non-committal in his response since he didnt deal with Mitsubishis all that often, but I got the feeling he didnt think our theory was valid.
    I took my car to Aamco for fluid change and asked the same thing. He did not confirm or deny it, but he did emphasize that it's a good thing the car has lighter weight. I guess I'm just having anxiety about transmission failure...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newtomit View Post
    I took my car to Aamco for fluid change and asked the same thing. He did not confirm or deny it, but he did emphasize that it's a good thing the car has lighter weight. I guess I'm just having anxiety about transmission failure...
    Dirk & you should form a support group for CVT owners.

Mechanical things break. It comes with owning things. Take good care of what you own & hope for the best. Worrying about it doesn't change anything.

On a more positive note, you own a 2015 Mirage which has a CVT shared with all the rest, except the early 2014 models. Finding a used, affordable replacement will be easier. I wouldn't sweat it!