Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Changing or removing Spark plugs & Coil packs

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    People drive these horrible little cars because they get such great gas mileage.
    Well, I love my little horrible car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Eggman (07-11-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Well, I love my little horrible car.
    Mine is an uncomfortable piece of crap with very few aftermarket parts and outrageously priced OEM parts, but it sure is reliable and gets good on gas.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Mine is an uncomfortable piece of crap with very few aftermarket parts and outrageously priced OEM parts, but it sure is reliable and gets good on gas.
    Considering you've put over 200K miles with no mechanical issues I'll give you uncomfortable (seats could be better of course) but piece of crap I gotta challenge you a little. You could have spent double the price of a Mirage, been really comfortable but had a host of reliability problems. It's a basic no frills econobox. Yes, it's cheap, yes it's noisy, yes it's underpowered but dang if it isn't reliable and efficient. It's no powerhouse for sure, but you can certainly get a speeding ticket in one.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Considering you've put over 200K miles with no mechanical issues I'll give you uncomfortable (seats could be better of course) but piece of crap I gotta challenge you a little. You could have spent double the price of a Mirage, been really comfortable but had a host of reliability problems. It's a basic no frills econobox. Yes, it's cheap, yes it's noisy, yes it's underpowered but dang if it isn't reliable and efficient. It's no powerhouse for sure, but you can certainly get a speeding ticket in one.
    It is a very reliable and efficient piece of crap. I like the smell of my turd.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

inuvik (07-11-2018)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    can anyone put other spark plugs part number here that is compatible with the mirage??
    ive search for the NGK that was posted here and its not that cheap.
    i wanted something that is bang for the buck plugs that will not burn my pocket too much hehe

I wouldn't use any other than Japanese Iridium plugs, being NGK DILFR6A11 or Denso FK20HR11 for good reason!

Beware! The temperatur range groups used by Japanese plug manufacturers to gauge heat dissapation is not fully compatible with non-Japanese makes! For example, a group 7 category Japanese plug is heat-wise about in the middle between what "Famous Non-Japanese brands" call group 7 and what they call group 8. If you would replace a Japanese group 7 plug with with a non Japanese make plug according to the plug manufacturers list, you just may get an engine knock from an overheated plug. In that case our cars would detect knock and retard timing, getting even hotter and use loads more gas, but knocking would persist. Thats very bad. I replaced an otherwise sound Nissan engine for that very reason some years ago...

If you buy cheap non-Iridium plugs, you will find out they will not last anywhere near as long, may have the wrong heat category, will fail early, and may have had a higher misfire rate and wasted fuel because the thin-tipped iridium have a lower voltage requirement. That costs you much more than the most expensive set of plugs.

Maybe Denso Iridium is cheaper than NGK Iridium in your country?

Have a look for DENSO FK20HR11
    Last edited by foama; 07-11-2018 at 10:38 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    OEM plug is an NGK LZFR5BI-11 (Mitsubishi #1822A086). The Denso IKH16TT is an equivalent.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Could be. NGK is what they come with. The IKH16TT has the same specs...just made by Denso.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    OEM plug is an NGK LZFR5BI-11 (Mitsubishi #1822A086). The Denso IKH16TT is an equivalent.

That contradicts my info.
    It would be interesting to know where those differences are and come from!
    That may highlight regional differences. Compression ratio in Europe is 11.5:1 for the 1L and 11.0:1 for the 1.2L.
    Lowest octane rating for fuel in this part of the world is 95ROZ octane rating.
    Maybe there are no real differences, just different NGK or Denso part numbers according to region?

My European 2014 owners manual says for all models NGK DILFR6A11 which is what the car came with.
    According to the official DENSO European online catalog, the equivalent is Denso FK20HR11
    The FSM makes no mention about the type of plugs.
    Last edited by foama; 07-11-2018 at 10:36 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    That contradicts my info.
    It would be interesting to know where those differences are and come from!
    That may highlight regional differences. Compression ratio in Europe is 11.5:1 for the 1L and 11.0:1 for the 1.2L.
    Lowest octane rating for fuel in this part of the world is 95ROZ octane rating.
    Maybe there are no real differences, just different NGK or Denso part numbers according to region?

My European 2014 owners manual says for all models NGK DILFR6A11 which is what the car came with.
    According to the official DENSO European online catalog, the equivalent is Denso FK20HR11
    The FSM makes no mention about the type of plugs.
    There must be regional differences in the plug specifications, then. The NGK LZFR5BI-11 is what I just pulled out of my US-spec Mirage, and are also what came out of the car in this thread. If Europe is getting different plugs then I am sure there is a reason.

Here is where I got my info...

http://www.sparkplug-crossreference....bishi/1822A086
    Last edited by Cobrajet; 07-11-2018 at 12:59 PM.

11:1 compression and 95 octane? Our lowest here is 87, compression ratio here is 10.5:1 . There seem to be a lot of differences in the Europe models. Completely different rear brakes, rear fog lights, different keys and now compression ratio and spark plugs.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)