Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy a 2019 Mitsubishi Mirage GT Hatchback

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Hi there is it true in some parts of Quebec snowtires with studs are legal?
    Yes, & in Northern Ontario as well. I believe it is actually the law to run 4 snow tires in the winter in Quebec. I live only 1/2 hr from a boarder crossing into Quebec & sometimes you hear the studded tires here in Ontario. I think they are allowed 200 km from the boarder...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Talking

I stole this from tirecraft :
    British Columbia
    In British Columbia, the rules governing the use of winter tires, studded tires and tire chains are quite specific. In fact, in some areas, winter tires (or tire chains) are mandatory in some areas between October 1st and April 30th, and being caught without them could result in a heavy fine. During this period, studs of up to 3.5mm are allowed, and for vehicles under 4,600kgs or 10,000lbs, the maximum number of total studs is 130, or around 30 per tire. Further, if you plan to use studded tires on the front wheels, you must also use them on the rear wheels.

Alberta, Saskatchewan, Northwest Territories, Nunavut and the Yukon
    These provinces and territories have no restrictions on the use of studded tires, so you can use them as you’d like at any point throughout the winter without incurring a fine.

Manitoba
    In Manitoba, studded tires can be used between October 1st and April 30th. Beginning in 2014, Manitoba Public Insurance will offer a low-cost loan program, making it easier for all of the province’s residents to purchase winter tires. Manitoba has a particularly low rate of snow tire adoption and in order to improve safely, all residents are encouraged to use winter tires.

Ontario
    In Ontario, studded winter tires are permitted between September 1st and May 31st for drivers in northern Ontario, which includes as Algoma, Cochrane, Kenora, Manitoulin, Nipissing, Parry Sound, Rainy River, Sudbury, Thunder Bay, and Temiskaming. Below these areas, the use of studded tires could incur a fine. For drivers from outside of Ontario, studded tires can be used while travelling in the province for up to a month. During this period, the only acceptable studs are Scandinavian-made lightweight studs.

Quebec
    Quebec is the only Canadian province that has mandated the use of winter tires, and in the process reduced road accidents that cause injury by 36% and weather condition related collisions by 17%. Winter tires must be used between December 15 to March 15, and studded tires are allowed during this period as long as they’re used on both ends of the axle.

New Brunswick
    New Brunswick allows studded tires between October 15th and May 1st, and recommends the use of snow tires. However, the only legislation governing the use of winter tires is specific to school busses, which must use them during this period.

Nova Scotia
    In Nova Scotia, studded tires are permitted between October 15th and May 31st as long as they aren’t longer than ⅛ of an inch from the base of the tire or have a diameter of more than ˝ an inch. Similar to B.C., for vehicles under 10,000lbs, or 4,600kgs, up to 130 studs in total are permitted.

Prince Edward Island
    In P.E.I., studded tires are permitted between October 1st and May 31st, and the provincial guidelines strongly recommends using winter tires during this period.

Newfoundland
    In Newfoundland, studded tires are permitted between October 31st and May 1st with the use of winter tires highly encouraged during this time.

Yeah I know, another derailed thread....
    Last edited by Fummins; 03-12-2019 at 07:18 PM. Reason: cause

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I stole this from tirecraft :
    British Columbia
    In British Columbia, the rules governing the use of winter tires, studded tires and tire chains are quite specific. In fact, in some areas, winter tires (or tire chains) are mandatory in some areas between October 1st and April 30th, and being caught without them could result in a heavy fine. During this period, studs of up to 3.5mm are allowed, and for vehicles under 4,600kgs or 10,000lbs, the maximum number of total studs is 130, or around 30 per tire. Further, if you plan to use studded tires on the front wheels, you must also use them on the rear wheels.

Alberta, Saskatchewan, Northwest Territories, Nunavut and the Yukon
    These provinces and territories have no restrictions on the use of studded tires, so you can use them as you’d like at any point throughout the winter without incurring a fine.

Manitoba
    In Manitoba, studded tires can be used between October 1st and April 30th. Beginning in 2014, Manitoba Public Insurance will offer a low-cost loan program, making it easier for all of the province’s residents to purchase winter tires. Manitoba has a particularly low rate of snow tire adoption and in order to improve safely, all residents are encouraged to use winter tires.

Ontario
    In Ontario, studded winter tires are permitted between September 1st and May 31st for drivers in northern Ontario, which includes as Algoma, Cochrane, Kenora, Manitoulin, Nipissing, Parry Sound, Rainy River, Sudbury, Thunder Bay, and Temiskaming. Below these areas, the use of studded tires could incur a fine. For drivers from outside of Ontario, studded tires can be used while travelling in the province for up to a month. During this period, the only acceptable studs are Scandinavian-made lightweight studs.

Quebec
    Quebec is the only Canadian province that has mandated the use of winter tires, and in the process reduced road accidents that cause injury by 36% and weather condition related collisions by 17%. Winter tires must be used between December 15 to March 15, and studded tires are allowed during this period as long as they’re used on both ends of the axle.

New Brunswick
    New Brunswick allows studded tires between October 15th and May 1st, and recommends the use of snow tires. However, the only legislation governing the use of winter tires is specific to school busses, which must use them during this period.

Nova Scotia
    In Nova Scotia, studded tires are permitted between October 15th and May 31st as long as they aren’t longer than ⅛ of an inch from the base of the tire or have a diameter of more than ˝ an inch. Similar to B.C., for vehicles under 10,000lbs, or 4,600kgs, up to 130 studs in total are permitted.

Prince Edward Island
    In P.E.I., studded tires are permitted between October 1st and May 31st, and the provincial guidelines strongly recommends using winter tires during this period.

Newfoundland
    In Newfoundland, studded tires are permitted between October 31st and May 1st with the use of winter tires highly encouraged during this time.

Yeah I know, another derailed thread....
    I'm sure there's some type of connect between the pondering of a 2019 Mirage GT purchase in Missouri, & different snow tire requirements for Canada. I just haven't figured it out yet?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I'm sure there's some type of connect between the pondering of a 2019 Mirage GT purchase in Missouri, & different snow tire requirements for Canada. I just haven't figured it out yet?
    All seasons count as snow tires in BC. Which is why insurance rates are so high. Part of it. Get half an inch and ICBC reports 1800 claims the next day.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    If your in the military your probably in good shape. Meaning the Mirage will be comfortable if your not too tall. Seats lack support on long distance roads trips for me. But, Im 6ft 240 lbs so I sure my personal ride comfort is compromised by that. I tried using a tailbone stress seat pillow but it was too thick and I sat up way to high reducing my view.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I just press the auto function button off and just manually program my settings on the lower center control board. I believe this cycles the compressor less? Too put less stress on it I believe is the theory? Advise if possible pleaee.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I just press the auto function button off and just manually program my settings on the lower center control board. I believe this cycles the compressor less? Too put less stress on it I believe is the theory? Advise if possible pleaee.
    If you don't see the frost/snowflake symbol on your display, then the A/C is off. Yes, it is less stress on the engine and improved MPG.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I bought a 2017 Mirage ES (manual) after the 2018 models came out. The window sticker price on my Mirage was $14,220. I paid $9299. No trade, $10,153.73 out-the-door price & delivered to my home for free from a dealership 200 miles away.

$9299/$14,220 = 65.39% of window sticker. I didn't qualify for military or Mitsubishi incentives, or I would have paid less.
    From $14,220 to $10,153. That is an insane discount. I am supposed to test drive a 2019 late in the week,
    but I have all but given up on the idea of actually buying one because the online MSRP is over $14K.

Can you please sketch out the negotiation with your salesman? Or maybe you did that in another thread at the time
    of purchase?

I don't really need a new car. But were the price low enough, I would probably do the dumb thing and buy it.
    I realize the OP got an insane discount, but the military thing was the
    big factor and it doesn't apply to me. They are offering $1000 back for a cash deal and I HAVE
    to do a cash deal since I have no normal income.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderBridgeDweller View Post
    From $14,220 to $10,153. That is an insane discount. I am supposed to test drive a 2019 late in the week,
    but I have all but given up on the idea of actually buying one because the online MSRP is over $14K.

Can you please sketch out the negotiation with your salesman? Or maybe you did that in another thread at the time
    of purchase?

I don't really need a new car. But were the price low enough, I would probably do the dumb thing and buy it.
    I realize the OP got an insane discount, but the military thing was the
    big factor and it doesn't apply to me. They are offering $1000 back for a cash deal and I HAVE
    to do a cash deal since I have no normal income.
    Window sticker was $14,220 for my 2017 Mirage ES (manual) with added center armrest, pulse lighting, & Bluetooth. Window sticker doesn't include tax, registration, plates, or any other extras. I paid $9299 (9299/14,220 = 65.39% of window sticker). The $10,153.73 was the "out-the door" price including tax, registration, new Wisconsin plates, etc... I was planning to buy a $9000 Mirage from White Bear, but my car had some extras. I sensed my car was an easy find for them, it was in my first color choice, and they were already going above & beyond. I wasn't going to bicker over $300.

If I had qualified for the military discount or current Mitsubishi owner rebates being offered at the time, I would have gotten my car for less than $9299. I didn't negotiate a deal. This was their selling price for the Mirage at the time.

During the summer of 2017, White Bear Mitsubishi (Minnesota) had been advertising Mirages for $9500. I bought mine in October of 2017 after they were sold out of them. I just called them, & the manager picked up his own phone. I didn't negotiate a price. I just asked if he had any more $9500 Mirages. They found my car at another dealership in the Twin Cities on a Tuesday and delivered it to my home that Saturday. I live in SW Wisconsin, & when they offered to deliver the car to my home (4-hours away) for free I couldn't resist. I told them that I would be home at 10:30 on Saturday morning. I had a behind-the-wheel lesson that morning. When I got home at 10:25 am, the car was in my driveway. I met my salesman at that time. We did the paperwork @ my kitchen table. 10-15 minutes later, he handed me the keys to my new car. Another worker for the dealership had driven his Outlander Sport to my home, and they did the 4-hour drive back to Minnesota. Afterwards, I went bowhunting behind my house.

My local dealership wanted over $13,000 OTD for a 2018 Mirage. I just used them for a test drive.

I financed with Ally (4%/60 months) to get the price down $9299. 3 months later I refinanced with my local credit union @ 2.74%/60 months. I had two daughters get married in 2017, & that tapped my savings. Thus, I didn't mind financing at the time.

Cash doesn't always get you the best deal on new cars. You can play their game and still win out, however.

My dad bought a 2017 GMC Terrain about the same time. Even though he wanted to pay cash, he saved thousands by financing. He paid off the entire loan with his first payment (with no penalty).

Likewise, my brother just traded in his 2004 GMC pickup for a brand new 2018 GMC pickup about a month ago. He wanted to pay cash, but he saved thousands by financing at least $10,000. He can pay off the entire vehicle in 3 months with no penalty, & that is what he's going to do.

My own local credit union even told me to take the rebate upfront, & I refinanced the car as used with them 3 months later. I am planning to pay off my Mirage next month.

In summary, I asked for $9500 Mirage. If I was willing to finance $10,000 with Ally, I could get another $500 off the price. Thus, a $9500 Mirage became a $9000 Mirage. My Mirage ES (manual) had a few extras, & I paid the $9299. The OTD price (including everything came to $10,153.73, & I financed $10,000 for the final rebate. I wrote a check for $153.73 at my kitchen table that morning. If I hadn't bought a Mirage with a few extras, they would have written me a check to buy a car from them???? Go figure!!!!

I bought my car almost 1.5 years ago. I just did a 250 miles search for my car used. Three 2017 Mirage ES (manuals) came up. All three used cars are priced higher than what I paid new in October of 2017 (42,684 miles for $9390, 11,111 miles for $10,996, & 15,614 miles for $11,500). These cars will probably sell for less used, but I really can't whine about depreciation.

The average priced Ford F150 depreciates over $14,000 in one year. I plan on driving my Mirage for 10+ years, and the most it can ever depreciate during that time is $9299.

Keep in mind, a 2019 Mirage ES has more standard features now. Bluetooth, 6-way adjustable driver's seat, backup camera, & cruise were not standard equipment in 2017. Thus, I would expect to pay a little more for a 2019. I suspect late summer & beyond would be the best time of year to buy a discounted 2019 Mirage.
    Last edited by Mark; 03-24-2019 at 06:15 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for clearing that up. Darn. These folks didn't advertise their Mirages at all as far as I know. I had responded to some Mitsubishi Corporate advertising and they pointed me to dealers in area. But the late summer tip makes me feel better. I can go ahead with the test drive and if I like it, I will revisit the idea post-summer. That will give me time to sort out my Corolla and sell it, if I don't grow fond of it, that is. Again, thanks. You made out like a bandit, for sure. Congratulations.
    (And I simply could not get financing. They want some kind of steady income and all I have is savings. So no go.)