Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Jalopnik - The Case for the Mitsubishi Mirage

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    We're all witness to the small car mass die-off of 2020 for sure. I hope Mitsubishi doesn't kill the Mirage for '21. I think we should know next week.

For me, the most surprsing "kill" was the Yaris as Toyota has always had a subcompact in the lineup, even when hardly anyone else did.

Anyhow, anytime I see any article whatsoever about the Mirage, you can expect a littany of negativity in the comments section. I don't even look at them anymore.

I know the Mirage strong points, the reason I bought one, and so on. That's all that matters to me.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Subcompact Culture For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-17-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    We're all witness to the small car mass die-off of 2020 for sure. I hope Mitsubishi doesn't kill the Mirage for '21. I think we should know next week.

For me, the most surprsing "kill" was the Yaris as Toyota has always had a subcompact in the lineup, even when hardly anyone else did.

Anyhow, anytime I see any article whatsoever about the Mirage, you can expect a littany of negativity in the comments section. I don't even look at them anymore.

I know the Mirage strong points, the reason I bought one, and so on. That's all that matters to me.
    I've been checking my local dealer for the 2021s... The press release back at the Montreal Auto Show said they'd start arriving mid-late summer? Not sure if that included the US or not though.

https://www.wheels.ca/news/updated-2...agging-rights/

Yeah, i've given up on reading the comment section on anything regarding the Mirage.
    Last edited by javensbukan; 07-17-2020 at 05:37 PM.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I lost faith in safety ratings. My parents were hit in a top safety rated (at the time) CX5. Person in Toyota Corolla blew a stop sign went into the drivers fender , front wheel, and drivers door. My parents have have life long medical complications from the accident. Luckily an officer was behind them. Another family member had a base late 90s hyundai accent with no safety features except 2 air bags that was hit on all 4 sides due to a major highway accident he was stopped in highway rush hour line of traffic he walked away with 1 bruise from the seatbelt tightener and 1 finger splint as it over extended. If I recall like a mix of 30 vehicles was involved. It was a chain reaction that started when a dump truck and trailer jackniffed during a sudden t-storm.

Go to erepairibles and view both mirages and g4s they do well.

Use to help my dad at accident scenes logic makes you think bigger is better I can tell you its not the case...

Even my parents feel safe in the mirage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,710 Times in 2,121 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post

I think the bigger issue is that Mitsubishi may be the scapegoat for Nissan's poor performance in North America. The Renault/Nissan/Mitsubishi Alliance may be the downfall of Mitsubishi in North America. I hope that is not the case, but the talk of Mitsubishi's future here really shifted from 2019 to 2020.

Sewers always suck down! They never pull anyone up. Mitsubishi joined a sewer.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Japanese government would bail out Nissan IMO. There just too big apart of their economy.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Japanese government would bail out Nissan IMO. There just too big apart of their economy.
    Nissan is not going anywhere. We are stuck with them. It's not clear that the same can be said of Mitsubishi.

The Alliance has lacked good leadership for quite some time, & it has caught up with them. Mitsubishi in North America may be the casualty of all this. I hope that is not the case, however.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by javensbukan View Post
    Yeah same here Re: The Fit.

At the time I bought my Mirage, The cheapest Fit I could find that didn't have insane Kms were almost $18-20000 CAD (somehow!?).

Meanwhile, the Mirage I ended up with cost $10900 CAD.

The Magic seats on the Fit are pretty neat stuff.
    If the Mirage was marketed better, it would be a more popular car in the States. The MSRP/destination charge of a 130 hp Honda Fit CVT is only $1,501 more than the MSRP/destination charge of a 78 hp Mitsubishi Mirage CVT.

The point that gets missed by some car critics & general public is the huge discounts offered on a Mirage.

I paid less than 66% of window sticker (MSRP, destination charge, & any added options) for a new Mirage in 2017. I feel that I could easily do the same today. It's no longer comparing apples-to-apples ($10,000-11,000 Mirage to a $16,000-17,000 Fit).

The Mirage is affordable, reliable, & economical. The affordable part can be easily overlooked. I blame that on Mitsubishi & their network of dealerships. Without the huge discounts, the Honda Fit looks like the better value. Take $5,000 off the price of a Mirage, & that changes things.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by javensbukan View Post
    That being said, these tests don't really mean that much anyway when you get by a much higher, heavier truck, either way it's going to be bad.
    A car is only as safe, as it is properly maintained. So even if size basically matters in case of a crash, the Mirage is the loser, but lots of trucks I see look like you could touch through the rust, especially at the rear ends of old Dodge Rams and Dakotas. So they aren't any safer than your Mirage, but any light weight car has a size disadvantage on the roads, so the idea is to fear not, and be proactive and drive alert all the time. Drive almost like "aggressive" for lack of better term. Know what's going on with other drivers all the time.

And as Fummins again I believe said, consider every other driver a dummy who doesn't see you. The Mirage isn't that invisible. I find people usually see me coming, and mine is that common dark pewter grey colour that doesn't show up. Still keep in mind what is going on with other drivers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)