Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Speedometer is fast, 2nd Mirage with same problem

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    "Boy, you're in a whole HEAP o' trouble." But actually $119 is pretty cheap.

Sorry to you about your brothers. My brother died 11 years ago (hard to believe). Then my mother (2019) and my father (2021) earlier this year. I have an older sister, but that's all I have left. Hard to believe it's just her and I.
    I will trade my younger sister for your older sister! Har, har!

Karl

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,388 Times in 1,007 Posts
    SOLD! Your sister will never forgive you! (The chains won't allow her access...)

I jest ... of course.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Doesnt the speedometer over reporting speed mean that fuel economy is worse than the MID is showing us? i use tires that are 4.9% larger in diameter than OEM. They are also 4.9% more circumference. Comparing my speedometer to phone mapping apps it is now accurate with these tires on the vehicle.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    Doesnt the speedometer over reporting speed mean that fuel economy is worse than the MID is showing us? i use tires that are 4.9% larger in diameter than OEM. They are also 4.9% more circumference. Comparing my speedometer to phone mapping apps it is now accurate with these tires on the vehicle.
    I calculate my mpg by using the odometer (not the speedometer).

miles traveled divided by gallons of gas used

If larger tires make my odometer reading off, my mpg calculations reading will be off, too.

I wouldn't know how to calculate my mpg using a speedometer reading?

I don't understand the logic of countries mandating speedometer readings being off. Seems stupid to me! Do countries mandate odometers readings?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I calculate my mpg by using the odometer (not the speedometer).

miles traveled divided by gallons of gas used

If larger tires make my odometer reading off, my mpg calculations reading will be off, too.

I wouldn't know how to calculate my mpg using a speedometer reading?

I don't understand the logic of countries mandating speedometer readings being off. Seems stupid to me! Do countries mandate odometers readings?
    Mark,
    isnt the odometer reading based on the speedometer reading?

if i drove a constant 60km/hour on the speedometer for 1 hour wouldn't the odometer show 60km?

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    Mark,
    isnt the odometer reading based on the speedometer reading?

if i drove a constant 60km/hour on the speedometer for 1 hour wouldn't the odometer show 60km?
    The source for distance traveled will be the same, but how it is displayed is up to the gauge manufacturer. The time that a speedometer cable connected the speedmeter and odometer directly to a wheel axle, has far gone. Now the wheel rotation is feed to a microcontroller, which shows some number in the odometer (km or miles, is adjustable and doesn't matter, as it actually measures wheel rotations) and puts the speedometer needle in some position. Don't know how, maybe a rotary coil meter, or even a stepper motor, but there is anyway no direct connection between the sensor and the gauge. So the manufacturer can easily change the needle position a bit to meet the law, without being inaccurate on the odometer. (I once tested my odometer against Google Maps for a 250km drive, and the difference was less than 200m, which far better than I expected. Yet my car has been approved for use in the EU, so I know the speedometer is off by 5% or something)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Do countries mandate odometers readings?
    How about the United Nations?
    Some ghostdrivers don't believe in universally valid international agreements and regulations and think they have the liberty to write their own opposing "standards".

See: https://unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/tran...gs/r039r1e.pdf

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Some ghostdrivers don't believe in universally valid international agreements and regulations and think they have the liberty to write their own opposing "standards".

"Liberty"..what a concept.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Which comes first, the odometer or the speedometer? Depends on the instrument principle.

Strictly mechanical: chronometric as in the Smiths of England samples every 5 seconds (or so) the distance travelled and shows this as speed while the odometer registers the distance by gearing.
    Electro-mechanical: distance by gearing while speed is a magnetic rotational force opposed by a spring on the needle shaft. Standard in USA until the advent of the computer.
    Electronic: sensors count pulses on tone ring attached to either a wheel, ring gear or transmission output shaft for didtance while computer integrates pulses vs time to step motor speedo. Minimal mechanical (tone ring), major electronic.
    Karl

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post

If the United Nations is involved in speedometer/odometer readings, that would be quite silly!

I don't share you love of governmental mandates, but I respect the fact that you embraced them. I am not saying all mandates are bad either.