View Poll Results: Would you have chosen the 1.0L engine if it were an option?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely! Even better economy and enough power for me.

46 59.74%
  • Hmm... I'd have to compare against the 1.2L.

7 9.09%
  • Only if they turbocharge it!

16 20.78%
  • Not a chance! 1.2L is as low as I will go.

8 10.39%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: 1.0L Mirage engine = 7.5% better fuel economy. Would you choose it?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What is the price premium for a 1.2? if it was cheaper to get a 1.0 i probably would get it.

i have learned to not care about people passing me because when i did no more than 60mph on my way back from a recent road trip i got 54.5 mpg avg.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 54.7 mpg (US) ... 23.3 km/L ... 4.3 L/100 km ... 65.7 mpg (Imp)

Good question. Europe is currently the only market where you can choose between engines. And the 1.0 is priced lower.

But the way fuel economy is marketed these days in North America, I wouldn't be surprised to see the smaller engine priced a bit higher than the 1.2, along with a few other economy modifications, and sold as a special "Eco" model.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrero View Post
    What is the price premium for a 1.2? if it was cheaper to get a 1.0 i probably would get it.

i have learned to not care about people passing me because when i did no more than 60mph on my way back from a recent road trip i got 54.5 mpg avg.
    In the Netherlands the 1.2 Manual shift is about 723,- euro (7.6%) NET more expensive compared to the 1.0. For this price you also get the 15" alloy wheels to go. But you can only get this 1.2 MS in Intense trim.

Furthermore they charge you about 625,- euro extra TAX because it has more grams of CO2 (100g) per km...

In total you would pay about 1500,- euro more for the 1.2 (MS) with the 15" wheels.. (in 2013).

For the same price you could also have the 1.2 Invite CVT with 14" steel wheels (you would also miss the Climate Control, Keyless Go, Fog lights and some other stuff), but with the CVT they don't charge you the 625,- euro extra TAX because it has less grams of CO2 (95g) per km...
    Last edited by zefke; 01-23-2014 at 06:31 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Spacestar Invite 1.0 manual: 48.2 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zefke View Post
    Everytime when I try this, somebody behind me is getting pretty frustrated !!
    The key is to find the right truck to follow, put on ski mask and ignore mode on.
    Last edited by m4v3r1ck; 01-23-2014 at 10:59 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Sadly the 1.2 needs morr power. Most hills I face while driving means I have to downshift back to 2nd. Rather snnoying when you are in 5th

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So Mitsubishi and Dodge used to be good buddies. Well the new Dart has a 1.4T! Im kinda thinking that it would be nice of Dodge to let them put that 1.4T in a Mirage/Attrage ralliart

A FIAT engine in a Mitsubishi?! :O

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah JT View Post
    Sadly the 1.2 needs morr power. Most hills I face while driving means I have to downshift back to 2nd. Rather snnoying when you are in 5th
    That's a good point: local topography is going to dictate engine preference. Most of my driving is on pretty flat land. I'd be satisfied with a lot less power than someone who lives around the mountains.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    A FIAT engine in a Mitsubishi?! :O

That's a good point: local topography is going to dictate engine preference. Most of my driving is on pretty flat land. I'd be satisfied with a lot less power than someone who lives around the mountains.
    Yes, that's true! If you are doing a lot of hill's the high rpm at which you have some torque can be annoying! The Power (71Hp) is OK though!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Spacestar Invite 1.0 manual: 48.2 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistah JT View Post
    do you mean while driving city speeds? (around 25mph) if so i used to have the same issue in my old car and that had around 220hp, One unexpected benefit i found to the cvt is how well it copes with hills both going up and down.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 54.7 mpg (US) ... 23.3 km/L ... 4.3 L/100 km ... 65.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrero View Post
    do you mean while driving city speeds? (around 25mph) if so i used to have the same issue in my old car and that had around 220hp, One unexpected benefit i found to the cvt is how well it copes with hills both going up and down.
    In the CVT, you won't feel it as bad, it is still there since it is a low powered car trying to go up a hill.
    I drive manual, so I have to shift down 3 gears so it will even maintain speed.
    There is a huge hill down south, which I am NEVER going to try and go up, my last car was revving hard getting up it and it is twice as powerful. Trucks usually go up it around 20km/h it is that steep.