Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: brake caliper - need some suggestions

Country
    United States
    Thanks

brake caliper - need some suggestions

I just got home from a repair shop where the mechanic told me that I need to replace the caliper because it is already bad...it sticks and eats up my brake pads...I called everywhere just to inquire where I can get a replacement caliper or a repair kit but there's no place that keep it in stock...I just hate the fact that there is no place where you can get vital parts easily for repair and you have to order it online and wait a few days to get and waste time...before I order anything online, I just want to get an advise what are my options in regards of upgrading caliper or should I just get a repair kit for it?...I just hate the fact that there is not enough love from the general population for this car that's why most auto shop dont carry parts for this car..

edit: i found a good deal for rotors just in case anyone is looking for a replacement

Name:  Screenshot_20200611-110907.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  97.6 KB

Last edited by flip096; 06-11-2020 at 06:11 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Brake Performance is in Chatsworth. According to their website, they have caliper rebuild kits. You might give them a call and see if they can help you out. I'm not sure if they only do online sales.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

flip096 (06-11-2020),MetroMPG (06-17-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Brake Performance is in Chatsworth. According to their website, they have caliper rebuild kits. You might give them a call and see if they can help you out. I'm not sure if they only do online sales.
    I'll give them a call..thanks!!

That's a first. There's a chance the slide pins that the caliper rides on are sticking? That'd be a cheap fast easy fix...Might be worth looking at it yourself if you know how to pull a wheel off and have a 14mm(9/16") wrench.
    If you do indeed need a caliper hit up car-part.com all years should fit from 2014-2017 and likely newer ones as well.

Turbo city dismantlers shows a set on a 2015 http://turbocitydismantlers.com/

They're in elll ehhh. Eh
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Loren (06-11-2020),MetroMPG (06-17-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I second checking the slides. My wifes car had an issues with things sticking. Took the break caliper and break off the car. The slides had no grease in them at all. Cleaned with some break cleaner added new grease and the car stops great now. After new pad of course. I don't trust most mechanics as far as I can toss em.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Griff151 For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (02-14-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    That's a first. There's a chance the slide pins that the caliper rides on are sticking? That'd be a cheap fast easy fix...Might be worth looking at it yourself if you know how to pull a wheel off and have a 14mm(9/16") wrench.
    If you do indeed need a caliper hit up car-part.com all years should fit from 2014-2017 and likely newer ones as well.

Turbo city dismantlers shows a set on a 2015 http://turbocitydismantlers.com/

They're in elll ehhh. Eh
    it's not the pin... rubber from the piston is inside out and kinda melted causing it to stick and warped the rotor and totally grinded the brake pads totally..
    Last edited by flip096; 06-11-2020 at 07:06 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flip096 View Post
    it's not the pin... rubber from the piston is inside out and kinda melted causing it stick an warped the rotors and totally grinded the brake pads totally..
    Wonder if your pad got stuck in the bracket. Had that happen once made a nice smoke show.

Quote Originally Posted by Griff151 View Post
    I don't trust most mechanics as far as I can toss em.
    I'M OFFENDED!
    Attachment 18262
    Quote Originally Posted by flip096 View Post
    it's not the pin... rubber from the piston is inside out and kinda melted causing it stick an warped the rotors and totally grinded the brake pads totally..
    I gotcha! Sounds like a good time.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'M OFFENDED!
    Attachment 18262
    I'm offended your offended

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'M OFFENDED!