Page 110 of 210 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112120160 ... LastLast
Results 1,091 to 1,100 of 2095

Thread: Cheap used Mirages you've seen for sale?

You could be my strawman, Wally! If you're gonna be in the neighbourhood anyway.

I'm not afraid of bodywork.

I wonder what they have in the car as a trade...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

negotiating tips?

So, I've been talking to the Toronto dealership about that Mirage and am planning to go look at it on Thursday if they don't sell it before then.

I hate negotiating with dealerships - any advice?

I actually think the asking price is fairly reasonable for what it is (high kms, minor body damage, manual trans -- all negative selling points to a dealer).

It's maybe a little bit high - there was that green, base 2014 with HALF the kilometers in Ottawa in the spring asking only $100 more than this one. (Also had minor body damage.)

Nobody wants to pay asking price, right???

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Drive it, get a sense of its condition.

Make your offer later by phone or email.

You're in no hurry.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-12-2019)

I hate negotiating with anyone. If something looks like it's priced well I'll offer a little less or ask what's the lowest they'll go and give it to them. That won't work with dealers though....Could try to offer asking price all in. $2600 including tax,dealer fees, and whatever other bs fee's they try to tack on last minute. I did that once to a small private car dealer and he we were both happy.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-12-2019)

^ Eggman, If it were a local car, that's what I'd do.

But this is a 7.5 hour round trip away, just driving time - so each trip basically eats up a day. I really don't want to make multiple trips.

I'd like to agree on a price in principle ahead of time, conditional on a road test with no nasty surprises. I know it's cosmetically poor, has body damage, and might need things like brakes & tires.

The only potential deal-killer might be the starter/flywheel -- I'm planning to stop/start the engine a few dozen times. Also I'll torture test the clutch to see if it slips at all.

Fummins, that's good advice too. If there are no gotchas, the price is already pretty reasonable.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    The greater the cost, the greater the risk.

There's limitations to negotiating sight unseen.

Whatever I'm selling, I know I don't care to have someone make an offer without at least seeing it first. But that's just me.
    Last edited by Eggman; 11-12-2019 at 03:31 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    The greater the cost, the greater the risk.

There's limitations to negotiating sight unseen.

Whatever I'm selling, I know I don't care to have someone make an offer without at least seeing it first. But that's just me.
    It's an odd way to do business, but not a rare, it happens quite often, I've read. It's how I bought my 1st Mirage, over the telephone. It was a brand new car so the chance of anything being defective was pretty small. I bought my 52' ketch sight unseen. It was such a good value I had to call dibs before someone else snagged it.

I had a lot of interest in this Mirage but extreme courtesy was shown to me when I was after the '14 Mirage outside of London, so I want to reciprocate that courtesy. Will I take a stab at it if my friend decides to pass on it? I don't know. My driveway is adequate. The neighbors might think a Mits dealership is opening up in the our suburb. LOL.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-12-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Fummins, that's good advice too. If there are no gotchas, the price is already pretty reasonable.
    I would ask them their OTD price before making the drive. Add on charges may be a deal breaker. More of a new car issue, but I would ask for a used car, too.

You are negotiating before they get you there. Once there, they know they have you there. Negotiate on line. Make them draw you in even though you may want the car.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I just remembered I bought a Saturn Vue sight unseen. Green. I didn't know at the time it was a hybrid. I made a deposit with my CC. showed up to complete the deal only to find there were TWO other parties that wanted to buy the Vue. I asked them write their bid down and hand it to me, the best bid gets the Vue. I had planned to keep and drive it but.....hey, I like money.

I'm looking for a reason to be in that area before you go, an low ball them, prime them for you, so to speak, but with the weather and other things in my life it's doubtful. Sorry.

I have an offer on alloy rims, I made a thread about it, so if buddy accepts the rims are close enough for me to swing by the dealership.

Last edited by Wallythacker; 11-12-2019 at 08:44 PM.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)