Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rod knock after oil change....no outright signs of what caused it.

I think the US gets kinda screwed as for the 10 year transferable warranty and it's shortened to only 5 years or something like that? I'm fairly sure up here the 10 year powertrain warranty is transferable but you may need proof of maintenance.

There were recalls issued for 2014 and at least some 2015(maybe all?) regarding engine noise. The dealer would perform an ecu reflash and if the engine was noisy it'd be replaced. Or should be replaced?

Here's a video of my first 2014 that I bought in 2019 with 36k km(22,000miles). It wasn't noticeable on the highway but at low speeds it sure was. I don't know what the cause/noise was, piston slap, rod knock? I dunno....I never tore into that one. https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Io9r5PRbIFw I drove it like that for a year then took it into the dealer complaining about engine noise and said it burnt oil(it didn't use oil) and they replaced it for free. The car had about 30k miles on it by that time and I had no past service history for the car.

There's an American user here on the forum(Dodge Aries K) that I'm pretty sure has had multiple engines replaced in various Mirages that he bought used.

And here's what a Mirage rod knock sounds like https://www.youtube.com/shorts/B_DavJ1ZLfY This one just started hammering when I was heading home from work. Sounded like pinging at first but nope. I limped it home and it was extremely loud by the time I made it home. The video was taken a while after it had a chance to cool down. It's way quieter in the video than it was while I was driving it! Since this car had no warranty I just bought a used engine with around 4000miles on it from a 2017 for around $6-700 and a cvt with less miles for $500. I may have been able to try and attempt a recall engine but didn't bother trying and being out $150 diag fee.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (01-19-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I think the US gets kinda screwed as for the 10 year transferable warranty and it's shortened to only 5 years or something like that?
    Yep. The full 10 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty only applies to the original owner in the US. The next owner gets 5 years/60K miles.

The bottom line for the OP is that whatever this issue is, it isn't going to be covered by a 10 year/100K mile powertrain warranty.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

And...I don't think I'd be going after the oil change place unless they filled your engine with gas or something that wasn't oil. If the level was correct when you checked it yourself(you did do that right?)then it's pretty doubtful that they did anything wrong. If they forgot to tighten the filter or drain plug(it'd fall out by now within an hour or so of driving...don't ask me how I know) then you'd have no oil in it and be right to blame the oil change place.

I'd find a different dealer with the proper recall info in hand. You'd think a dealer would look up recalls on every car that drives in but I guess not.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Yep. The full 10 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty only applies to the original owner in the US. The next owner gets 5 years/60K miles.

The bottom line for the OP is that whatever this issue is, it isn't going to be covered by a 10 year/100K mile powertrain warranty.
    I agree. But it's possible that it'll be covered by a recall.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (01-19-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Or possibly covered by an unwritten goodwill Mitsubishi warranty. As a company I can't recall more than a handful of cases, if that, where they tried to weasel out of a fix for free if it really was their problem. Mitsubishi learned their lesson with the WWII POWS they put into slavery. When they finally apologized some 50 years later it started a corporate changeup for the good. Shortly after they fessed up some of the coolest cars ever made came from Mitsubishi. Since then they have led the industry with warranty's which by and large, are so good they aren't needed.

Start with the district manager for your area, they can/will push the dealership to dig deeper.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Czech Republic
    Thanks
    This is more or less what it sounds like. Perhaps because it just started, its not as loud (yet) But without a doubt the same thing. Im assuming I should continue to not drive the car.
    スペーススター

Supēsusutā

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMW View Post
    Did 2015 models come with a 10 year powertrain warranty? Is the warranty transferable? If yes to both, you are still covered
    In the States, the Mirage would come with a 5-year/60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty, 10-year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty, and 5-year/unlimited mile roadside assistance.

Only the 1st warranty transfers to a 2nd owner. His Mirage was 6 years old when he bought it used. Thus, I stated things as I did.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

BigMW (01-20-2023)

Country
    Czech Republic
    Thanks
    I did a VIN search on the mitsu website and nothing came up. So I guess I'll call the dealership it was purchased from? Boy, this just keeps getting worse and worse it seems. What used to be a 18 minute drive is now a 2 hour bus/trolley commute and a 22 minute walk. Perhaps it's time to throw in the towel...
    スペーススター

Supēsusutā

Quote Originally Posted by supesusuta View Post
    This is more or less what it sounds like.
    Could you be slightly more specific? Sounds like one of my 2 cars, both, first one, the second one?

I really don't think it matters if the recalls have been done already or not.
    The over-fuelling ecu reflash/engine replacement recall was done on my car 6 months to a year before I bought the car. All they did was reprogram the ecu and kick it out the door.

When I took the car into the dealer I didn't mention a recall cause I knew it was done already. I expected if it was going to be a warranty claim then they would have asked me for maintenance records of some sort. I don't know which way things went for me but all I know is it was a pretty simple process.
    Last edited by Fummins; 01-19-2023 at 06:29 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Do you mind telling us what you paid? If your car still runs even with noise and such crazy low miles there are people out there, like me, that would buy your car in a minute and I'd drive it till it blew up and then drop in my $500 used engine.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)