Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Surprising garage stats: comparing numbers of CVT vs. manual Mirage owners

Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    Used one online or from a junkyard?
    For a used one online from a junkyard. Go look on car-part.com. They fit 15-17 for sure 18 might work too? I think 14 is different? Found a few in Texas for $150usd. Cheap like borscht.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Marklovski (06-12-2019)

The cvt's aren't very light, I'd say they weigh about the same as the engine. They're relatively simple inside as far as the cvt part works it's just like a skidoo or quad.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

again: cars.com transmission numbers

Out of curiosity, doing another search of transmission type availability...

Last time...

On Cars.com in the U.S., there are 547 used 2014+ Mirages for sale right now...

87 are listed as manual transmission.

So, that's 16%.
    Hatchback: today there are 1741 used 2014+ Mirages for sale right now with transmission type indicated...

• 177 are listed as manual transmission
    • 1564 CVT

So, that's 10% manual for the hatchback.

G4 sedan: there are 1741 used 2014+ Mirages for sale right now with transmission type indicated...

• 156 are listed as manual transmission
    • 1366 CVT

So, that's 10% manual for the sedan as well.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Daox (07-24-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's depressing.
    Simplify and add lightness.

On the bright side, it's still heads & shoulders above the U.S. fleet average for manual transmission take rate.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

Mirage manuals

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    On the bright side, it's still heads & shoulders above the U.S. fleet average for manual transmission take rate.
    Dropping the manual transmission on the Mirage SE models in 2018 probably doesn't help present/future manual sales numbers either. Even though I have a 2017 Mirage ES (manual), I can see why many are attracted to the SE trim level. The addition of cruise, alloy wheels, and more adjustable front seats are a bit of a draw to that trim level. Cruise and alloy wheels can always be added to a base model, but a highly discounted SE model is a nice package.

Good point. I wonder why they did that.

I just checked the Canadian specs, and the only way you can get factory cruise or alloys is to go with the GT!

Everything else is just a version of the base (ES here) trim.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    [Admin note: next 2 posts copied over from another thread]

Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Thanks MetroMPG, I will check this out. Only 10-16% are manuals eh, no surprise there. That's probably a high percentage compared to overall new car and truck sales across the board, except maybe for Subaru Impreza's and some Mustangs etc.
    The Mazda Miata may be one of the last cars sold in America that has a higher percentage of manuals sold than automatics, but I am not even sure about that in recent years?

I hate to see manual options disappear, but it's a trend that probably isn't going to change.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I hate to see manual options disappear, but it's a trend that probably isn't going to change.
    Not just with transmissions, either. Pretty soon "manual" will mean a human doing the driving instead of a computer. Google's been operating their autonomous fleet in my area for years. GM as well. Uber, too, for a time, but we don't talk about them anymore...

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The Mazda Miata may be one of the last cars sold in America that has a higher percentage of manuals sold than automatics, but I am not even sure about that in recent years?

This article claims 76% of new 2018 Mazda Miata's sold in the USA were with a manual transmission, so vast majority. I did not know this, but I knew the Miata is known to be the most pure and simple of sports cars, whether by engine or weight or size, rear wheel drivetrain, like a British MG.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/05/15/...ual-take-rate/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)