Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Too much oil?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Too much oil?

Hi all. I just had my oil changed for the first time. My mechanic said it took 4 quarts.... Despite the car manuel saying it takes 3. Both of us checked the dipstick and it reads good. Is this wrong? Cars running fine. Thanks!

Odd. At work I fill from a big measuring cup and usually dump in a little over 3L. From what I just googled Mitsu specs are 3.2qt. When are you checking the level, right after shutting it off or are you waiting 5-10mins for most of the oil to drain back into the pan giving a more accurate measurement? If it's noticably overfull on the stick or looks foamy I'd drain a little out otherwise if it says it's fine on the dipstick I wouldn't worry about it, other than wonder if how this happened? Did you use 1qt jugs that weren't actually a full qt?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (01-07-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Odd. At work I fill from a big measuring cup and usually dump in a little over 3L. From what I just googled Mitsu specs are 3.2qt. When are you checking the level, right after shutting it off or are you waiting 5-10mins for most of the oil to drain back into the pan giving a more accurate measurement? If it's noticably overfull on the stick or looks foamy I'd drain a little out otherwise if it says it's fine on the dipstick I wouldn't worry about it, other than wonder if how this happened? Did you use 1qt jugs that weren't actually a full qt?
    Waiting for the car to cool off to check it again, but it did look good when I was at the shop. I'll chime in again in around 20 minutes.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It definitely does not take 4. Did your mechanic find a bigger filter I wonder? I have wanted to look for this for a while to add a little more oil capacity, but as usual too lazy
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I use 3.5 quarts during an oil change...which is roughly what the pan and filter hold. I wouldn't lose any sleep over 4 quarts...as long as the level isn't well above the "full" range on your dipstick.

From my 2015 Owner's Manual...

Name:  capacity.jpg
Views: 1143
Size:  83.6 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon2knight View Post
    Hi all. I just had my oil changed for the first time. My mechanic said it took 4 quarts.... Despite the car manuel saying it takes 3. Both of us checked the dipstick and it reads good. Is this wrong? Cars running fine. Thanks!

3.2 qt is the sweet spot. Also, check on level ground. Ive noticed checking on an incline shows higher level on the dipstick, despite claims of anti-drainback valve in the oil filter.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just checked it again and back I go to my mechanic....sigh....it's definitely too much oil, I can't even read it on the dipstick it's so high. I knew it too....gotta listen to myself more often, lolz. At least I live close and he'll fix it no problem. Thanks all for advice, I'll show him this thread when I get back there

Just checked it again and back I go to my mechanic....sigh....it's definitely too much oil, I can't even read it on the dipstick it's so high. I knew it too....gotta listen to myself more often, lolz. At least I live close and he'll fix it no problem. Thanks all for advice, I'll show him this thread when I get back there
    Or just show him the spec in your owners manual if you have one? or this https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...4dUDCA0&uact=5

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Or just show him the spec in your owners manual if you have one? or this https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...4dUDCA0&uact=5
    Hilariously I DID show him the owners manual to prove it took 3 quarts....but he insisted it read very low when he did that and he added another quart(it's a 5 gallon jug). No issues, he'll fix it, just annoying doing it twice in one day. I wish I still had a place/space to change it myself again, but NYC is at a premium for that sort of nonsense nowadays

15. The Following User Says Thank You to dragon2knight For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (05-02-2022)

Hilariously I DID show him the owners manual to prove it took 3 quarts....but he insisted it read very low when he did that and he added another quart(it's a 5 gallon jug). No issues, he'll fix it, just annoying doing it twice in one day. I wish I still had a place/space to change it myself again, but NYC is at a premium for that sort of nonsense nowadays
    Find a walmart parking lol?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post: