Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stolen keys fiasco: inept locksmith wiped my computer and now it needs dealer service

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Stolen keys fiasco: inept locksmith wiped my computer and now it needs dealer service

I was mugged last week and my keys were lost in the incident. Unfortunately I only got one set of keys with my 2015 Mirage when I bought it used. A locksmith came out with some generic keys and attempted to program them but failed. Little did I know (and perhaps him as well?) that he mistakenly wiped the computer system while attempting to pair the keys with the vehicle and thus the second locksmith who came armed with a pair of legit Mitsubishi key fobs (at over $200 each, distributor cost!) was unable to do anything and said my only option is to bring it to the dealership to get reprogrammed. The closest dealer to me that I had called the day after my robbery quoted three hours labor at $140 which is why I went with a locksmith in the first place. I’m trying to come armed with some knowledge to counter offer any unrealistic time quote or repair parts they might try to pull on me. What should I expect, what should I tell them, and is $140 an hour a fair rate (I’m in northeastern Maryland)? The locksmith mentioned my keyfobs can be able to be reused and the computer doesn’t need to be replaced or anything. I’ll need to do some calculations with tow costs vs quoted labor costs but I’m planning on shopping around at various area dealers for the least shady option and the best price.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to penn_matte For This Useful Post:

mohammad (10-13-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    And is there a non-dealership repair option for this?

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Dealer can make a key even if you lost all your key you don't need a locksmith.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Yeah, that's a good point about a dealer making a key. You might even want to call and talk to Mitsubishi North America customer support and see what they say. [For vehicles sold in U.S.A.] To contact Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc. call 1-888-648-7820.

There is section 5-5 that describes how a customer (except Canadian customers) can program keys. It does mention to start with a known good key, so maybe that may not work in this case.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    This is free internet advice…so take it for what it’s worth.

Do you have a 2015 ES (push-button start) or do you have physical cut keys? I'm not sure it matters since you have 0 working keys.

If you are programming keys to a vehicle (when you are starting out with 0/1 original keys), then Step 1 (in some vehicles) is to completely erase the existing key coding in the car’s computer. Then you can begin the process of programming the new keys (Step 2).

The risk in this process is that if your locksmith doesn’t have good/updated software OR you are trying to use unproven/generic/eBay keys that don’t work with your car, then Step 2 may not work!

A local locksmith described this exact scenario to me. A guy came in with 1 working key and wanted a new one programmed to his Nissan. In this situation, the locksmith’s software required him to wipe out the existing code in the computer and begin the process of coding the keys. He got the existing code wiped out, but then he couldn’t get his software to begin the process of learning the keys! So this customer drove in with 1 working key…and now the car was a brick. The customer’s key no longer started the car. The car had to be towed to the dealer to complete the programming process.

I would call some more locksmiths and explain your situation. See if anyone is confident that their software will work in this scenario.

I purchased used fobs for a push-button start Nissan on eBay and had them successfully programmed by a dealer. But if you buy used fobs you need to make sure that the part numbers, FCC IDs, etc. match the OEM fobs for your car. And buy them from a reputable seller.

I went to a Nissan dealer with 1 working fob and 2 extra eBay fobs (but these were OEM fobs that matched the original in every way). The dealer charged me 1 hour ($120) to program all 3. It worked fine, but they warned me that if my eBay fobs didn’t work, they were still going to charge me 1 hour of labor. They said that people were bringing in all kinds of aftermarket keys/fobs and many times these wouldn’t work.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by allrock View Post
    Dealer can make a key even if you lost all your key you don't need a locksmith.
    The locksmith was going to be substantially cheaper than the dealer. Even the more legit second guy was only going to charge 200 for labor and saved me on the keys as he charged me distributor prices as he felt bad for my situation. The dealer was going to charge 350 a key.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    This is free internet advice…so take it for what it’s worth.

Do you have a 2015 ES (push-button start) or do you have physical cut keys? I'm not sure it matters since you have 0 working keys.

If you are programming keys to a vehicle (when you are starting out with 0/1 original keys), then Step 1 (in some vehicles) is to completely erase the existing key coding in the car’s computer. Then you can begin the process of programming the new keys (Step 2).

The risk in this process is that if your locksmith doesn’t have good/updated software OR you are trying to use unproven/generic/eBay keys that don’t work with your car, then Step 2 may not work!

A local locksmith described this exact scenario to me. A guy came in with 1 working key and wanted a new one programmed to his Nissan. In this situation, the locksmith’s software required him to wipe out the existing code in the computer and begin the process of coding the keys. He got the existing code wiped out, but then he couldn’t get his software to begin the process of learning the keys! So this customer drove in with 1 working key…and now the car was a brick. The customer’s key no longer started the car. The car had to be towed to the dealer to complete the programming process.

I would call some more locksmiths and explain your situation. See if anyone is confident that their software will work in this scenario.

I purchased used fobs for a push-button start Nissan on eBay and had them successfully programmed by a dealer. But if you buy used fobs you need to make sure that the part numbers, FCC IDs, etc. match the OEM fobs for your car. And buy them from a reputable seller.

I went to a Nissan dealer with 1 working fob and 2 extra eBay fobs (but these were OEM fobs that matched the original in every way). The dealer charged me 1 hour ($120) to program all 3. It worked fine, but they warned me that if my eBay fobs didn’t work, they were still going to charge me 1 hour of labor. They said that people were bringing in all kinds of aftermarket keys/fobs and many times these wouldn’t work.
    Yep I have the push start 2015. What you described about the guy with the Nissan is exactly what happened to me and that’s what the second locksmith warned me about (I had contacted him first, but he wasn’t super responsive to texts and calls and I was desperate to get my one and only car back online so I could get to class/work so ended up calling around and went with some contractor). Now I’ve been carless for almost a week which honestly is a bigger hassle than no phone, laptop, email access, cash, credit cards or ID.

Sounds like the software needed to reprogram is likely only available at a dealer. Anyone have experience doing a complete car reprogram? Not sure if that’s any more difficult or time intensive than just reprogramming or cloning a couple new keys.

The fobs are authentic Mitsubishi ones from a distributor. They have the blank passenger side keys that will also need to be cut.

It sounds like you're stuck going to the dealer for a reflash unless you can find an independent shop that might have a subscription to mitsu software? If that's even a thing. Or maybe it doesn't need a reflash. Who knows...
    We can't fix your car and don't know what the locksmith did to it. You could always try to source out some cheapo fobs, tow it to the dealer and have them attempt to get the cheapo fobs to work. Or try some used ebay ones?

Either way, end up with 2 keys for next time.

I haven't programmed a mitsu key but have done a newer Nissan key with just an Autel scan tool.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    It sounds like you're stuck going to the dealer for a reflash unless you can find an independent shop that might have a subscription to mitsu software? If that's even a thing. Or maybe it doesn't need a reflash. Who knows...
    We can't fix your car and don't know what the locksmith did to it. You could always try to source out some cheapo fobs, tow it to the dealer and have them attempt to get the cheapo fobs to work. Or try some used ebay ones?

Either way, end up with 2 keys for next time.

I haven't programmed a mitsu key but have done a newer Nissan key with just an Autel scan tool.
    The second locksmith who seemed super knowledgeable said the first guy zeroed it out accidentally and he saw nothing when he hooked up his tool to the car so had nothing to pair it to. And yeah I’ve got two keys now. I never lose stuff so figured it wasn’t worth the several hundred bucks for a new one (I’m a poor student) but hadn’t really considered getting robbed on the street. Any idea if the one dealer that quoted three hours for a reflash seems accurate?

That I couldn't tell you.I'd figure an hour would be enough but maybe theirs more time needed? Push button, have a coffee, wait an hour...push another button?
    I don't have access to a labor guide anymore. I gotta go to my old work and grinch their new username and password.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)