Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trailer MPG experiment, or pickup truck?

Now remove the rear seat cushion and see if it fits in there lol. I just measured my pressure washer at 37" high, and with the seat cushion removed there's 38-39" clearance. Think of all the glaciers you just melted!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    What I mean is that linked Curt hitch tray is $102.50. Plus tax and shipping it would probably be $110 - $115. And I don't know when I would ever use it again. Spending $110 just for a one time use of the platform is not something I care to do. That's my logic. If I had a daily or weekly use for it, it would be money well spent. In my case, it's a great product, but I only have one use for it, so not money well spent.

290 miles / 35 mpg = 8.3 gallons x $2.929/gallon = $24.27.
    290 miles / 42 mpg = 6.9 gallons x $2.929/gallon = $20.22 (not towing).

Only gonna take ~$5 premium in extra gas towing that trailer by my estimate. Quite a deal! What a vehicle this Mirage is!
    I think you aren't thinking clearly on how useful that little platform would be. All kinds of crap would fit on there for a short jaunt across town with your latest yard sale score. At least that's why I wanted one...

Oh and like I said, just make it with whatever scrap angle iron and junk you have laying around.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    You used that big of a trailer for that pressure washer??? I thought it was a big pressure washer... Good for you
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

bde269 (09-14-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Naw - It would have fit in the Mirage, but I didn't want to spill gas in the Mirage. Plus ... it's research!
    Last edited by 7milesout; 09-15-2021 at 12:41 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-14-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Now here is a example of someone that wasn't afraid to push the envelope.

Name:  This is how you tow in Oregon.jpeg
Views: 824
Size:  93.7 KB

Craziest thing is that the driver didn't even get a citation, only a warning!!!

https://nbc16.com/news/local/police-...oat-with-sedan

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    There's a noticeable difference between 8,000 pounds and 800 pounds. And, just for research, I measured the hiney drop of the Mirage when attaching my trailer. I measured at the hitch bar. The hitch bar is what the ball attaches to, and inserts into the hitch receiver. So the drop at the rear fender wells would be some percentage less.

The drop was very close to 3/4 of an inch. I could have broke out my calipers to be more accurate, but it was very close to that. For those of you who seem to think an 800 pound trailer is some kind of insurmountable wreckless clutch destroying hazard for a Mirage, it is not. I have my doubts it would be much of a challenge for a CVT. Nor did I have any problems with handling. It towed it straight down the road, no wobbling, weaving, nothing. It towed like a champ. But I've towed a lot. I worked while in college. Loading and unloading 33' twin trailers. Part of my job was moving the trailers around in the yard. Which required backing them up ever single time I got under one. I had to back this trailer up a few times. It was super easy, the car has great visibility and is so maneuverable.

Once I was out on the interstate, at 72 mph, the hills on the interstate did not pull the speed down. The modification I made to drop the gate forward to remove the wind drag, makes a big difference. It pulled that trailer quite easily.

I wonder how mechanic is doing on his WI to TX relocation? Need to go dredge that thread back up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't think anyone here ever insinuated that this wasn't possible - in fact, multiple people posted example of towing far more without incident - myself included. The response was that this was just generally unadvisable (and actively discouraged by the manufacturer in all their official documentation), and that your logic was rather questionable given that you are quite vocal about the fact that you own a significant fleet of vehicles - at least one of which is designed specifically to perform tasks related to moving heavy equipment.

However, I recognize that some people enjoy a challenge, and/or are eager to confrontationally waggle their middle finger to perceived authority just for the sake of it. As such, I am glad that everything went well and that you and your property are safe, and that you feel satisfied that you have cheekily gotten away with something.

These cars really are the best kept secret in the auto industry!

In other news, I found out recently that you can even tow with a Super Cub (although I'm not sure I'd call that advisable, either):

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  90.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    I don't think anyone here ever insinuated that this wasn't possible - in fact, multiple people posted example of towing far more without incident - myself included. The response was that this was just generally unadvisable (and actively discouraged by the manufacturer in all their official documentation), and that your logic was rather questionable given that you are quite vocal about the fact that you own a significant fleet of vehicles - at least one of which is designed specifically to perform tasks related to moving heavy equipment.

However, I recognize that some people enjoy a challenge, and/or are eager to confrontationally waggle their middle finger to perceived authority just for the sake of it. As such, I am glad that everything went well and that you and your property are safe, and that you feel satisfied that you have cheekily gotten away with something.

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  90.8 KB
    I got's to ask, do you speak just like you type?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post

These cars really are the best kept secret in the auto industry!

In other news, I found out recently that you can even tow with a Super Cub (although I'm not sure I'd call that advisable, either):

That was very well said! In a pinch, a Mirage will get the job done as long as you keep your loads relatively small. If you need to move a couch, a small trailer & the Mirage will get the job done.

It's also true that guys tug small trailers with cycles. It becomes a vicious round of events. You buy a trailer to haul your cycle. Then buy a trailer for your cycle to pull.

My Dad & brother live much closer to each other. They both have full-size pickup trucks. In spite of that, they share 4 different trailers (including one that is boat trailer) to haul stuff. One is heavy duty enough to haul a skid steer or medium size tractor/loader.

Trailers are handy. If I lost mine today, I would be buying a replacement tomorrow.