Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Horrible mpg

I haven't been trying at all lately to get decent fuel economy but It's still good. I checked the average economy on the trip "B" side(Total overall lifetime economy/unless it's been manually reset) and it shows 40mpg which is what my average on Fuelly shows. I've got slightly taller than stock tires(175/65r14) so add another mpg or 2.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,388 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HezWag View Post
    Last night on my way to work I was averaging 46mpg. So it is amazing how different the car runs now. My niece named my car Marsha. Well, Marsha is earning her keep lately. I’m very happy with the Mirage and don’t understand all of the negative reviews. A car is a way to get from point a to b and Marsha does that well. I appreciate this forum because I’ve learned a lot and look forward to years of saving gas money!
    Marsha is a good name for a car. My car was named by the saleslady that sold me the car. She texted me one day and said something to the effect. We've got the car cleaned and ready for you, it's a cute little blueberry. And thus, is why I call my car, the Blueberry. I don't get the negative reviews either. Perhaps the worst thing about the car is, the 'ride & handling.' I think the interior has had some revisions over the years that makes my 2020 not have such a "cheap" look on the inside as the older ones. And I've heard the ride is better from 2017 and on. Regardless, it does ride, well ... cheap. Which would be a problem if it were say, a Lexus or Cadillac. You'd expect a luxurious feel to the ride. But this is a very inexpensive car. You must expect less. Most reviewers do not. I expected even less. But it gets the job done.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Name:  6620FC9A-5E1F-42CD-88F0-BC53DF1796CC.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  53.0 KB
    Finally figured out how to post a pic of my $6000 2019 Marsha. I’m happy with her.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HezWag View Post
    Name:  6620FC9A-5E1F-42CD-88F0-BC53DF1796CC.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  53.0 KB
    Finally figured out how to post a pic of my $6000 2019 Marsha. I’m happy with her.
    In today's market you should be thrilled with Marsha! A 2019 Mirage with 41,000 miles could have cost twice that amount of money at any dealership today. Your uncle sold you a very nice car at a wonderful price!

Plus Marsha will be easy to maintain, reliable, and very economical to drive. Your new ride looks great, too!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't understand. How could fresh engine oil cause an increase in MPG if it completely independent? I thought high MPG occured by light press on gas pedal, cruise control on highest gear possible, fresh air filters, and more importantly low resistance tires and weight?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    In today's market you should be thrilled with Marsha! A 2019 Mirage with 41,000 miles could have cost twice that amount of money at any dealership today. Your uncle sold you a very nice car at a wonderful price!

Plus Marsha will be easy to maintain, reliable, and very economical to drive. Your new ride looks great, too!
    I am thrilled. It took me a little while to get used to driving such a small car. I am used to driving a Silverado so it was an adjustment. But I drive 58 miles one way to work. the gas for the truck would take a huge chunk out of my paycheck. It just worked out that my uncle had this car at the perfect time.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle88 View Post
    I don't understand. How could fresh engine oil cause an increase in MPG if it completely independent? I thought high MPG occured by light press on gas pedal, cruise control on highest gear possible, fresh air filters, and more importantly low resistance tires and weight?
    Too much oil will cause poor MPG - this is what was happening before the oil change. 3.2 quarts were added instead 3.2 litres (!)
    Last edited by 88coltturbo; 07-15-2022 at 08:09 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.1 mpg (US) ... 17.0 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 48.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,388 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle88 View Post
    I don't understand. How could fresh engine oil cause an increase in MPG if it completely independent?
    You missed a post or 2 somewhere. It wasn't the fresh oil. It was just less oil, because his had been way overfilled. I can't remember if he just drained some out or just changed it again and put the right amount in. I don't know the fact, but I *think his crankshaft was probably splashing through the depth of the oil. And doing so was dragging down the engine ... or in other words, the crashshaft being forced through some depth of the oil was requiring extra expenditure of energy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 88coltturbo View Post
    Too much oil will cause poor MPG - this is what was happening before the oil change. 3.2 quarts were added instead 3.2 litres (!)
    This story is being twisted somewhat. 3.2 quarts = 3 liters That would be a non-issue.

The mechanic added 5 quarts of oil in his Mirage. He's lucky that it didn't cause any major damage to the engine.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    This story is being twisted somewhat. 3.2 quarts = 3 liters That would be a non-issue.

The mechanic added 5 quarts of oil in his Mirage. He's lucky that it didn't cause any major damage to the engine.
    My fault/mistake for the misinformation

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.1 mpg (US) ... 17.0 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 48.1 mpg (Imp)