Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric Car Rant

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Electric Car Rant

In all the years of having electric cars they still have not found a good solution to the charging problem. People keep pushing these electric car sales for the environment and yet for a good chunk of the population they are completely unusable and inaccessible.

Everyone seems to forget most people in a city live in an apartment. None of these apartments (only the luxury ones) have electric vehicle chargers. Most peoples jobs don't have chargers. Most city streets don't have chargers. Even when your apartment/job/town does you have to fight for the same 4 electric charger spots with everyone else. This makes fueling your car a game of musical chairs every time.

For people who live in rural areas there are just no electric vehicle chargers besides your house. This makes going 100-200+ miles impossible. Depending on if you shell $5000-10000 out for the long range version I suppose you might get a few extra miles.

Road trips are still impossible even with the Tesla Superchargers. Takes way too long to charge. Every time I go to Wawa there is 6 electric chargers and I see 5 people waiting next to their Teslas board to tears with nothing to do.

If you are making six figures and living out in the suburbs sure a model S might work amazing for you. Too bad for everyone else. Honestly I am not sure why they stopped working on the electric car standard battery that could be changed out at service stations. That was the most promising idea but I guess they don't want to do that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirageman38 For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (10-19-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    If you are making six figures and living out in the suburbs sure a model S might work amazing for you. Too bad for everyone else.
    What you're saying is true, but things are changing fast, at least in Canada. I could fill up from Windsor to Quebec City electrically, by stopping at all the old PETRO Canada gas stations ("Pierre Elliot Trudeau Rips off Canada") now retrofitted with electric charging stations.

Secondly, in my own small small rural town, there is 1 electric car charging station. Nobody is ever using it lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    If manufacturers could ever come out with a sub-$20k EV with a 150 mile single-charge range, I'd buy one in a second. But I simply can't spend 1-2 hours 'refueling' an EV when I can refuel my Mirage in under three minutes.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    In all the years of having electric cars they still have not found a good solution to the charging problem. People keep pushing these electric car sales for the environment and yet for a good chunk of the population they are completely unusable and inaccessible.

Everyone seems to forget most people in a city live in an apartment. None of these apartments (only the luxury ones) have electric vehicle chargers. Most peoples jobs don't have chargers. Most city streets don't have chargers. Even when your apartment/job/town does you have to fight for the same 4 electric charger spots with everyone else. This makes fueling your car a game of musical chairs every time.

For people who live in rural areas there are just no electric vehicle chargers besides your house. This makes going 100-200+ miles impossible. Depending on if you shell $5000-10000 out for the long range version I suppose you might get a few extra miles.

Road trips are still impossible even with the Tesla Superchargers. Takes way too long to charge. Every time I go to Wawa there is 6 electric chargers and I see 5 people waiting next to their Teslas board to tears with nothing to do.

If you are making six figures and living out in the suburbs sure a model S might work amazing for you. Too bad for everyone else. Honestly I am not sure why they stopped working on the electric car standard battery that could be changed out at service stations. That was the most promising idea but I guess they don't want to do that.
    It's an economy of scale figure - the more electric vehicles there are, the more infrastructure will be built to support them. That's how markets work, right? Currently, the market for EVs is small, so there's only so much money to be made. What's the alternative - government mandates? Then we'll hear all the Whiners Bellyaching about government oversight, and that's tiresome enough.

If you want an EV, the options are better than ever and nobody is stopping you from getting one. Contribute to building the market rather than complaining about it. The glass is half full and getting fuller.

If an EV won't work for you, don't get one.

P.S.: We live in a time of incredible technological achievement, and I'm glad to have the things we enjoy.
    Last edited by Eggman; 10-19-2019 at 12:32 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Daox (10-22-2019),Fummins (10-21-2019),poorman1 (10-20-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    There are several problems with this. First even with more electric chargers via more sales it will still take hours to charge. Or the fact if a few more people bought electric cars the existing infrastructure would be swamped. Or that it would take years for cities to roll out more infrastructure even if people decided they wanted ev.

I think most people have an expectation they should work pretty well before buying one. Whe you live in a city like me you cant have 2+ cars and many people only have 1 or none. This is why I think battery packs would solve most of these problems. In my current situation there is no way I could make an EV work as the technology currently stands and I think this is true for a large percent of the population. You cant just tell us to bug off because it doesnt work for us.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    There are several problems with this. First even with more electric chargers via more sales it will still take hours to charge..
    I think for all of us on the Forum, waiting 2 hours to charge an EV is not a luxury any of us have. That said, who knows what the next 10 years will bring? Look at the Rivian e-truck, built in the USA.

Maybe there is something else, we can't even imagine, that will be invented?

It's not like people in 500 BC could fathom a horseless carriage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    If manufacturers could ever come out with a sub-$20k EV with a 150 mile single-charge range, I'd buy one in a second. But I simply can't spend 1-2 hours 'refueling' an EV when I can refuel my Mirage in under three minutes.
    Sub $20k I can't offer you. But how about a €25500 electric car with an 250km range, equipped with panels which can charge up to 34km/day, when parked in the sun?

Name:  Sono.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  46.7 KB

The Sono Sion. Sorry about the color. It's only in black. But it's mainly covered with panels, so another color would be hard.
    Last edited by Space Wolf; 10-19-2019 at 02:53 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Space Wolf For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (10-19-2019),poorman1 (10-20-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Mass produced cars were introduced at the turn of the 20th century. The interstates didn't appear until nearly 50 or so years later.

Car sales still flourished even without the interstate system. EV sales will continue to grow in the same fashion until one day cars will charge in 3 minutes with charging stations as common as gas stations.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Daox (10-22-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    True Wallytacker and Spacewolf. That is some futuristic car there Spacewolf. It's like a solar-powered outdoor light, but a car. I never even thought of that ever. That's pretty amazing technology there.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    How about a used Mitsubishi?!? I'd have to do some research into battery life, etc...but these look interesting if you just need to putt around locally for groceries...

Name:  imiev.jpg
Views: 900
Size:  79.1 KB

These are at CarMax. You can bet your azz that CarMax paid 30% less than these selling prices when they purchased these things. That's puts a used (private seller) i-Miev in the $6,000 range.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)