Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dealer disappointments

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Dealer disappointments

New '21 Mirage and MP3 won't pair. This is discussed at length elsewhere on this forum. However, I must vent here about dealers in general and this one in particular.

Generally speaking, dealers are all about selling cars or whatever. I understand that. But product knowledge is part of the deal and nearly all of them fall very short. Specifically, a hot selling point is BlueTooth connectivity. When asked, "What WILL connect" or "What WILL pair" with the system in the Mirage we get instructions on how to do it that do not match the vehicle. The conclusion is that only a smart phone will work with this system since nothing we have will work. But we made that conclusion.

Once out the door, you are on your own or so it seems. I have made it a personal project on another brand of vehicle of a different type to force dealers and their techs to honor warranties. Even provided the means to prove the defect(s) so the dealer would get the correct component to fix the problem. My point at the time was what good is a two-year warranty it the dealer will not honor it?

We had a Chevy Spark that developed a leak at the head gasket evidenced by oily and wet seepage nearly all the way (what I could see with a light and a mechanics mirror) around at the gasket line. The service writer rejected the claim because "It was not leaking!" I suspect the tech said that because the flat rate was so small that he could make no money. Rather than discuss this I just gave them their car back. It is the LAST time I will darken the door of ANY GM dealer.

Karl

When you say you've come to the conclusion that only a smart phone will work with this system, are you saying you don't own a smart phone?

You're not the only one to have a poor time at a dealership. I've had more than one pathetic experience dealing with the nearest one to me through work. I didn't deal with sales but the service department and even parts was severely lacking in knowledge but they were sure confident they were right. Service department told me a car I took them with a nfg cvt needed spark plugs one time. They charged some diagnostics fee. When I picked the car up I went to the parts counter and ordered some cvt filters. The parts desk argued that they don't have filters in a cvt...Meanwhile the smart ass retard service moron is shouting that I better buy some spark plugs cause that's all that's wrong with that car....I drove it back to work, dropped the oil pan then called the service dick and explained that there's chunks of bearing in the oil pan, oil is pitch black. Spark plugs can't fix a transmission. Regardless plugs should be good for 160k km. Then they asked for service records for 2 "transmission flushes". It's impossible to flush these without removing the cvt cooler and bolting on a special adapter. Regardless, the car came from a different location that didn't keep service records so they denied our claim. The car had just over 100,000kms.

Another time I took them a car that would kill the throttle at random and throw abs and trac control codes. And sometimes the brake lights would stay on dimly and flicker. They said it needed a brake switch. I go to pick up the car and the brake lights are on. They "adjusted" it. I pick up the car and it acts up less than a block away. They couldn't figure it out then wanted to start replacing parts. First up was an etacs module. I said rather than buy a new one I'll send them one from a car since I have a stock pile of wrecks here. They agreed. Then once I take them the module they claimed you can't reuse an etacs module. They're one time use and can't be reprogrammed. I took the car back to the shop and found a corroded connector. The same one they did a recall on prior to stop corrosion from getting in it. I fixed it myself.
    Last edited by Fummins; 10-29-2021 at 10:06 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (03-11-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    When you say you've come to the conclusion that only a smart phone will work with this system, are you saying you don't own a smart phone?

You're not the only one to have a poor time at a dealership. I've had more than one pathetic experience dealing with the nearest one to me through work. I didn't deal with sales but the service department and even parts was severely lacking in knowledge but they were sure confident they were right. Service department told me a car I took them with a nfg cvt needed spark plugs one time. They charged some diagnostics fee. When I picked the car up I went to the parts counter and ordered some cvt filters. The parts desk argued that they don't have filters in a cvt...Meanwhile the smart ass retard service moron is shouting that I better buy some spark plugs cause that's all that's wrong with that car....I drove it back to work, dropped the oil pan then called the service dick and explained that there's chunks of bearing in the oil pan, oil is pitch black. Spark plugs can't fix a transmission. Regardless plugs should be good for 160k km. Then they asked for service records for 2 "transmission flushes". It's impossible to flush these without removing the cvt cooler and bolting on a special adapter. Regardless, the car came from a different location that didn't keep service records so they denied our claim. The car had just over 100,000kms.

Another time I took them a car that would kill the throttle at random and throw abs and trac control codes. And sometimes the brake lights would stay on dimly and flicker. They said it needed a brake switch. I go to pick up the car and the brake lights are on. They "adjusted" it. I pick up the car and it acts up less than a block away. They couldn't figure it out then wanted to start replacing parts. First up was an etacs module. I said rather than buy a new one I'll send them one from a car since I have a stock pile of wrecks here. They agreed. Then once I take them the module they claimed you can't reuse an etacs module. They're one time use and can't be reprogrammed. I took the car back to the shop and found a corroded connector. The same one they did a recall on prior to stop corrosion from getting in it. I fixed it myself.
    Fummins, you pretty well summed it up! I am continually stunned at the dealer techs being so far behind the power curve. I have been learning new stuff eagerly for 60 yoears and have a hard time keeping up with just the fun stuff. Good mechanics in my youth were genius quality in knowing systems and how to fix them. The genius these days are on the forums!
    Karl

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBOLT View Post
    New '21 Mirage and MP3 won't pair. This is discussed at length elsewhere on this forum. However, I must vent here about dealers in general and this one in particular.
    My favorite vehicles are the ones that never need to go back to the dealership for anything (no recalls or warranty work). My 1990 Ford Festiva (designed by Mazda, built by KIA, & sold by Ford) comes to mind. I drove that car for 14 years, & I don't ever remember going back to the dealership for anything.

By today's standards, it may have lacked a few things, however.

No A/C
    No power locks/remote
    No power windows
    No power steering
    No antilock brakes
    No traction/stability control
    No air bags
    No cruise control
    No intermittent wipers
    No rear wiper or wash
    No tachometer
    No cabin air filter
    No cup holders
    No arm rests
    No radio, speakers, or antenna

I'll skip listing the obvious things that wouldn't have existed in 1990 (like Bluetooth, emergency auto braking, lane departure warning, backup cameras, etc...). I sincerely miss simple, cheap cars!

I really liked that car! It's the only car I ever regretted selling afterwards. I should have kept it until the 12" wheels fell off. I earned two masters degrees with that car, & hauled several deer out of the woods with it! - Educated Redneck!

I only use dealerships for recalls, warranty work, & anything my local mechanic would recommend taking it back to the dealership for service.

Having said that, I don't think all dealership are bad. Good dealerships realize good service after the sale creates life long customers. Those who don't get that are really just hurting themselves in the long run.
    Last edited by Mark; 10-30-2021 at 02:06 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    My favorite vehicles are the ones that never need to go back to the dealership for anything (no recalls or warranty work). My 1990 Ford Festiva (designed by Mazda, built by KIA, & sold by Ford) comes to mind. I drove that car for 14 years, & I don't ever remember going back to the dealership for anything.

By today's standards, it may have lacked a few things, however.

No A/C
    No power locks/remote
    No power windows
    No power steering
    No antilock brakes
    No traction/stability control
    No air bags
    No cruise control
    No intermittent wipers
    No rear wiper or wash
    No tachometer
    No cabin air filter
    No cup holders
    No arm rests
    No radio, speakers, or antenna

I'll skip listing the obvious things that wouldn't have existed in 1990 (like Bluetooth, emergency auto braking, lane departure warning, backup cameras, etc...). I sincerely miss simple, cheap cars!

I really liked that car! It's the only car I ever regretted selling afterwards. I should have kept it until the 12" wheels fell off. I earned two masters degrees with that car, & hauled several deer out of the woods with it! - Educated Redneck!

I only use dealerships for recalls, warranty work, & anything my local mechanic would recommend taking it back to the dealership for service.

Having said that, I don't think all dealership are bad. Good dealerships realize good service after the sale creates life long customers. Those who don't get that are really just hurting themselves in the long run.
    I agree there are good dealers....somewhere. I had no reservations when we went to this one. I asked one question and received an answer that did not match the question. My conclusion has been stated. The ball is in the dealer's court and I predict it will lay on the deck unless I kick it....because they won't bother.
    Karl

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Just a quick question regarding your radio problems - are you having trouble pairing using Bluetooth or trouble getting your USB port to work? In your posts it wasn’t clear which you were trying to get working.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Just a quick question regarding your radio problems - are you having trouble pairing using Bluetooth or trouble getting your USB port to work? In your posts it wasn’t clear which you were trying to get working.
    Tried both. Neither would work. Since have determined:
    1. USB port in car has power only, no data connection.
    2. Car pairs easily with Samsung tablet(s).
    3. Device that WILL NOT pair is a cheapo MP3 player from Amazon.
    Karl

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Regarding the USB port not working, are you using the USB port/cable that's up in the glove compartment? If there is a USB outlet on the center console it may be power only. I saw a photo of a USB outlet on the center console on the Mitsubishi Mirage web site.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    1. USB port in car has power only, no data connection.
    This is interesting because it may be the first this has been reported here on the forum.

Most of these 6th generation Mirage models have a USB cable located in the glovebox. Some got the USB port located on the center console. Not sure which you have. Either location should have USB data and power available.

2. Car pairs easily with Samsung tablet(s).
    Are you referring to a Bluetooth connection here? I’m not familiar with the usage of the term ‘pair’ applied to USB connections.

3. Device that WILL NOT pair is a cheapo MP3 player from Amazon.
    Maybe the problem is with the cheapo MP3 player.

The Mirage should be able to play audio files on its own without the need for an external player. Have you tried a simple USB thumb drive? Try loading just one song on it to see if it works.

Forgive me if I’m asking too many questions, I’m not trying to be snarky or condescending here. I haven’t had problems using my USB port or pairing up using Bluetooth. I don’t however have Carplay as I have the early basic radio without a display screen.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daleWV View Post
    Regarding the USB port not working, are you using the USB port/cable that's up in the glove compartment? If there is a USB outlet on the center console it may be power only. I saw a photo of a USB outlet on the center console on the Mitsubishi Mirage web site.
    There is NO USB in glove box. There is one in the center console/ hump.

Karl

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CROSSBOLT For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-07-2021)