Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winter tires?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomfromparma View Post
    IÂ’m just going to tell them itÂ’s for a 2001 Civic and go up there in my wifeÂ’s car with a 5 bolt pattern!
    I bought a pair of Nokian Nordman 7 snow tires in December/2017 & a pair of steel rims ($50 each new). At the time, no one in town could clone a Mitsubishi tire sensor. If I want to add cloned sensors to my snow tires, I suspect that I would have to buy an Autel TS408 tool and their Autel clone-able MX-sensors. I would clone the new sensors myself & ask my local mechanic to install them (& rebalance the wheels).

https://www.amazon.com/Autel-MX-Sens...09641512&psc=1

I was not aware of clone-able sensors that would work at the time of my snow tires purchase. Thus, I just dropped off the new steel rims and new Nokian snow tires at my local mechanic. He mounted/balance them for me, and I gave him a $20 bill. There's no record of what was done.

Most tire shops will probably write on the receipt that the "rims & tires" were brought in separately & not installed on the vehicle. That should cover their butt! If that's not good enough for them, it's not the type of auto shop I would do business with.

I don't see this being a problem. You are making your vehicle safer by adding snow tires. That's better than running summer tires. My TPMS dash light is now on for the winter. I call it my snow tire alert light. It reminds me that my snow tires are on my Mirage & Forester. Just in case I would forget that!

By the way - my Forester snow tires have sensors in them. $160 wasted, because they aren't cloned to my factory tires. Unless I have a tool to reprogram my car every time I change tires, adding new sensors to snow tires is a waste of money. If I can't clone my snow tires to my factory tires, I'm not messing with them.

Our TPMS don't need to be this complicated. I'm really not impressed with this feature. At one time, I owned a 1999 Ford Explorer with Firestone tires (Ford/Firestone history in the making). Thus, I get why we have this! Still don't like it!!!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Hey Tomfromparma any updates?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for asking! I was able to get them on late Monday at a shop recommended to me by one of my employees with no questions asked. 150 miles later and it seems like I lost about 7-10 miles per gallon. The 175/75/14 look so much more aggressive and they really bite in the snow so the extra noise and mpg hit seem to be worth it. I’ve had winter tires since 2004 and can’t imagine going a winter without them. Hopefully it’s not a bad winter but at least I’m ready.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.8 mpg (US) ... 18.6 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Great tire choice! I’m rocking the same ones, just studded. I use discount tire but I’m in the Dayton area.
    2017 Mirage - track project and DD
    1990 Talon TSi - E3 16G turbo, FIC 980s, 27psi, DSMlink, tons of mods. The heartbreaker.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomfromparma View Post
    Thanks for asking! I was able to get them on late Monday at a shop recommended to me by one of my employees with no questions asked. 150 miles later and it seems like I lost about 7-10 miles per gallon. The 175/75/14 look so much more aggressive and they really bite in the snow so the extra noise and mpg hit seem to be worth it. I’ve had winter tires since 2004 and can’t imagine going a winter without them. Hopefully it’s not a bad winter but at least I’m ready.
    175/75-14 is a large tire for a Mirage.

165/65-14 are 22.4" in diameter (factory 14" tire size)

175/65-14 are 23" in diameter (2.7% variance) - common size being used by many members with many options.

175/75-14 are 24.3" in diameter (8.5% variance)

It's usually recommended to stay within 3% variance on tires. Your new tires are almost 3 times that. If a tire shop isn't going to question anything, I would be careful what they put on your car then. I hope they work out for you.

I don't notice that much of a drop in mpg with 165/65-14 snow tires. A few mpg are lost during the winter months regardless of tires, however.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    175/75-14 is a large tire for a Mirage.

165/65-14 are 22.4" in diameter (factory 14" tire size)

175/65-14 are 23" in diameter (2.7% variance) - common size being used by many members with many options.

175/75-14 are 24.3" in diameter (8.5% variance)

It's usually recommended to stay within 3% variance on tires. Your new tires are almost 3 times that. If a tire shop isn't going to question anything, I would be careful what they put on your car then. I hope they work out for you.

I don't notice that much of a drop in mpg with 165/65-14 snow tires. A few mpg are lost during the winter months regardless of tires, however.
    Fat fingers strike again! They are actually 175/65/14. I noticed the speedometer is now correct at highway speed where it used to be off by one mph before.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.8 mpg (US) ... 18.6 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Powershiftmatt View Post
    Great tire choice! I’m rocking the same ones, just studded. I use discount tire but I’m in the Dayton area.
    Do you use the one by Dayton Mall?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff151 View Post
    Do you use the one by Dayton Mall?
    I have used that Discount Tire location and have had really good luck there. They also have a Bartec tool that can perform a TPMS relearn on a Mirage. Not all shops can do that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I have used that Discount Tire location and have had really good luck there. They also have a Bartec tool that can perform a TPMS relearn on a Mirage. Not all shops can do that.
    Thanks that's good to know. I'm from the Middletown area so that is a short drive and a good to know fact.