Thread: Adjusting Brightness on Instrument Panel Light Dimmer Control

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Adjusting Brightness on Instrument Panel Light Dimmer Control

Does anyone has any luck adjusting the brightness level with ease?

I tried following the direction as shown on the attached image and it did nothing for me, really

The stick switch couldn’t be rotated like a door knob like other cars. It could only be pressed.

I just need this done for myself thanks to stupid day light savings.

Name:  71993D1D-E50B-4D88-BB86-C14FD9B26B29.jpg
Views: 2887
Size:  94.7 KB

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    so press it quickly until you get to the spot where you adjust it. Then press and hold it in until you get the desired brightness.
    It's not the greatest system.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cleadus_fetus For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-17-2023),Mark (03-17-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cleadus_fetus View Post
    so press it quickly until you get to the spot where you adjust it. Then press and hold it in until you get the desired brightness.
    I agree it's sort of lame system, but it can be done.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Man I still can’t get this right. Annoying!

Wish someone could share a short video here. Either I’m overthinking this dumb set up or mine has a defect (unlikely).

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle88 View Post
    Man I still can’t get this right. Annoying!

Wish someone could share a short video here. Either I’m overthinking this dumb set up or mine has a defect (unlikely).
    I have only adjusted mine once, & it was several years ago. I had to go outside & see how hard it is to adjust (because I couldn't honestly remember).

I had no problem adjusting mine.

1. It can only be found/done with the parking or headlights turned on. Car turned on is not necessary. Keys aren't even necessary.

2. Then I push the icon button to find the dash light dimmer symbols.

3. Once I find those, I just press & hold. As I do that the settings constantly change. I just need to release the button at the setting I want quickly. I was looking at it during the bright of day, but doing it at night would be better in my opinion.

The different settings appear something like this -
    0000 / -000 / --00 / ---0

There are 2 beeps/circle to remove one. Thus, 8 different levels of brightness.

I would rather have a knob on the dash. Since I haven't touched mine in some time, I would have had to look it up in the manual (page you shared).

Mohammad or Fummins - one of you guys needs to do your stuff & crank out a video for us!
    Last edited by Mark; 03-20-2023 at 03:24 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

mohammad (03-20-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    1. It can only be found/done with the parking lights turned on (not headlights turned on).
    This. As long as you turn on the lights it seems to come up for me. with or without the car started. as long as the key was in at least acc. or on.

Please let us know how this turns out for you.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This. As long as you turn on the lights it seems to come up for me. with or without the car started. as long as the key was in at least acc. or on.

Please let us know how this turns out for you.
    Yes, I will add.

You don't need your keys, nor do you need to start the car. My car has been sitting & not started for days.

You simply turn on the parking lights or headlights, and you can adjust them like I described above. I went out & tried this again without my keys, & I can adjust the interior lights when the parking lights &/or headlights are turned on.

Unlike many vehicles, the Mirage dash lights don't come on unless you turn on your parking lights or headlights. I love this feature of the Mirage. How many times do you see people leaving a bright parking lot & forgetting to turn on their headlights? I see that all the time. That doesn't happen if you have a dash that's dark like the Mirage. You notice you lights aren't on right away this way!
    Last edited by Mark; 03-19-2023 at 10:27 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Yes, I will add.

You don't need your keys, nor do you need to start the car. My car has been sitting & not started for days.

You simply turn on the parking lights or headlights, and you can adjust them like I described above. I went out & tried this again without my keys, & I can adjust the interior lights when the parking lights &/or headlights are turned on.

Unlike many vehicles, the Mirage dash lights don't come on unless you turn on your parking lights or headlights. I love this feature of the Mirage. How many times do you see people leaving a bright parking lot & forgetting to turn on their headlights? I see that all the time. That doesn't happen if you have a dash that's dark like the Mirage. You notice you lights aren't on right away this way!
    The mirage doesn't have a headlight on indicator or automatic headlights on the base trim. I have accidentally turned off my headlights when turning on the turn signal and not noticed before. Also thank you for the video idea Mark.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    The mirage doesn't have a headlight on indicator or automatic headlights on the base trim. I have accidentally turned off my headlights when turning on the turn signal and not noticed before. Also thank you for the video idea Mark.
    We are discussing how to dim the dash lights on a Mirage.

I have never seen a vehicle that didn't offer this feature, & that's going back to vehicles from the 1960's.

The Mirage doesn't need a "headlights on" indicator, because the dash lights up when you turn on your headlights.

My Forester dash is always lit up (once started), & it has day running lights. In that case, a "headlights on" indicator is more useful.

Whereas, the Impala I use for driving school has day running lights & auto headlights. There's no headlight indicator, but I can tell when the sensor turns on the headlights (because the dash dims down slightly).

None of this has anything to do with the original topic ("how to adjust your dash lights"), however.

Last edited by Mark; 03-20-2023 at 06:55 AM.