Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Calling all of the 60mpg veterans.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    If that's a concern for you, how about trying a two-lane road with a lower speed limit?

Sounds like you know these fuel economy numbers are doable.
    There is one way out of my place. It's a 90km/h single lane where most people do 110-140, hehe.

Yeah I just needed some encouragement more than anything.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    Yeah I just needed some encouragement more than anything.
    The best encouragement I can offer (to anyone whether going for improved fuel economy or just as a general driving reminder) is to just slow down. The only reason for speeding is to feed one's ego. Instead, leave earlier.

Try it once - it won't hurt. But you'll be surprised at how well the Mirage responds without many modifications.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Another tactic: The handful of aerodynamic mods I tested on the 2014 Mirage 5-speed I had for a couple of weeks were good for a 4.5% improvement in fuel consumption at 90 km/h (56 mph).

That'd get you to 4.0 L/100 km (theoretically).
    Thread: Mirage aero mods for better fuel economy: 4.5% improvement @ 90 km/h / 56 mph

Add increased tire pressure (if you haven't already) and you're in the high 3.x range.

There's more in the aero department I could have done to the car that I didn't have time for.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

MID accuracy in question during EOC

Also, I mentioned this in a PM to nickels:

Based on my brief experience with the 2014, if you're doing P&G or engine-off coasting, I don't think the fuel economy gauge registers properly -- it UNDER reports the MPG improvement.

Something to do with keying off and back on again, I suspect. So your actual fuel economy may already be better than what's shown on the screen. If you're seeing 4.2, your actual may already be high 3.x.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Does P&G ruin your starter quicker or other components? Not sure if that trade off is worth it.
    Last edited by Mirageman38; 10-02-2019 at 01:41 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    So your actual fuel economy may already be better than what's shown on the screen. If you're seeing 4.2, your actual may already be high 3.x.
    I've seen the opposite.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Easy enough to test: find a long enough descent where you can kill the engine, then reset the meter during the coast. See if it reports 999 mpg or 0.0 L/100 km when it updates?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    Does P&G ruin your starter quicker or other components? Not sure if that trade off is worth it.
    When doing P&G with engine off coasting (EOC), you will typically use your clutch to bump start the engine. This definitely takes some practice, but once you get the hang of it it can be done very smoothly. You rarely have to use the starter more than normal. Doing things this way I've never had a problem with a worn starter on a car, and I've used this technique a lot over the years. Alternatively, you can P&G with the engine on for lower gains in mpg.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Just once my Mirage returned 22.4km/L which is ~63mpg Imp. It was an Indian summer day in the fall when I drove to Weather Tech to get my mats. The trip was about 80km, driving along ~57-63mph. The return trip was slightly less, about 22.1km/L so I know there wasn't a tailwind on my outbound trip.

Many times I've 21km/L + but it drops to 18.5-19.5km/L or 52-55mpg IMP.

I find it interesting my little Mirage almost matches the MPG I get riding my 400cc Suzuki Burgman scooter!!
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Easy enough to test: find a long enough descent where you can kill the engine, then reset the meter during the coast. See if it reports 999 mpg or 0.0 L/100 km when it updates?
    I have kept track of my MID-B MPG readings for each tank. Every tank I use pulse & glide more than usual, the MID-B MPG reading shows higher than for normal driving.

For example, fuel economy calculations for a fill-up that had a lot of engine-on coasting, the MID-B MPG reading will be off by 5-6 MPGs. Normal MID-B MPG error lifetime has been ~+2 MPG. Refer to my Forum Fuel Economy log for details.

I haven't done engine-off coasting, except for the first couple of tanks. I found it was too much work.

All this to say that in my experience, the MID fuel economy gauge is not exactly accurate, and it gets worse during coasting. I have no doubt that coasting uses less fuel, but don't trust the gauge for accurate feedback. I set up a spreadsheet to keep track of fuel economy for my cars. I find it helps to know lifetime performance.